• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

My Mara Jade WIP

jwnikita

I have acquired the first few pieces for my Mara Jade Decipher card build. Everything but the shin guards I already own and use for my current Mara.

The wig I'm hoping will be acceptable. "Red" is a pretty vague term.

The boots I plan to remove the decorative buckles but I'm wondering if the elastic will be ok? I have large calves and most boots done for me.

The gloves and buckle will be ok I think.

I did start a thread in my own Garrison but I wanted to do it here as well.

447397eb4bfd651fa5a3a62bc356e577.jpg639c096aab01718a984cb6e248a8a5de.jpg5a3ee6ce5ee095a99c48fb8b171b54e9.jpg2ca5fc6215b40a3a08a476f6439f2d99.jpg

• Like 1

Good news is I've seen Maras approved with that colour of red hair, so unless your GML gets a bee in their bonnet it's probably ok. I went for an orange-y-er colour, but that's cause I fell in love with her from the books where they describe it as "fire".

Gloves & shins look solid to me.

Can you take the lip off the belt buckle? She isn't pictured with a raised edge anywhere.

The boots I think are going to be down to your GML. I've seen folks with similar approved and rejected with similar, so I'd see what your garrison says.

Good news is I've seen Maras approved with that colour of red hair, so unless your GML gets a bee in their bonnet it's probably ok. I went for an orange-y-er colour, but that's cause I fell in love with her from the books where they describe it as "fire".

Gloves & shins look solid to me.

Can you take the lip off the belt buckle? She isn't pictured with a raised edge anywhere.

The boots I think are going to be down to your GML. I've seen folks with similar approved and rejected with similar, so I'd see what your garrison says.

Anything in particular about the boots? I already removed the buckles and the attached straps. I pretty much need the elastic panels as most boots don't fit my calves.

As for the belt buckle, it's metal  so I'd have to grind down the lip with my Dremel tool. Not sure how that would turn out. I'll keep on the lookout for a totally smooth one.

I have seen the same with boots. Just make sure that all embellishments are gone and if when you remove them that you dont cut them off. Unpick it from the boot. Otherwise the leather will show white from cutting.

As for the elastic on the boot. Know the calves feeling. I am a.30cm calf and most boots are tight. I got riding (horse) boots. Similar to imperial officer boots. Surprisingly fit my calf! No embellishments and markings. They are Dublin all purpose knee high boots

Good luck! You have some awesome stuff started!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Anything in particular about the boots? I already removed the buckles and the attached straps. I pretty much need the elastic panels as most boots don't fit my calves.

As for the belt buckle, it's metal so I'd have to grind down the lip with my Dremel tool. Not sure how that would turn out. I'll keep on the lookout for a totally smooth one.

Just the elastic, especially with one that wide. I've seen GMLs who say no to it. It will depend on your GML though. If the shin guards totally cover the elastic, you'll have an easier time getting away with it I'd imagine (score one for comic-book version).

OK I tried the boots on with the shinguards and they do not cover the elastic portion. Bummer! I do not have the money to buy expensive riding boots without zippers and such nor do I think they would actually fit my calves is years of playing soccer and martial arts have caused me to have nearly 17 inch calves. Is synthetic leather a possibility? I tried on my husbands Sith boots and they actually fit but they are the Fantasma ones from Amazon.

Doing a quick search on eBay, I did find Russian World War II officer boots that are leather with a box calf which I'm not really sure what that means. 386d287fc9486b454a62c617d0d47057.jpgd37e03a73a741569f674f3b5b23e0611.jpga88183b1b7a3a03c2c9566327e52c038.jpgba9be81dc3bc091c89df86abc50b9d17.jpg7f0bac5e27c6c5780aa35a80c2bfd20e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, what I'd say is go ahead with your build and post photos of the two together up on your garrison forums in a WIP thread before you do anything else. If the GML doesn't take issue with it then you may not have to do anything or buy anything else. For the amount of time that it would take to ask, I think that's worth it isn't it?

I have those shin guards, and they will get you approved. Just removed the small piece at the bottom. I also used that exact same buckle initially, and it will not be accepted. I would either dremel it down or buy a new one from tandy. For the boots: they will most likely be accepted because the elastic portion will be mostly concealed by the straps of the shinguards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am also posting to my Garrison forum under a WIP thread, but responses are slow right now and it's a pretty small garrison(less than 50 I think).  I will take a pic of the boots with the shinguards over then and post there to get my GML's input once he's back from SWCC.

On another note, I spoke with the company tahat will be making  the belt and holster rig and the harness and they will supply the correct buckles. So no need to find that, at least!

• Like 1

I think that's doable. I'd try to get it submitted as such before you go buy new boots.

Based on feedback from a Rebel Legion GML, that's pretty much what was suggested.

Does the placement of the guards look ok? Are they low enough on my shins?  They end just above where my ankle and foot meet, maybe an inch above.

Here is my lightsaber. It is from Ultrasabers and is called Emperor's Hand! It is relatively new to their line, came out in February and I was so excited when I saw it. There is no sound card in mine as I purchased it for heavy dueling purposes. The LED is currently white/silver as I was hoping to play around with color disks but I didn't get the color I wanted. I have a violet amethyst LED on the way. 0175d5f1a9909929891df36614fd2b41.jpg658527215897802f2fe117c495d402c5.jpg

• Like 2

So this is on sale at JoAnn Fabric

http://www.joann.com/cosplay-by-yaya-han-4-way-pleather-fabric-black/14748685.html

This is the type of fabric I want to use, correct?

Yes it is. That is the same fabric i used for my jumpsuit: a9bf553a157b757c04160448d6f4b514.jpg

• Like 1

Yes it is. That is the same fabric i used for my jumpsuit: a9bf553a157b757c04160448d6f4b514.jpg

sweet! Now to find the correct pattern

Here are some photos of the boots with the shinguards. I tried to get as close as possible for details.63b1bf5f66bbed2300a6f7afed3a5acc.jpg5bdb7e6e251d9990a699aa1ac4fcb457.jpg4f734333b7fb743b2d4ae09bfeff09b2.jpg3ed2715132e5c36a5485d0dfee0157f2.jpg1d169912c44b8890589d289c6f2da79d.jpgbe18bd032798a46559234fdb7ea5dac0.jpg645ff0558e2bf540b01d9b6a0c8033b2.jpg

That should most likely work, and the placement seems pretty good! The shin guards fit you way better than they do me. I'm insanely small and they are HUGE on me, but they still accepted them, so you should be good.

• Like 1

sweet! Now to find the correct pattern

I used yaya han's jumpsuit pattern, but it took an insane amount of altering to get it right. I wouldn't recommend it unless you've had a lot of pattern altering experience. (Plus the torso is about four inches too short on just about everyone so...)

I used yaya han's jumpsuit pattern, but it took an insane amount of altering to get it right. I wouldn't recommend it unless you've had a lot of pattern altering experience. (Plus the torso is about four inches too short on just about everyone so...)

I was wondering if anyone had use that pattern as I saw it when I was looking for stuff on the Joann fabric website. Good to know about your experience with it. Fortunately I will be commissioning a very experienced seamstress who is familiar with costumes standards for 501st and rebel legion. I am confident in her skills. Assuming of course I find the right pattern for her to work with. I also have red suggestions and of course from past experience in other things that have been made for me, to make the pattern first out of different material just to make sure it's all good and then to use the super expensive fabric.

I was wondering if anyone had use that pattern as I saw it when I was looking for stuff on the Joann fabric website. Good to know about your experience with it. Fortunately I will be commissioning a very experienced seamstress who is familiar with costumes standards for 501st and rebel legion. I am confident in her skills. Assuming of course I find the right pattern for her to work with. I also have red suggestions and of course from past experience in other things that have been made for me, to make the pattern first out of different material just to make sure it's all good and then to use the super expensive fabric.

Making a mock up first is definitely the best idea.

I was just lazy and i hate doing mock ups so i just hoped for the best and bought a little extra fabric in case i messed up (which i did. Especially on the crotch diamond.)

I thought of something else to ask here after using my lightsaber at dueling rehearsal tonight.....my hilt has a covertech wheel on it, and I already have a black covertech clip. Are there any regulations or standards for the clip (color, style, etc)?

It wasn't too short on me. I actually loved using that pattern. Fits amazingly and actually allows for curves, so it looks so much better. I went through 4 different patterns and felt this was the best.

@jwnikita If it helps, this is what I did: http://withoutastitchon.blogspot.ie/2016/05/mara-jades-bodysuit.html

As far as I can tell, there is no pattern on the market that both fits the body and doesn't require altering to get the pattern right.

• Like 1

I thought of something else to ask here after using my lightsaber at dueling rehearsal tonight.....my hilt has a covertech wheel on it, and I already have a black covertech clip. Are there any regulations or standards for the clip (color, style, etc)?

I don't believe so. Pretty sure any covertech clip is approvable.
  • Like 1