• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Tips for the Cape and hood?

Littbuff

Hey guys im in the final stages of getting my costume for Nihilus done in time for Celebration -Insert massive sigh of relief here-  I am going to tackle the cape and hood this weekend, Do you guys have any tips on how to go about this? Any suggestions on making it and putting it on the costume? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated thank you!

I had gotten a wide plastic hair band and built the corner horns off of it out of eva, craft foam and some scrap Sinatra.

18fce777c31509f264e10f8582780cfe.jpg

The eva foam is used for the base corners with 2 or 3 mm craft foam layed over to get the shape. The scrap sintra or pvc foam board is glued to the head band and is shaped to your head.

d5b2b4d00442c7768c871ae7c57008cf.jpg

As you see from the image above the craft foam is cut in a triangular piece bridging the corners and the back of the head. This gives the flattop look to the character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I had gotten a wide plastic hair band and built the corner horns off of it out of eva, craft foam and some scrap Sinatra.

18fce777c31509f264e10f8582780cfe.jpg

The eva foam is used for the base corners with 2 or 3 mm craft foam layed over to get the shape. The scrap sintra or pvc foam board is glued to the head band and is shaped to your head.

d5b2b4d00442c7768c871ae7c57008cf.jpg

As you see from the image above the craft foam is cut in a triangular piece bridging the corners and the back of the head. This gives the flattop look to the character.

Very creative I wouldn't have thought of that. I made a worbla crown. The way it's strapped on allows me to kick it up for quick facial access. Was wonderful at Seattle comicon. 4d0714e50875cdc8156fbeabae593c9f.jpg9ff1ea32acc4c80f093c56f4d2d040ac.jpgb6aefc6a850af546e185f839e352dd9e.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6

• Like 1

That's a great tip! Do you attach your mask to this as well? Or some other method?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It does attach to the mask by Velcro at 3 points, but does separate. My mask has 1" elastic straps that secure it to my head over my blackout mask.

55861DCF-62F9-40A2-9C12-F2357D175464_zps

Then I can just slip the hood on over.

Very creative I wouldn't have thought of that. I made a worbla crown. The way it's strapped on allows me to kick it up for quick facial access. Was wonderful at Seattle comicon. 4d0714e50875cdc8156fbeabae593c9f.jpg9ff1ea32acc4c80f093c56f4d2d040ac.jpgb6aefc6a850af546e185f839e352dd9e.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6

That's like the fiberglass head firm that Scott, SL 5862 makes and sells. It's a great idea, the only reason I didn't do it is I didn't have access to the materials at the time.

I have a crown piece that I bought that makes the shape of the entire head.

gELKKsJ.jpg

Yes this is what I have too. I got it off of Etsy from twilek pam. I added two strips of velcro that attach under my chin so it's like a helmet and then my mask goes on. How did you guys do the cape? Did you just get a big long piece of fabric and sewed it onto the shoulders or something? How did you guys attach the hood and cape together? This part is really confusing to me and i know deep down it is probably just very simple lol. Thank you all for the fast replies though.!

The cape and hood should be one single piece of fabric.  I used the guide from this site http://chucrew.com/Nihilus/nihilus.html  It has a great description of how to make the cape/hood.

Yeah I have been following that guide. it says there are two separate layers an inner cape  and an outer. Is that still 501ST approve able ?

Technically there are 2 separate capes, but this is only to give it more volume without putting strain on your hear and neck. If you do it right you'll never know there are 2 capes.

I do the same thing. Also the one piece cloak comes from the KOTOR model of the character. When SL 5862 built the costume he only had the one picture from the CotF game and that was the front view. So he took aspects of the KOTOR model to fill in the blanks. So the CRL's are based off of the first person to to have the costume. Since Scott's costume was the first for that version his take has become gospel. In the recent months people have been challenging this and the debate arises. 4f6c0ac31a64187e779ac22071b345b0.jpg

As to see from my pictures you can't tell how many pieces my cloak is made from.

I posted a new draft of the COTF CRL several weeks ago.  You can find it here if you would like to look at it or comment http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2331-darth-nihilus-cotf-update-crl/

As i'n no native speaker, i have to admit that i'm struggeling with this part in the CRL draft...

Referring to the picture posted above, version B is the way to go now?

Or are both allowed then?

My problem: My hood/Cape is in the making right now and it will look like version A actually.

As i don't when the CRL will change, i don't know what to do now [Have to admit that i like the version A much better ;) ].

Thanks for the clarification. The actual text in the draft was not clear to me.

Maybe another formulation/phrasing would help us foreign troopers for better understanding. ;)