• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Mara Jade: Arica--Decipher/Blue Costume

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

For less confusion, this is a thread for the Decipher/Blue version of the Mara Jade as Arica at Jabba's Palace costume.

Per Pam:

The name Arica is an alias used by Mara Jade. When Palpatine orders her to assasinate Luke Skywalker, she infiltrates Jabba the Hutt's palace while Han Solo is still there encased in carbonite, and then poses as the dancer Arica while she waits for Skywalker to arrive. Obviously, things didn't turn out as she planned!

There are two costumes worn by Mara while she is posing as Arica. One is a blue-violet body suit with one long leg and one long sleeve. This costume can be seen in Issue 1 of the "By the Emperor's Hand" costume series, and it has been accepted for 501st membership. The other Arica costume, which is primarily a fishnet bodysuit and thigh-high stockings, can be seen in Issue 2 of "The Last Command" comics as well as on a Decipher card. I have not yet heard of this costume being accepted for 501st membership, and as far as I know there are not three reference pictures available for that costume. It may also be a bit too risque for most of our events.

I have been working on a costume standards proposal for the first Arica outfit, and I figured it was time to post what I have so far. I would really appreciate hearing some suggestions and ideas for improvement, especially from the ladies who have made this costume and know what it takes to give it the right look!

Reference Photos of the Decipher costume:

arica3.jpg

AricaDress.jpg

Posts from other thread:

Kim:

And yes. I think the Decipher version of the costume would likely be too much for some family-friendly events. I think the same rules as apply to Slave Leia at an event should apply to the Decipher version.

Thomas:

It is not an easy thing to wear such a figure revealing suit, but in both cases I dare say the result is flattering.

Kimberly's Decipher Arica was well made. By design the costume is better suited toward family oriented events than Enslaved Leia. (Wizard World is as family friendly as any 501st event, and I saw no rude reaction to Kimberly's attire.) ...

Arica is Mara Jade disguised as a professional dancer for Jabba the Hut. As such, Arica has been classified as a Denizen.

Kim:

The hardest part to figure out was what to do for footwear since you never see below thigh level in the pic.

I just figured it would be similar to Leia's boots, so went that direction.

And then at least my feet are warm. LOL

Pam:

Arica's blue dress footwear is very easy if you want to be accurate to the first reference.... she's barefoot!!

But, since it's not safe (and usually not allowed) to run around convention centers barefoot, I would say that using boots similar to Leia's is a good option. It's an established style of footwear for Jabba's palace. Another option could be sandals like the ones Mara wears with her Arica jumpsuit outfit.

Let the discussion begin...

I'd like to thank Pam for providing us with the reference Decipher must have used in making its image. It is like a bit of gold to me, as some folk challenged my approval of the costume for the Legion based on the single reference. Finding a reference to predate the first helps to validate the decision in this instance.

Costume well,

Thomas

I'd like to thank Pam for providing us with the reference Decipher must have used in making its image. It is like a bit of gold to me, as some folk challenged my approval of the costume for the Legion based on the single reference. Finding a reference to predate the first helps to validate the decision in this instance.

You're welcome, and I'm glad I could help!

The hair is a different color (I'll never understand Decipher's reasoning for that), but it's definitely the same costume.

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous

The hair is a different color (I'll never understand Decipher's reasoning for that), but it's definitely the same costume.

Pam and Kim could you do this costume as a blonde since she has blonde hair in the comic book? It would save me from buying one more darn wig!!! :P

Guest Cleverlilminx

I think since there is a reference for each, that either or hair color is ok...

But what about the other variances between these two versions?

I'm the wrong person to ask about variations! I'm quite a pefectionist, so as far as I'm concerned, having an occasional comic colorist or Decipher photographer get a design wrong doesn't make it right for our costumes. Mara Jade is a redhead. It was established in the By the Emperor's Hand comics that she had red hair while she was in Jabba's palace... and we can best maintain our high 501st costuming standards by wearing accurate costumes. That includes the correct color of hair. I recently spent a good deal of time and money looking for the most perfect Mara wig available... so I know how difficult that challenge is. But the final look is definitely worth the extra trouble!

Also, please keep in mind that the art I posted is not exactly what is represented in the comic. Every color in that particular panel is much lighter than it would be in real life. They made the colors look very faded in order to make it obvious that this was a flashback scene. Jabba looks like an albino, and Mara's bright blue outfit is light gray! In an attempt to improve the too-light coloring before I uploaded the picture to my ftp space, I darkened the file a bit. Darkening gave more depth to the colors and made the artwork more viewable, but the colors remained washed out, thus leaving Mara's hair looking blonde. Therefore, I believe that the color is not an accurate representation of what her hair should be; it's simply a 'foggy' flashback scene.

Guest Cleverlilminx

Ok ladies, now is the time to get the legion standards for this costume in order.

We have one approved version of the costume in the legion already.

Pam, can you site the page(s) number(s) that this info regarding hair color for this costume is on?

Since this costume has limited references, we need to pull from everywhere that we can.

Guest Anonymous

I already have a red Mara wig so it is no big deal. But the Decifer card hair color is black and that is the way Kim went. I have seen the comic book and yes it is "washed out " looking but it does appear blonde to me. Mara was in disguise at Jaba's palace so could either black , red or blonde hair be acceptable? Let me know what you gals think.

Ok ladies, now is the time to get the legion standards for this costume in order.

We have one approved version of the costume in the legion already.

Pam, can you site the page(s) number(s) that this info regarding hair color for this costume is on?

Since this costume has limited references, we need to pull from everywhere that we can.

Comic books don't have page numbers, so I can only tell which book it's in. Issue 2, I believe. (I'm at work and don't have it on hand at the moment.)

It's a simple fact of life that there are going to be different artist's renditions of each character when they exist only in the EU. That will always be a bit of an annoyance for many of us purists, and a happy excuse to change things for those who want more variety. What is right? That question will get you a hundred different answers, depending on who you ask!

I don't really care for this costume, the artistic variances frustrate me, and I already contributed heavily to the other two Mara standards... so, I'll leave the drafting of this costume standard to someone else! Have fun, and as you write, remember that you're representing the 501st Legion... the group with a reputation for high quality and standards!

I already have a red Mara wig so it is no big deal. But the Decifer card hair color is black and that is the way Kim went. I have seen the comic book and yes it is "washed out " looking but it does appear blonde to me. Mara was in disguise at Jaba's palace so could either black , red or blonde hair be acceptable? Let me know what you gals think.

My first thought was "disguise" also, but the Emperor's Hand comic shows dozens of images of her in Jabba's palace with red hair... so that makes little sense. Personally, I think Decipher messed up when they called a woman with black hair Mara, because they were working off the comic art, which most definitely doesn't have black hair! It's washed out and looks to be more of a strawberry blonde because of that, which isn't really accurate, either. Perhaps they were trying to give the impression of her being in disguise for the sake of their card, or they were playing off the old rumors that Mara was in the movie scene looking into the rancor pit, because I believe the girl everyone thought was Mara might have had black hair. Who knows!

Guest Anonymous

Pam: I agree. I have no idea why Decipher chose to use black hair. I always assumed it was because she was in disguise.

But then again, I also don't know why they made the Corran Horn to look old, bald and ugly. He is supposed to be short, but hot. *shrugs*

Hair: I think that black and blonde to strawberry blonde should be the colors. Not red. Especially since Zahn has stated in person that her hair isn't red. It is strawberry blonde (that is his meaning of red-gold).

Black hair should be straight and around shoulder length. The strawberry-blonde is shoulder length or longer.

Bodysuit: Black fishnet bodysuit without sleeves. There may be a privacy lining under the black fishnet as long as the nude effect is preserved. The neckline of the bodysuit comes at least to the base of the neck and may extend slightly above the base of the neck. There should be a blue double hand-like applique with 5 "fingers" to each half. The applique should have the following details:

a. Two triangular topstitched details from the top edge on each side

b. A circular topstitched detail containing 2 concentric "circles" and central line

EDIT/Continuation:

Skirting: Same blue material as the "hands." It should consist of a front and a back drape that are open at the sides to the waist. The drapes should extend below the knees. The two drapes are connected to each other by a strip of the same blue material as the drapes no less than 3/4 of an inch wide.

Stockings: Black thigh-high stockings with or without feet. A thigh band with silver decorations as in the comic image/reference may be added.

Footwear: Officially no shoes as shown in the comic. However, due to convention ease sandals (such as seen in the Emperor's Hand version Arica) may be worn. Alternatively boots made in the Slave Leia style woud be acceptible.

Accessories:

Headband: silver, with circular or swirled details as in the comics

Ear Rings: no ear rings (as in the comic) or trianglar irridescent/mother of pearl would be acceptible

Scarf: There is a single long rectangular scarf made of the same or similar material as the rest of the costume. It is attached to either black or silver tubular elastic at the upper arms and at each wrist with a sliver bracelet.

Anyone please feel free to comment and to help with wording. These are the basic concepts that I came up with in between work at the office. ;)

Your kidding right!?! :(

Nope, sorry. You'll also note the total lack of the Star Wars logo anywhere as a good hint that it's a fake. I copied the image of the back of the card from the auction and circled the "Cool Customs by Bob" part too.

jade.jpg

We need to get back to the standards discussion for this costume so that we can get it finished up and voted on by the detachment.

This is the standards format that we need to use:

Must Have:

(All components needed for said costume, no costume can be approved if one of these items is missing.)

Should Have:

(Not needed for legion approval but highly stressed upon to have anyway.)

May Have/Optional:

(Not needed or stressed upon but can really set a costume apart from the rest.)

AricaDress.jpg

arica3.jpg

Here is the draft that was presented earlier in this thread. Does anyone have any additions and/or suggestions? Would anyone like to start the process of putting it into the standards format?

Hair: I think that black and blonde to strawberry blonde should be the colors. Not red. Especially since Zahn has stated in person that her hair isn't red. It is strawberry blonde (that is his meaning of red-gold).

Black hair should be straight and around shoulder length. The strawberry-blonde is shoulder length or longer.

Bodysuit: Black fishnet bodysuit without sleeves. There may be a privacy lining under the black fishnet as long as the nude effect is preserved. The neckline of the bodysuit comes at least to the base of the neck and may extend slightly above the base of the neck. There should be a blue double hand-like applique with 5 "fingers" to each half. The applique should have the following details:

b. A circular topstitched detail containing 2 concentric "circles" and central line

Skirting: Same blue material as the "hands." It should consist of a front and a back drape that are open at the sides to the waist. The drapes should extend below the knees. The two drapes are connected to each other by a strip of the same blue material as the drapes no less than 3/4 of an inch wide.

Stockings: Black thigh-high stockings with or without feet. A thigh band with silver decorations as in the comic image/reference may be added.

Footwear: Officially no shoes as shown in the comic. However, due to convention ease sandals (such as seen in the Emperor's Hand version Arica) may be worn. Alternatively boots made in the Slave Leia style woud be acceptible.

Accessories:

Ear Rings: no ear rings (as in the comic) or trianglar irridescent/mother of pearl would be acceptible

Scarf: There is a single long rectangular scarf made of the same or similar material as the rest of the costume. It is attached to either black or silver tubular elastic at the upper arms and at each wrist with a sliver bracelet.

Guest Anonymous

Since this is really a fairly easy costume to make and since we already don't have all that many details to work from, I think that the majority of the costume details should be mandatory.

Anyone who has any comments or additions/changes please feel free to disagree. This is just a quick version in a few spare moments at work.

Must Have:

Hair: Black shoulder-length or Strawberry-blonde shoulder-length straight or waved hair.

Bodysuit: Black fishnet bodysuit without sleeves. Privacy lining is acceptible as long as the nude effect is preserved. The neckline of the bodysuit comes at least to the base of the neck.

There should be a blue double hand-like applique with 5 "fingers" to each half. The applique details:

Stockings: Black thigh-high stockings with or without feet.

Scarf: There is a single long rectangular scarf made of the same or similar material as the rest of the costume. It is attached to either black or silver tubular elastic at the upper arms and at each wrist with one or two sliver bracelet (s).

Should have:

If black wig: should have triangluar silver or mother of pearl dangling earrings

If strawberry blonde: no earrings and should have garter at top of stocking with "silver bullets"

May Have/Optional:

Footwear: Officially no shoes as shown in the comic. However, due to convention ease sandals (such as seen in the Emperor's Hand version Arica) may be worn. Alternatively boots made resembling the Slave Leia style woud be acceptible.

If black wig: should have triangluar silver or mother of pearl dangling earrings

Is there another image of the Decipher version of Arica?

I don't see earrings in this picture, and I need to see a reference for the earrings if they're going to be included in the standards.

normal_DecipherArica.jpg

Okay, I went through all of the discussion for this costume, studied the reference images, looked online for more references (but didn't find any), and then put this all together into something resembling our standard format. For now, I'm going to leave out the earrings until I see a visual reference for them.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments on this draft before it goes to the detachment for an approval poll?

Costume Standards for Arica's Blue Dress

AricaDress.jpg

normal_DecipherArica.jpg

An Arica Costume Must Have:

(These costume elements are required.)

Bodysuit:

* The sleeveless bodysuit must be made from black fishnet material.

* A privacy lining may be sewn under the fishnet as long as the nude effect is preserved.

* The neckline of the bodysuit should reach to the base of the neck.

* A blue fabric applique covers the chest.

* The applique should resemble two hands, with five "fingers" curving downward on each side.

* Two triangular designs are topstitched on the top edge of each "hand."

* The center of the applique is topstiched with two concentric circles and a vertical center line.

AppliqueDetail.jpg

Skirt:

* The skirt should be made of the same blue material as the applique "hands."

* The skirt should consist of a front and a back panel, and is open at the sides.

* The panels should extend below the knees.

* The front and back panels are connected to each other by a strip of the same blue material, which should be approximately 2 to 3 cm wide.

* Decorative strips of fabric similar to belt loops are spaced along the top of the skirt.

BeltLoops.jpg

Stockings:

* Black stockings should reach from the ankles to mid thigh.

Scarf:

* There is a single long rectangular scarf made of the same or similar material as the rest of the costume.

* A black or silver elastic band around each bicep holds the scarf against the upper arms.

* One or two narrow silver bracelets hold the scarf at each wrist.

normal_AricaScarf.jpg

Headband:

* A narrow silver headband circles the forehead.

* The headband may include an ornamental design at each temple.

AricaHeadband.jpg

Hair:

* The hair or wig may be black or strawberry blonde.

* If black, the hair should be approximately shoulder length and wavy.

* If strawberry blonde, the hair should reach to mid back and may be straight or wavy.

AricaHair.jpg

An Arica Costume Should Have:

(These costume elements are highly recommended, but are not required.)

Garters:

* A black garter band may be worn around the top of each stocking.

* Oval shaped designs made of a silver material are evenly spaced around the garter bands.

AricaGarter.jpg

An Arica Costume May Have:

(These costume elements are optional, but can really make a costume stand out!)

Footwear:

* Arica does not wear shoes while wearing this dress. When shoes are needed for the costumer's comfort and safety, sandals such as those seen with the Arica jumpsuit may be worn. Boots resembling the Slave Leia style would also be acceptible.

Okay, I posted the standards for Arica's dress in the Detachment Members forum and set up an approval poll. Members, please stop by and vote!

http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forum ... php?t=1024

If we find later that there is a reference for the earrings, we can add them in.