• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Nightsister Ventress from Texas

fuumantroop

Hey all! My wife is currently working on her first 501st costume, which also happens to be her first big project in sewing! We will have some pictures up after the weekend. And a friend is currently 3d printing saber hilts.

My wife is still trying to decide what fabric to use for the sash, and we are also having a heck of a time finding the "perfect boots" according to screen grabs from The Clone Wars.

Any and all help is much appreciated!

Ok! I am also working on her shin guards using sintra, and same with her bracer enclosures. Also considering making the flail at some point as well!

Our goal is to have the costume complete and approved before Comicpalooza(our Houston area Comic Convention) in May

I have a template for the shin armour if interested.

nsav_shin2.jpg

Funny you mention that. It is exactly what we used :) i already had it sized to my wife and have cut them out to use as a spray template :) thank you so much for that template btw!

As for my wifes main bodysuit, she is using a dark grey. She is trying to match what was on the show as closely as possible.

We are thinking of a red velvet or something for the sash. A trip to Jo Anns this weekend should be fruitful for us.

Here are what we are considering for the boots.

1.)0916E9E7-2429-406A-93F1-6C3A7D9AFD58.png

2.)672BC1F3-C57E-470D-808F-E366E99225FF.png

3.)2B432D8C-7937-4C3E-BC00-B1A3A766A33E.png

4.)2AF39B70-85AD-4DA3-9F95-89DD7AE5646A.jpe

All of them will need some sort of modification, but i think we are set with number 4. Thoughts?

Also, here is the color we are trying to match.

88B1A602-3187-4805-97FE-2337622A9F6D.jpg

And here is my wifes mock up(still needs multiple adjustments).

11F5D1C6-E678-4246-8BCD-3F3EB31D16C1.jpg

And i am making her a duct tape mannequin to help her finalize her costume

CDDD6567-EC83-4379-BF80-725C41FEF5C3.jpg

And the cut out shinguard templates :)

5B5FE85A-BBE3-42BF-9ADB-11EB4F9BA3A3.jpg

Here are what we are considering for the boots.

1.)

2.)672BC1F3-C57E-470D-808F-E366E99225FF.png

3.)

4.)2AF39B70-85AD-4DA3-9F95-89DD7AE5646A.jpe

I really like the 1st image above (the second in your post) for the fact that they appear fairly smooth all over the boot with a straight cut top, and already have the black sole, though the sole does look a bit chunky in the arch area compared to the reference image. The second image (4th in your post) are also very nice and will offer a similar smoothness with appropriate chunkiness of the arch area of the sole. They will require removal of the straps, but that seems like minimal work, as well as maybe straightening the upper edge of the boot so it cuts directly across instead of curving to a rounded peak.

I am not very versed in fabrics, but the "feel" from the reference comes off as either a heavy knit yet soft jersey in a deep red similar to this https://www.fabric.com/buy/0347280/stretch-jersey-ity-knit-red. There is definitely a slight stretchy drape with a structural heft to it, if that makes any sense with a softness and eggshell finish that cotton jersey would give to match the rest of the outfit.

That makes perfect sense! Unfortunately after looking back at the links, the only boot available in my wifes size is this first picture you posted here in yor response(thank you for that btw!).

The CRL just states that the boots need to have a black, moderate heel, and also no straps or laces. These particular boots seem a little bit high, but i think we can definitely shorten them.

It is available as a nice vector file, not just the pixel image, I'm glad what I made worked well.  

On the boots the best match would be horizontal on the top rather than slanted. 

Oh cool! Thanks again!

Now...we went to Jo Anns yesterday to look at fabric for the sash. Here is what we found

00F19D47-6CDF-4BB0-B500-FCDEFD8FD017.jpg

B664A9B4-5564-46F3-998F-120B7E129FA0.jpg

9DE5E144-F743-4926-84C7-C551D2AED3CE.jpg

7EA7D415-6124-497C-9769-BAD7BB53BEFD.jpg

Or this...this is the one my wife thought would work best. She even grabbed the same fabric she boght for her main body of the costume and was trying to visualize the look

0E3DF938-8E4E-4A5A-9F3F-837A19A9F2F4.jpg

242CA22E-ED5A-450A-B5BE-05EC2E426CB0.jpg

Thoughts?

The sash itself is a fairly rich red, and it appears to have weathering or texturing that causes the mottled pattern. The Glitterbug Crushed Panne seems to create two different effects depending on the light, one being a very reflective surface, and one being more subdued, which actually matches the effect that the reference image shows pretty damn closely with the darker mottled areas. My only concern with this is that it is in the "really shiny" phase more, but maybe dirtying it up a bit will lessen that?

Without seeing the fabric hanging loose (which is always nice when you are trying to match drape and movement), The colors of both the first options seem to fall short of the vibrancy and richness of the red necessary, though the second one, just off glance, seems to have a good matching drape effect. the color of the crushed panne with the fluidity of the biking red jet set. You don't want to start too dark with the fabric, but rather chose a richer red (like the reds seen in the background of the first two, but in matching knit style) and then distressing and weathering them to get the darker mottled contrast will get you a closer resemblance. 

That was my concern on the glitterbug fabric..i noticed the shine as well....it does have a nice draping effect as well...but i think you are right with the other fabrics...perhaps finding a deeper red dye and using that on a lighter shade will darken it slightly..i think red gauze would most likely be perfect for it to appear weathered...but not sure...i don't have much experience weathering fabric itswlf...any tips on doing so are greatly appreciated

Yes, it is a deep red and not smooth. Crushed velvet isn't a good match and the others look to be too smooth. 

It should have ridges in it, black and red. 
asajjCWstill.jpg

I believe what we found at JoAnns for Brita's was called a crepe or Taffeta (sorry it has been a while), 
AsajjNightsisterBrita2.jpg

It laid and matched well. 

Man that fabric is no where to be found...we will have to go back and look around some more. My wife was thinking of using the glitterbug fabric as seen in the last 2 pictures, and using a synthetic dye to darken it and try to eliminate the sheen.

I'll keep an eye out too. I really don't think crushed velvet is the right look though maybe something else could be distressed and have some dark streaks added to look ok. 

I'll let you know if we see anything. 

If it were me making that red sash bit, I would try my luck with dyeing a cotton gauze red. It crinkles nicely, and will take dye well since it's 100% cotton.

http://www.joann.com/sew-classic-specialty-cotton-solid-gauze-many-colors/xprd810632.html#start=5

Looking at the taffeta example shown earlier, I kind of get a Borderlands cell shading vibe. If you wanted to have that effect, you could create it yourself the way Borderlands costumers do. Basically they just shade in the natural wrinkles of the fabric in black gradients with fabric paint to give it more of a 3D drawn effect. When done well, it looks really, really cool!

15315af3846f3af5afda9d80b21d4afc.jpg

I think the cotton gauze would work pretty nicely actually, thanks! Will also have to research the shading you are talking about as well! We still have not had time to head back to JoAnns to look more, there is also another fabric store nearby we have to take a look at.

But...my wifes boots came in all the way from the UK! Only took 4 days!

13AC63FB-D594-4C06-94CB-843E1CA3A36A.jpg

Now...yes i do know they are thigh highs, we will be shortening them to become knee high boots and have them sit below her knee. The tops are made out of "faux suede" so we will either try to trim them down ourselves, or take them into a local shoe maker to do it. I have already asked 2 of our GML's and I got the green light on them prior to ordering them. What do yall think?

• Like 1

They look great! That suede is also perfect for the mottled effect. If you don't have a heavy duty sewing machine, I would probably take them to a tailoring shop as the multiple layers will kill any normal sewing machine.

That was my thinking. We have a Pfaff(i think thats how its spelled) that was given to us and barely used, and she mainly uses her Brother Project Runway machine.

The material is fairly thin, and stretchy. I think handsewing is definitely an option for these as well...going to have her try them on again and see if maybe we can even fold them inside to shorten them, just to see how it looks at least.