• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Nightsister Ventress from Texas

fuumantroop

Just depends, mine is taffeta and is fine. Very low specularity, no shine. Have a look (get a sample if need be) and make an evaluation.

NightsisterBrita3View.jpg

Edited by ladyb
  • Like 1

I would probably try to go with non-taffeta if you can find something similar. Taffeta usually has a sheen to it that I don't think you want for this costume.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That was our concern. The taffeta we have found locally has that sheen to it. I am not saying all taffeta is like that, just what happens to be in store down here. We are also hesitant to order fabric online because we would much rather be able to look at it physically before committing to a purchase.

• Like 1

LadyB, your sash looks fantastic, just have had a hard time sourcing that material. Where did you get your arm bracer buckles, btw? I was considering making them out of sintra, but would much rather have real metal enclosures as it appears you have.

Michael (IonicDesign) got them at a Thrift Shop, either from a belt or purse. I would definitely try that as it may time a little time but metal rectangles like she has can often be found. We may have some spares, I'd have to check. 

That was our concern. The taffeta we have found locally has that sheen to it. I am not saying all taffeta is like that, just what happens to be in store down here. We are also hesitant to order fabric online because we would much rather be able to look at it physically before committing to a purchase.

I know some fabric sites have the option of ordering a swatch of the fabric. You'll get a good idea of what the fabric is like without committing to a yard. Mood Fabrics is a site I use often with a LARGE selection of fabrics, and a swatch option.

Thrift shopping is also a great idea if you're on a budget and know where to look! Sometimes you manage to find some real gems that way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quick update. After getting my wifes duct tape mannequin done, she was able to form fit her main body.

23F67969-6DD9-4A3D-ABB7-146301DB44CF.jpg

In the picture, she rolled the boots down to size as a mock up on when we take them down.

Also, update from my friend who was 3d printing her saber hilts...and they are ready for pick up! I plan on installing electronics and blades in them as well. Never done that before!

7711F5E5-E39F-4B59-8A81-673901B1A75F.jpg

• Like 1

Alternate suggestion: I used this neoprene for a commission recently. It's light, thin, and stretches a decent amount. It got to me really fast too! Only thing I would suggest doing is soak it in water first before using it. The coloring bled and got all over my hands and my machine lol. But otherwise I really liked it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182154748299?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies! That material definitely looks perfect! Thanks for that!

The second picture did not give me a thickness, although it seems very close to the fabric in the link you provided

• Like 1

So we are thinking of using a black jersey knit for the mask/neck seal. Thinking lycra might be too reflective for it.

Also, i assembled the main portions of one of the 3d printed hilts, and as cool as they are(and awesome when we can superimpose blades on them), they are just too small to install any type of electronics into it. So on to plan B.

Plan B is to custom build sabers according to the circular sabers shown in the CRL. I am using PVC electrical conduit that comes bent from the store, and some pvc couplers as well. It is a pretty easy hilt to manufactur, and they will provide ample room to install a soundboard, high powered led, and batteries, alonrg with housing a blade.I got most of the components from The Custom Saber Shop, and the polycarbonate tubing from Amazon(ordered 6' of 1" OD, 7/8" ID, and 1/16" wall thickness for $21). This will allow me to cut the tubing in half for both sabers being 36" each(i may end up cutting it down to 32" but we will see). I am also gutting a hasbro blade builders saber to use the speaker and soundboard(with plans on upgrading later). Luckily, they are on clearance at walmart for $10 each :) .

Here is the partially assembled 3d printed hilt.

34F53DDC-3559-40F9-9EA9-B53A2C82C865.jpg

The CRL photo for reference

ABC340B7-A51C-4CB1-9DFC-7AADAA82EC29.png

My findings at Home Depot compared to the 3d hilt.

6E59683C-7D47-47AB-A830-65CE00243D77.jpg

And where i am at now. I still need to add another section of pvc, and then another trimmed down coupler.

A5933905-BC7E-496A-932A-909270FB3DCB.jpg

Also, for the vambrace straps, i did find this online, and was hoping to get everyones thoughts on them. If they wouldn't work, i will manufacture some out of sintra for now, and continue searching for metal buckles.

3815B576-54D1-4153-B24F-17760431E0BD.png

Keep in mind the tube sabers that had been on the standard are an approximation and should not be used as primary reference. Either way, because of some local laws it is an optional accessory. So the 3d printed ones would be fine, lights and blade or no. Be aware the blade may cause it to split along the layers if it does have one. 

Also, for the vambrace straps, i did find this online, and was hoping to get everyones thoughts on them. If they wouldn't work, i will manufacture some out of sintra for now, and continue searching for metal buckles.
3815B576-54D1-4153-B24F-17760431E0BD.png

I would say no. The ones on this costume have a smaller inside and are shaped differently.
54f34fb6ab067d100f5d095cc1e0bc86.jpg
I have been watching and will share if I can find something that would be a decent match. 

• Like 1

Oh no i won't be using the 3d printed hilts for her actual sabers. That is what the pvc hilt next to it is for. I should be done assembling the main body of the hilt tonight or tomorrow. And the electronics should be here soon.

And that was my thinking for the bracers. Been searching everywhere locally and found some close at tandy leather, but not close enough :/

Thanks for keeping an eye out for us!

CRL reference saber progress!

1CD5DE99-FA42-4146-AC3A-A17C76406AC5.jpg

6A65436C-AAB9-429D-902A-BCDBD87959B4.jpg

565BF3C5-4F16-49CD-9359-C1B7B4E76F06.jpg

Still need to manufacture some sort of speaker cover, and will probably be relocating the swing sensor, but will likely wait until the blade material arrives. I will be uploading the video for this later on as well.

• Like 1

Okay. So neck seal. I am thinking the best way to tackle it would be to make the mask and the neck seal separate. We have been trying to make it to where the face mask and neck seal were one piece, but getting the neck to conform without bunching up has been a nightmare.

Yes, for best fit I would make the neck corset / armour separate from the mask and hood. Then you can also alter how much is worn as she sometimes didn't have the hood and mask and sometimes hood without the mask. 

Okay great! Think my wife has a template ready. Most likely will do a velcro enclosure to have the neck fit nicely. And also so her hair does not get stuck in a zipper!