• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Mara Jade Arica (Blue)

flutefreak05

I'd go read in the Mara Jade section of the forum and see what others have posted. The Arica COstume Stardards Blue Dress post in particular has lots of information. I always try to source everything I need first, and then tackle the hardest thing first.

Edited by eliste

I'd go read in the Mara Jade section of the forum and see what others have posted. The Arica COstume Stardards Blue Dress post in particular has lots of information. I always try to source everything I need first, and then tackle the hardest thing first.

I have been looking around in there. I made one last year but scraped it because of the skirt. That's the part that I am having the most difficulty with. 

I have been looking around in there. I made one last year but scraped it because of the skirt. That's the part that I am having the most difficulty with.

Hmm, I'm not sure I've ever seen enough genuine images of it to really be of help, but if you have references, I'd be happy to take a look. I kinda wonder if it should be more like undies with a loincloth on top, but really not sure from my brief google search.

What about the skirt was frustrating for you? If it was the way it was sewn down, you could try approaching it like you would a Sailor Scout uniform, just without the hip rolls. The skirts attached to the leotards are mostly a satin like most use for the Arica skirt.

http://sparklepipsi.deviantart.com/art/Sailor-Fuku-Cosplay-Tutorial-331557052

Now the skirt in the standards looks like it was gathered at the hem, but there are a couple I've seen with a quick google search that were actually smooth at the hem instead. I always look at others versions of the costume I'm making when planning how I make my version, so maybe that will help too?

What about the skirt was frustrating for you? If it was the way it was sewn down, you could try approaching it like you would a Sailor Scout uniform, just without the hip rolls. The skirts attached to the leotards are mostly a satin like most use for the Arica skirt.

http://sparklepipsi.deviantart.com/art/Sailor-Fuku-Cosplay-Tutorial-331557052

Now the skirt in the standards looks like it was gathered at the hem, but there are a couple I've seen with a quick google search that were actually smooth at the hem instead. I always look at others versions of the costume I'm making when planning how I make my version, so maybe that will help too?

Trying to create a pattern the looked "right: for the skirt, The first one I created didn't look right; I tried to make my own based on reference photos. I've been looking at several photos of the costume and photos of how people have made it. 

Aaaaah I see, creating patterns yourself is always frustrating! You could try picking up a pattern for a long maxi skirt and cutting the sides out of it? Get some muslin and make a mockup of it first. That way you can experiment with it until it looks and fits right and use that as your pattern when you've got it right