• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Latex allergy question

yekamarie

Hi everyone! I've been scouring the posted topics for information, and you have all provided tons! Thank you!

I am going to start a concept Ventress build that I hope to have done for Celebration. My problem is - I have a latex allergy, and sensitivities to certain adhesives. I mean, if I use the wrong type of bandage, it will leave me with an itchy, red mark for a week. So obviously, this translates into me having certain concerns for a bald cap.

Clearly, a plastic cap would be the best option, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding information on the adhesives and blending products that can be used for someone with a latex/adhesive sensitivity. Liquid latex seems to be one of the most commonly used blending agents, and that just isn't going to work for me. 

My backup plan is to make a cloak and put combs into the hood so that it doesn't fall and expose my hair.

Is there anyone else here that has a latex issue, and how have you gotten around it? 

Which version of Asajj Ventress are you wanting to make?

I have the same issue with Latex, it is no fun at all. I'm not sure what to recommend for adhesives and whatnot. My wife chooses to donate her hair and shave these days for Asajj. She didn't react so I wore nitrile grove when helping.

I'm not familiar with plastic bald caps but be sure the fit is smooth and the surface looks like skin instead of plastic. There may be some silicone ones that work well, if that doesn't bother you.

The concept version is a fav. and on the other comment, if totally hidden and the hood is secure that is probably fine for less formal events. 

For clarity sake, this is the Mrs. and she is shaved bald here:

450px-Concept_Ventress_tattoos.jpg

Liquid latex was recommended to me for making wrinkles for Dooku, but alas I'd look more like the end of ROTS Anakin if we did that. 

Does silicone bother you? I think you cna get caps made out of that. With some careful airbrushing you can layer some colours to give it a skin-like feel.

Silicone sounds good.

Shaving is totally up to you, not required by any means. Brita used a cap for her first several troops, before going that route after having the cap and stuff fail to attach on a humid day before a big Relay for Life event. She handed me the clippers and said do it, we need to go. I handed them back, told her I loved her and would support whatever she wanted to do, but I wasn't cutting off her her. She gave herself an anti-Mohawk and said hurry we'll be late.  

Her build thread is here: http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forums/index.php?/topic/210-help-on-new-ventress/page-1

Good evening,

You may wish to try Pros-aide. It is a medical grade adhesive.

Water

Acrylic emulsion Non-hazardous

Glycerol

Guar gum

Sorbitol

Benzyl alcohol

I swear by it.

Be well

• Like 1

I have a bad latex allergy as well. I use silicone prosthetics, which do cost more than latex, but tend to be a lot more durable and last longer. You can also use plastic bald caps, or a product called Watermelon. I also use Pros-aide as the adhesive, then Pros-aide Creme as the blender for the edges. Pros-aide Creme is a thick version of Pros-aide specially designed to blend edges. They can both be removed with a standard adhesive remover, I personally use Ben-Nye Bond Off or Telesis Super Solv Gel to remove my prosthetics. The Super Solv gel is nice since it doesn't run, so you don't have to worry about it dripping down your face, and potentially into your eyes. The bonus to using a prosthetics glue to blend the edges is that the remover will take it off, so the edge line never gets thicker with built up product. Often people will blend a latex prosthetic with liquid latex, which works well for a few wears, but then the edge becomes too thick to blend properly, as you can't remove the added latex. So they have to trim back the edge and re-feather it for future wear. Not a major problem at all, just one of those extra steps you can avoid when you use something like Pros-aide Creme to blend edges. 

Some links to the products I use:
Plastic Bald Cap: https://donshobbyshop.ca/catalog/kryolan-glatzen-bald-cap
Watermelon (Scroll to the very bottom for the bald cap): http://www.michaeldavy.com/products/watermelon_products.htm

Pros-aide: http://www.pros-aide.com/

Ben-Nye Bond-off: https://donshobbyshop.ca/catalog/bond-remover
Telesis Super Solv Gel: https://donshobbyshop.ca/catalog/telesis-super-solv-gel

Hope that helps! 

• Like 1

Thanks for the link for the Super Solv gel. I love Super Solv, but it was always messy (even after putting it in a spray bottle that does a mist rather than a stream). Gonna have to grab a bottle and try it out next time I wear the Odin.

Supe solv is the best thing ever.

Prosaide is what I use to do fx make up all the time. It sticks like super glue with out killing your skin. I had a reaction to liquid latex with I did a head cast but I can wear foam latex no problem.

Theres another glue that's super strong called Telesis. I use it on my chin in my Clown. Only way it doesn't peal off after time.

Only thing about silicone is when you take it off you need to let it dry completely (sweat) before you do anything with it. Im not sure about how many times you can reuse it, but I know people use silicon masks with no glue and they reuse over and over.

Telesis is the company that makes several products, including Super solv. Their adhesive is called Beta Bond. It works great...just don't order it during any months the shipment would have to pass through a cold region. Most places that sell it have a warning about this, but some do not. If it gets too cold, the entire bottle will turn into a solid, rubbery foam and become unusable. Found this out from a freak cold snap a few years ago and mine traveled through some sub-freezing weather on the way to me  :(