• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

TK7639 Sith Acolyte Build Thread (Mynocks Den Kit)

TK7639

Found a darker red, however not that I'm trying to be a perfectionist but it might be a little too dark.  Going to go out today and hunt for another option but if I can't find anything else I will probably run with it.  The CRL states 2 dark red stripes.  The picture on the CRL however is a little misleading as the color is a bright red.  Not a big fan of that look.  We'll see what I can find.  Here's the comparison pictures I have.

This picture was lost due to the whole Photobucket issue.  May it rest in cyberspace.

Edited by TK7639

Well those look better that the other color.  You said pink, but to my eyes or my monitor settings it looked more orange to me.

These red samples look closer to the desired color hue.

Alrighty, color comparison time.  A few different products below.

beaW3U9.jpg

So I've decided to utilize the far right color as it seems to have matched pretty good.  The middle one looks close too however even overnight it still isn't dry so that's not a good thing.  Hopefully there will be some painting tonight.

Edited by TK7639

So, I measured off the pattern for the stripes.  Went with 3 inches for the big stripe and the required 2 inch gap.  I was going to make the small stripe 1/2 inch however it looked a little small so I widened it to a full inch.  After staring at some pictures I'm glad I went bigger than the half inch.  I think it'll look better.

uMpBRiU.jpg

Here's the paint I decided on.  Found it at Micheals.  FInally.  It's the one on the far right.  The leather Studio one.

beaW3U9.jpg

Edmonton Nut and Bolt had some longer hex nuts that I needed to attach the ab to the Chest armor.

x3D7YA0.jpg

And there it's connected.

This picture was lost due to the Photobucket issue.  We will remember you.

Now I'm working on the belt and strapping system for the chest rig to hold everything in place. 

Edited by TK7639

Although it looks like a mess of straps I can assure you it works and holds everything on comfortably. 

jROngbh.jpg

The cloak is drying, this fabric paint takes forever to dry.  The container says 24 hours but it's taking a bit longer.  I still have touch-ups to do but it's coming along.  It also still has to be hemmed for length which will be done when everything goes on for the test fit in a couple of days once I'm sure the sleeves are dry.

JEAv2sp.jpg

And the mask, E6000'd the lawn mower bag pieces supplied by the Mynock.  Should also mention that it came with the magnets installed.  Just have to add some foam pieces which the Mynock sent along as well.  I have a healthy supply of foam around as well though in case I need more.  If I utilize my old mask I had it set up to be able to wear my glasses behind it.  With the new mask and the backplate that's pretty much a negative on wearing glasses.  I can still see well enough to function (not walking into people) so we'll see how that goes.  I've been lucky as my glasses fit in my Stormtrooper and Bounty Hunter helmets. 

lGvrl1K.jpg

Last little bit is to get the Wife to sew some velcro on the undershirt that the elbow armor will adhere too. 

Getting close to the finish line.

Edited by TK7639

My better half was sewing this afternoon so I have my undershirt waiting for its turn to go under the needle.

lC0pRAX.jpg

Red sleeves have been touched up in the areas required.

HuXkbNM.jpg

Now the hard part, waiting for the sleeves to dry...again.  Then it'll be time for the initial test fit of all components. 

Edited by TK7639

First initial test fit went not too bad.  The things that need to be altered so far:

-Neck Seal, need to get an enclosure for the back as I forgot to get one but figured to go ahead with the test fit anyways Yes I know we can see my neck.  Once I close the back and possibly add a balaclava that will be negated.

-Sleeves, in the picture the left sleeve is higher than the right, probably just bunched up somewhere because in the first fitting everything was fine

-Cod Plate, I'm probably going to drop it about an inch more so it comes down closer to the groin area.  Probably can't see it in the pictures but lets just say it was a little too high and I felt a little exposed.

-Color, haven't decided if I'll dull the color or not.  That will be the last step if decided.  It'll be done with a light black washing if I go ahead with it just to darken it a little. 

-Length of robe - That'll be fixed by my Wife who already has it pinned up to hem.

Unfortunately this picture was lost as well during the Photobucket issue.  Instead, here's a picture of my two kids messing around when they were younger.

NYk30Ig.jpg

Couldn't resist a shot with the lightsaber.  Damn neck seal, this picture would have been awesome if it hadn't been sticking out like that.

6ZY8SX8.jpg

Some adjustments to be made but so far still on track.

Edited by TK7639

On 3/7/2017 at 6:57 PM, TK7639 said:

So, I've fixed all the photo links that were messed up during the Photobucket issue.  Only had a few pictures that I didn't manage to copy before I deleted my account.

I've been absent lately due to my job and will continue to be occupied for the next couple of months.  I was home just this past Halloween and the plan was to wear the Acolyte trick or treating with the kids however Mother Nature had other ideas with rain and snow.  I didn't want to have it's inaugural event being outside in a rain / snow storm.  I opted to wear the Mandalorian instead as it's been through hell and back and is "Battle Tested." 

IzfDTXD.jpg

So all I had done was another test fitting which made me realize I needed to redo my shoulders.  Going to be using straps instead of velcro as it's more secure and the resin shoulders have a little weight to them.  

HpNoA2Y.jpg

I did manage to fix my cod issue of it being too high, and closed in the neck seal so as to stop showing skin.  Once I'm back in the new year I will be going through the process of approval through my local garrison. 

Just a quick update, in the process of taking the submission pics I realized the cloak I had made has a visible seam up the back of the hood.  You can't see it form the front or in the submission photos from the back because of the dark fabric but it's there.  So currently I am at a standstill until the Wife and I can remove the current hood and come up with a replacement.  Hopefully we can get it done within the next little while.

Edited by TK7639

Just remember, it's not a race! lol

I am one to talk though, as I have powered through every costume I have made in about 3-4 months each.

I would rather it take longer, look right, and get approved the 1st time its submitted.

It is looking like you have it under control, just hang in there, looks like you are almost at the finish line!

On 3/30/2017 at 1:26 PM, TK7639 said:

If I utilize my old mask I had it set up to be able to wear my glasses behind it.  With the new mask and the backplate that's pretty much a negative on wearing glasses.  I can still see well enough to function (not walking into people) so we'll see how that goes.  I've been lucky as my glasses fit in my Stormtrooper and Bounty Hunter helmets. 

I know this is a bit old reply, but I also wear glasses and am in Canada. My wife found a shop online that makes sports/basketball glasses and they have been fantastic! There are places online that make them at very affordable prices, even with CAD conversion and shipping.

Because they are wrap-around, they are very low profile and fit nicely in tighter spaces. I use them comfortable inside my Royal Guard helmet, and my soon-to-be-approved Vader helmet. I will also be using them underneath my Nihilus mask. Just a thought, there are some places that sell them for very affordable prices.

The other nice perk with them is they rest against the face just above the eyebrows which is very nice at keeping sweat from running down into your eyes.

As of a few weeks ago I was approved.  Just forgot to post here as well.  It definitely was fun, now to make it more comfy.  I've already started to alter the shins so that the straps are just for show and they hold together via magnets. 

I dunno why I just stumbled across this, it's interesting to see the changes in not just the materials but the overall sculpt that Mynock's Den have done in the course of 2 years. I didn't even know there was a fiberglass variant until the summer time when I had started messing around with my ABS kit. A guy on a facebook page was bugging me to help him out but never heard from him again after I told him I'd do what I can, being more able to work with a resin kit than an ABS. But I guess they're pretty similar.

Anyways, congrats on finishing the kit and having it for well over a year and a half now!