• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

TK7639 Sith Acolyte Build Thread (Mynocks Den Kit)

TK7639

Figured I would actually document a build thread for once.  My first build was a ANH Stormtrooper (Up to Expert Infantry Standards) followed by a custom Bounty Hunter which was approved a few months ago.

I've always wanted to do a Sith Acolyte though, ever since seeing the trailers for The Old Republic.  I kept in contact with Taras from the Mynocks Den throughout his Acolyte build and finally I received the kit from him a few days ago.

I've already heated up the thighs and shins so that the seams line up, which Taras explained was going to be the case.  Not going to post photos of that, was just me and my heat gun.  Resin sure needs more heat than ABS plastic and Sintra to form.

Also been cleaning up the pieces from some leftover residue.  I've been pretty careful but if there is an "oopsie"  well I'll chalk that up to battle damage.

Here's the armor after the unboxing.

OVKnoBh.jpg

RQPuSpD.jpg

Working with resin from my Mando helmet and having the residue flying everywhere again didn't really appeal to me so I used the box the armor came in and constructed a "containment" box to try to keep the work room a little cleaner this time.

Doesn't look pretty but it does the job.

SX1rJ76.jpg

sBYxhrL.jpg

So now the upper Gauntlets have been cleaned up and sanded, still need to polish with Steel Wool, Won't do that until the lower Gauntlets have been finished and sized properly.  I left more of the bottom ridge on that is needed until I size the Upper to the Lower Gauntlets.

I tend to jump around in my builds.  I don't like to focus on just one piece for too long.  Keeps things fresh if I do some here and there so don't be surprised if I'm all over the place.  I'm taking my time with this one as I want it to look good.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by TK7639
Stupid Photoshop.

Next progress.

I was warned by Taras that the armor pieces wouldn't line up perfectly, which is understandable.  Even with my Stormtrooper a heat gun was required to make everything look decent.  So, using that same before mentioned heat gun I shaped all the armor pieces for the legs as well as the gauntlets. Below is one of the shins that was almost done, just needed to get it a little more over.

MHT4euq.jpg

Finally got it to where it was acceptable.  I do see now that the back of the shin slipped down a little.  I will assure you that the top is flush with the seam.

etgqjLN.jpg

Then utilizing the awesome containment box I drilled out the cuts in the shin armor for the straps to go through.

Wt2PIlp.jpg

Got it pretty close with the dremel

4rDWKAk.jpg

I still had this sweet needle file set from when I built the Stormtrooper.  It was a necessity for doing the Teeth on the helmet.  It worked pretty good to clean up the cuts on the armor as well. 

BxKVlgS.jpg

Now the shins are drying after a quick wash.

27R7tg7.jpg

Probably going to glue the thighs together in the next few days, as well as work out how to secure the shins so there won't be any slippage while moving around.  Also the Wife found me the paint at Canadian Tire this morning.  Things are progressing, albeit slowly.

Edited by TK7639

Ended up doing some more work while the kids watched some tv.  I started by gluing 2 strips on the inside of both thighs to connect them.  I'll be using Taras' method of adding loop velcro overtop of the strips to add more security to the thighs.  I'll have a better picture later but here is where the thigh is sitting.  I used E6000, the most common method over on the First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment to build a Stormtrooper.  Figured I would use it on the Acolyte as well.  I don't mind the 12 hour waiting time for it to dry as it's pretty solid once done.  Also am using rare earth magnets to hold everything in place until it dries.

yBlH7VQ.jpg

Also drilled out the holes on the chest to use hex bolts to connect to the strapping system and the rubber Ab piece.

Cvsj9Mt.jpg

And on the other side of the shop the gauntlets have been glued together with E6000 as well.  Next for them will be to add some foam on the inside as I have skinny forearms and also paint the inside black.  Probably should have painted it before I glued them together but it's not like it'll be too difficult to paint the inside later.

lj4PM5B.jpg

That's it for now.  Hopefully will get more done this weekend.

Edited by TK7639

Finally found a pair of boots that I liked.  Figured I would try Walmart as well and I found a pair of shoes for $35 that I think will work just nicely.  Trimmed the boot plates to line up and just have to paint and secure them now.  Painting will happen all at once.  I usually take everything to work and do it over my lunch break.  In the background you can see better how the thighs are initially connected.  Like I mentioned before I still plan on covering that with loop velcro and then painting the inside.  The straps aren't elastic, they are  military grade strapping that is rather stiff.  Nothings moving there.  I may still add some sintra to further secure things along the seams.  I have some extra 3mm laying around.

N1X0cFu.jpg

Next up I took the hand plates and conjured up a template that'll be used for the claws.  Initially I'm going to use 3mm SIntra to make these and see how they turn out.  Seeing this picture now I think I'll have to clean up the hand plate a little more.  There looks to be some more residue in the back half of the plate.

POTc8p0.jpg

And finally tonight I've E6000'd the rockets to the gauntlets which will be held in place with yet more rare earth magnets.  I've looked at the Mynocks "wiring" using actual wires and then switching to foam.  Right now I'm undecided about which method I'll use.  I'm kinda leaning towards the actual wires which I played with when I built my Mandalorian. It could also be due to the fact that I royally screwed the first attempt at the foam method.  Either way it'll get done.

2tGqXqv.jpg

That's all for today.  Tomorrows plan is to hit a hardware store and find something to secure the shins from slipping.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by TK7639

So, I found these bracers at Rona that I'm pretty sure will work to ensure the shins don't slip down. First I glued the unaltered ones to the back of the shins as seen below

sZb4MY9.jpg

Made a cradle out of the "receiving" end

ao6FFVO.jpg

By tomorrow I'll be able to tell for sure if it's going to work after everything dries.  The nice thing about E6000 is that it'll hold but can also be removed.  If these do work out well I'll probably secure them in place with something stronger.  The strapping that is seen on the outside of the shins will be functional either being held together by velcro or another means.  That will be figured out later on.

Then I looked at the Gauntlets again, after deciding to go with the wires instead of the foam I measured the amount of wire required that was cut from an old alarm clock that no longer functioned and using some heat shrink tubing made it look cleaner.

psv18RX.jpg

Nothing is secured yet as I obviously still have to paint.  I made sure that the lettering on the tubing was facing down so as to stay "in universe."

I had cut claws out of 3mm Sintra but they don't have much give to them and I don't want to harm anyone that may run into them so I'm currently looking for an alternate material.  I'm not sold of the foam Idea.  The Mynock used .04 ABS plastic first that had some give to it.  I may be near a hobby shop tomorrow so I'll wander the aisles a little bit and see if I can find something appropriate.

That's it for now.

Edited by TK7639

So, it looks like the mechanism I decided to try will work to hold the shin up.  Seems to fit into itself quite well.  This will stop the shin from sliding down.  Using regular elastic that should hold the front and back pieces together everything should hold together pretty well.

Here is the first test fit of the shin.  I simply ran the elastic through and tied it on the side.  Walked around the house for a few minutes and everything held together very well.  Stairs weren't an issue either.

9J9akig.jpg

Now it's on to doing some work on the chest, ab and belt area.  As well as the boot armor, and claws which are now almost done.  More pictures to follow. 

Edited by TK7639

The claws were cut from thinner ABS plastic scraps that were trimmed off a Garrison Members TK that she was trimming.  After getting the shape I was looking for and more trimming before i glued them in I realized just as the Mynock did that even thin ABS could still do some damage.  After the glue dries I plan on trimming the top off and attaching some foam I currently have.  Also trimmed the knuckle armor a few days ago.

ttMChjE.jpg

Here they sit drying.

Nd6fDcG.jpg

And like I mentioned here is the plan to make the claws a little safer.

fqPaAKv.jpg

More to follow.

Edited by TK7639

Been busy at work and haven't had a whole lot of time to work on the armor but I have gotten some things done, or so I thought.  Anyways here's what happened.

I did a primer coat on the armor at work.  A nice dark steel color.  I had decided a while back that I was going to paint the entire armor.  This wasn't the screw up yet.  That's to come later.

PmsFZB4.jpg

Then I hit it with the Magnetic Gray paint, which wasn't too bad.  I should have stopped here but didn't.

qIrgzvk.jpg

I had it in my mind that I wanted my Acolyte to be darker so I went a step further and hit it with the Graphite Mica.  Which was a mistake.  It was way too dark.

cLTl3Iw.jpg

So just today I went at the armor with Silver Leaf Rub n Buff which brought it back to the silver look as seen below.

rUyj5OA.jpg

rGYvEYX.jpg

This brings it back into alignment with the actual color of the character in the Hope and Deceived trailers.  Anyways, now I'm out of Rub n Buff so while I source a supply I will probably start working on the gloves later tonight.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by TK7639
  • Like 1

Little more work done.

Gluing the strapping system for the finger armor, thumb armor and hand plates.  I used E6000 and elastic on my Stormtrooper hand plates years ago and it still hasn't let go so I decided to do the same method for the Acolyte.  The elastic is intentionally left long so as to measure before the final cut and gluing which will happen tomorrow after the E6000 dries overnight.

Yes those are staples.  I tend to use what I have for assembly.

U3uDzuS.jpg

After the handplates are all done and the elastic is all glued in I'll either add some felt to underneath the handplate or some thin foam just for comfort, 

rDSLORZ.jpg

Edited by TK7639

Both hand armor is complete.  Will probably replace the ABS claws with foam in the future but not right now.  I thought about making the armor all smooth and pretty looking but then decided to leave the surface a little grainy so as to make it appear that I had been in a few skirmishes.  In my mind it just looks more authentic.

CdoC6LL.jpg

The rest will probably have to wait for the weekend to get worked on and I'm awaiting a shipment of Rub n Buff for for a few more pieces to be completed.  I have the robe already sewn, it just needs to be hemmed for the proper length of the arms and then add the red stripes which I will try the paint method first and if that fails will fall back on the sewing on method.

More to follow in a few days.

Edited by TK7639
  • Like 1

Shins are pretty much complete.  I will be adding some weathering to everything later after the assembly is completed.  For now I simply tied the elastic on the inside until I decide everything is good to go.  And yes, the shoes are still the darker color.  Waiting on my shipment of Rub n Buff to arrive.

aZbrh9I.jpg

lD7vrF6.jpg

0v0R0aV.jpg

Also glued the wires into place with E6000.  Soon will add the padding for the gauntlets which will make them more comfy as well as keep them in place.

Xa2EGjr.jpg

Here the completed shins and gloves will wait for other completed pieces to join them.

JxMQ8Ob.jpg

Thanks for looking, more to follow.

Edited by TK7639

This evening I glued in the straps on the thigh armor that will be strapped to the belt to hold them in place.  There are straps on the front and back of the thigh because unlike my Stormtrooper thighs these have a little bit of weight to them. 

YBvhKJ6.jpg

Also went ahead and adhered some velcro to the shoes using some industrial velcro and a little bit of E6000, just to be sure.

hr6i586.jpg

And then adhered velcro into the inside of the boot armor.  No picture required for that one.

That's it for now.

Edited by TK7639

I would advise maybe getting a bit heavier of a surface weather on the armor parts after watching the Deceived and Alderaan videos again. Like, applying a coat of really thinned paint, letting it sit for a bit, and then dabbing to remove with a sponge or microfiber towel to match the weathering in the groves. It doesn't have to be a heavy weather, but so it is consistent in showing the dark areas as weathering vs outlining.

Those shoes seem perfect for the task!

On 3/5/2017 at 7:48 AM, DarthValkyria said:

I would advise maybe getting a bit heavier of a surface weather on the armor parts after watching the Deceived and Alderaan videos again. Like, applying a coat of really thinned paint, letting it sit for a bit, and then dabbing to remove with a sponge or microfiber towel to match the weathering in the groves. It doesn't have to be a heavy weather, but so it is consistent in showing the dark areas as weathering vs outlining. Those shoes seem perfect for the task!

I agree.  The outlining that was done was kind of by accident as I applied the Rub n Buff over the paint that was too dark to begin with which lead to some pieces being outlined.  Once everything is assembled for the most part I do plan on blackwashing the entire armor just to make it appear more dull.  What I did with my Mandalorian was I blackwashed the entire armor, then after it dried went over it with some steel wool.  This gave it a dirty look as well as weathered the grooves quite well.

Completely off topic but below is how my Mando helmet went.  My Daughter was excited to help out.  The Mando helmet was weathered quite extensively.  The Acolyte won't be done as much.  Just enough to dull it.

VUpxTo4.jpg

I certainly don't want to be too flashy / Shiny.

Edited by TK7639

Back to some progress.  A little bit anyways, below is a rough strapping system made out of a utility belt and a set of suspenders I found at a local thrift shop. 

59KIldK.jpg

The thighs will loop over the utility belt and using both straps will be secured to themselves using buckles to hold them up,

FUVejb5.jpg

The Shirt eventually found at Marks Work Warehouse after hunting through 3 Walmarts.  Probably paid double the price but at the right size and color and the last one they had I wasn't letting it get away.  The pants have been ordered as well, which thanks to my WIfe having a credit on Amazon they cost me nothing.

MLy6JNg.jpg

The neck seal was purchased from Darman off of the First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment forums about 2 years ago.  I've been planning for this build for quite some time.

E8qULPZ.jpg

My Wife was sewing the neck seal onto the shirt last night along with the velcro on the shoulders to secure the shoulder armor in place.  Don't have any pictures of that at the moment but things are coming along.

MTF.

Edited by TK7639

Progress finally, my Rub and Buff arrived so I'm in the progress of touching up what was left when I ran out.  My pants showed up as well, just waffle pattern long underwear, nothing spectacular but they are black and match the shirt so I'm content.

Using photos from the Mynocks den I matched the placement of the belt.

The red mark on the drill bit is how far I had to drill into the resin pouch in order to get the wood screw in far enough to hold but not too far to come through the other end of the pouch.  I don't really know why but this part had me the most nervous.  It's not like I couldn't fix it if I went too far.

WUmeL3G.jpg

There's what's going to be holding the little buggers on.  Wood screws and some mismatched washers as I forgot to replace my stock and didn't want to drive into town to get more.

Plus some E6000 to add a little extra "hold"  I put it on the holes and a little on the back of the pouch.  Highly doubt anything is going to move.

qhb5DaM.jpg

Square head screws are awesome.  Philips, flat, whatever the rest are called I don't know, square head are the best.  Rarely ever slip out while tightening.  Just my humble opinion.

Edited by TK7639

Here's the plan for the chest plate.  Keeping in mind that whatever is to be used is going to be load bearing it's gotta be something strong.  So, I went to facebook and looked up the Mynocks video on how his is laid out.  Pretty much going to follow his example.  No need to re-invent the wheel.  We have some people like that at work.  If it's not broken and works just leave it alone.  Started by getting some heavy duty nylon strapping, and measuring how much is required.

8OGruHJ.jpg

Used the trusty hole punch I've had since making buttons for the Stormtrooper to hold everything in place.  Requires quite a bit of hand pressure to get through but the results are worth it.  I burn the edges with a torch to seal everything.

kpRnwOX.jpg

Following the Mynock (again) I found the hex bolts from Princess Auto

6RRo4G0.jpg

Selected my bolts and nuts.

Aqzc9o1.jpg

Screwed the little buggers in with some E6000 to secure, just in case.

z8QiUD1.jpg

Same exact procedure for the other side.  You may notice the buckle on the right is a tad bigger than the one on the left.  If I hadn't used E6000 I would probably have swapped the right one out so they match, not like it makes a difference.  Anyways, it's staying like this for now.  If you have OCD just look away.

aSN6jl7.jpg

As I looked at the next picture I noticed the top right hex bolt is up a little more than the left.  I just took care of that.  Gave it a quarter turn and now they match.  Not like that would be noticed from far away but I guarantee they are good now.

IcQo4WM.jpg

Also mounted another strap located at the lower part of the chest plate (you'll see from the picture if it doesn't make sense) just for security.  Here's where I messed up on this one.  The hole on the left is a little bigger than the hole on the right.  Which means the bolt on the left is a little bigger than the bolt on the right.  Shouldn't be too noticeable.  It's not that much bigger.  It's not like I have a vehicle lug nut on the side.  Both bolts are the hex ones used above so they should blend into each other and you can't see both at the same time from the front.

FU9wP5Q.jpg

The cloak was sized this morning with help from my better half.  Helps she can sew because I can't.  She will be hemming the arms as they were deliberately left long as the cloak was done about 6 months ago.  I wanted to have the arm armor wearable in order to accurately determine how much of the arms to hem (look at me using sewing talk).  Don't have any pictures as I had on the gauntlets and hand armor while she did the adjustments.  I'm going to attempt the painting method for the red stripes.  Already have the fabric paint and measurements from the CRL.  

That's where we sit right now.  Next will be to attach the Ab and Chest pieces and troubleshoot the suspenders.  Also figure out how the heck to attach the knee straps.  Was leaning towards velcro and just having them a little loose.  I'll figure out that one when I come to it.

That's it for now.

Edited by TK7639
  • Like 1

It was a little pricey but I've been watching his work since he first did the mask and was only thinking about the armor.  I've always had this one on the back burner.  Anyways, I was going to start painting the sleeves of the robe tonight but I bought True Red when I should have Gotten Cherry Red Fabric paint.  I did a test piece from some fabric cut from the robe and will see what it looks like in the morning after drying.  Right now it's way too pink.  Unless by some miracle it dries overnight to a darker shade of red I'll have to do some shopping again.  Which isn't a total waste because the bolts I have to connect the chest armor to the rubber Ab section are a little too short so I have to get longer ones.  This weekend I'll take the kids on a hunt for "supplies", with a stop at a play place or park so they enjoy it too.

See what I mean by too pink.  I'm just glad I did a test strip first.

iOoDs11.jpg

Edited by TK7639