• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Vaylin - SWTOR

Aglarwen

Maybe these are a better match? 

https://www.honeycolor.com/wildfire-eyes-halloween-lens

The other ones I could find were non-Rx, or were sold out. 

The Twilight ones do look pretty close though. In the game her eyes look more gold, but in the mini-films and some of the art, they look way more red. 

I was looking at those too, but they're out of stock too. I'm thinking I might go with the Twilight ones after all. I found someone in Ladies of the Legion who used those for Lana, so I'm waiting for her to get back to me with a real time photo in them before I make any decisions.

I did notice that about her eyes in both things, too lol. It was the same with Arcann.

Weird, earlier today they seemed to be in stock. 

Lana's eyes look more consistently gold, but the contacts do seem pretty close to canon. I think that as long as you point out that in the game, including most cutscenes, her eyes are amber, it would be fine. 

I wish I could do contacts, but I have dry eyes and slight astigmatism. :/ 

EDIT: Put the wrong link in for the ones above. These are the ones I saw, but they look almost *too* red. 

https://www.honeycolor.com/wildfire-eyes-halloween-lens 

Finally got my soft parts finalized for vaylin!

28970b9805f926e748fd8d6a93d47fd9.jpg

I'm turning the top and pants into a full bodysuit for simplicity. The top will be made out of Yaya Han 4 way stretch vinyl in gunmetal. It's a shade lighter than black. The light grey parts will be vinyl painted with acrylic paint. I tested a swatch a while back and the paint doesn't peel when the fabric stretches. I've got a clear gloss paint to give it a shiny finish like the gunmetal vinyl.

For the ribbed parts, I'm getting dark grey neoprene (that's the fabric swatch in the photo) and sewing the ribbing in myself with black thread to give it the depth they sketched into them in game.

My mockup is all sketched out and ready to be cut up for pattern pieces, too!

959ca4bd5eb36e9854fbeb0a25a995e3.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Good news! My tax return finally came through last week, so I was able to get everything else I needed to make this happen! So wig, contacts, and shoes are ordered, and remaining fabric has been purchased!

On Sunday, a friend of mine and I had a crafting day to work on Arcann and Vaylin together. I painted the light grey panels and cut out some other panels to sew together for the suit. He also shaped the gold emblem on my belt buckle with worbla.

1e07e148e979335458e79b3841caa124.jpg

6df195e15fa55f44b8ec0678db278f12.jpg

The countdown to celebration is on!

Hey guys! Been a hot minute since I've updated this! BUT I did manage to bust my butt and get Vaylin finished in time for Celebration. However, there's a lot I need to do before I am ready to submit her for approval.

ba73da54c54db4d3bc7af5b12d433d21.jpg

The soft parts looked great! The cape, hood, and loincloth were made out of the same vinyl the suit was made of and lined with an apparel lining in a similar color. The gold lining was done in Yaya Han vinyl as well, and runes and front piece of the loincloth was painted with fabric paint. The light grey panels ended up being spandex. I tried painting the panels twice and it didn't work, so I had to find spandex in the next closest color. The legs of the suit need to be completely replaced. The neoprene doesn't stretch as much as it needs to, so it pulls the top half of the suit down too much. It's also much lighter than I had wanted. So I'm going to remake the legs in the same dark vinyl I used for everything else, and sew the ribs in with quilt batting.

The shaping, smoothing, and painting of the armor took a while, especially etching all of the lines into each piece. However, the color was a shade darker than what I wanted. And the shins and thighs gave me lots of issues. I also had to add elastic to the gauntlets to make them stay, since the velcro alone wasn't doing the job. I'm going to reshape the armor in foam and cover it in that darker vinyl so it matches the soft parts like I wanted.

I also need to get another pair of shoes, this time completely slip on. I bought laced shoes and covered the tops in vinyl that I painted. But the paint chipped off as soon as I started pulling them on. Sharpie was a quick fix, but they look rough. I'm thinking covering the new shoes in the vinyl as well will work just as well.

Wearing her at Celebration was such a blast though! Vaylin and Arcann were so well received at the SWTOR cantina event and the con. We're very excited to fix them up and wear them again soon!

• Like 2

As a player of the video game, i appreciate a lot your costumes, as well as Arcann. Now you need one more thing : Zakel Guard :D

• Like 1

I got some time last night to start working on my upgrades to Vaylin. This time, the shoulders were shaped in foam and covered with the same vinyl I used on the rest of the suit, and they turned out really nice! Much smoother and cleaner than the worbla version, with the perfect color to match the rest of the costume.fd096a4db61c453562a4e7f5366c6a11.jpg

Been hard at work on my updates the last couple weeks. Armor is now 90% done. Everything is shaped and covered in the fabric, and painted with gold detailing. Just need to add Velcro and elastic in the appropriate spots for my thighs, gauntlets, and shoulders

I also sewed new bodysuit legs the last couple days, complete with new ribbing. This attempt is just a little bit more uneven than the last time. I sewed stitches diagonally across first and then sewed straight down. It's subtle, but still cool looking. There's a quilt batting backing to give it a ribbed effect. I'll probably hate my life with that later, but the vinyl alone wouldn't give the 3D effect of ribbing that I wanted.

All that's left to do is cover my new shoes with fabric, change the ribbing out on the sleeves with the new design, and wait for my friend to design and print the belt accessories and control panel for the left gaunlet.

Completion is very near, getting excited!2ba4cc571f5f9762e0a791136cade11a.jpga704b63455bd82ea6090ff56c3eadb8f.jpg54637894445917d42e6e533bcda11995.jpgff85a6e1b17b367e1c3c80b84d7dd6ea.jpg

Hey guys! I took Vaylin out for a couple more test runs recently with great success. Shoes got finished, all of the 3D printed belt accessories are done, suns are attached to the suit at the hips now, thighs are attached with a garter belt. I couldn't be happier with the results. Have some shots taken by my talented friends!

This one was taken at a mini convention at a baseball game. I was invited to judge the costume contest there, so they took me onto the field to help announce the winners.

fb3b024b55d6450e7b1fbbdc0293e35f.jpg

Also wore her to Metrocon for a brief moment in between shows and sewing costumes for customers backstage

be9cdbc1e8b8d29e9249203ee2b810e8.jpg

A friend also created a GIF showing the costume head to toe. Technically not finished yet because I fixed the neck hem, the holes you see along the border of my thigh armor, and added the suns to the hips after this event.

https://imgur.com/a/mzfAr

Only things I really need to tweak before I send in for approval is stretching the belt so it sits lower on my hips and shows more of the suns and attach the buckle a different way so it doesn't flop as I walk so easily.

Feel free to point out anything else I should touch up before I send her in. I'm always open to feedback, an extra set of eyes can only help to improve it!

I was also working on Vaylin :)

While I didn't have a photoshoot yet (as it is way too hot right now and I'd die in the costume) I do have some photos of it. Apologies for the crappy phone camera.

37592863_2090733334578922_7067675543801430016_o.thumb.jpg.85323dba0b4c81c0a4f556c86bf8cbad.jpgVaylin.thumb.jpg.c3f72ca3758b3d92b9a8f235bd67a9f0.jpg

On quick inspection, there are discrepancies between the chest details, shoulder armor, and boots. I didn't look super close at the rest, but those would need to be changed to match references if she were to apply.