• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Ganner Krieg, Imperial Knight

The Clone Emperor

Guest Anonymous

:shock: Fracking sweet :shock:

feel free to send it my way after it is all done and painted up :wink::wink:

Looks very very good, This is going to look b@d @ss when you are done. I may have to send you my Legacy comics to sign :P

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

"29. Recite the proper incantation and offer the blood sacrafice. I prefer the blood of the unbaptised male child for my work. "--T.S.

I find that to work also!!! :wink: It also helps to tilt your head to left 12 degrees while halfway closing your right eye!!! LOL! :lol:

But seriously..... GREAT WORK, Thomas!!! FAN-TASTIC!!!! :twisted:

Workin' with FB is such a pain in the arse!!! :twisted:

But you make it look easy! :wink:

Nice job, Sir!!! :wink::twisted:

One more update, this one showing my other work space--the CTA commuter train. (I often sculpt, carve, and paint in transit to my illustration job.)

IKS7c.jpg

This is the cast cog inset for the left shoulder bell. It's 1/4" thick and has a slight complex curve. I cast it with resin mixed with aluminum powder. The mix went from liquid to solid in less than one minute. I actually had to cut the pour string between the mix cup and the cast piece.

I'm in a rhythm now, and the components are starting to flow.

Be well,

Thomas

Guest Anonymous

That looks sweet dude, I wish I didnt live in a small apartment so i could do something like that. It tends to limit me somewhat. Plus my girlfriend already gets mad when I leave sawdust and metal shavings all over the living room when Im building lightsabers.

Guest bassclarinets

(thats why anthony has to go out on the patio to do any cutting, sanding, or other work that is messy - he could use the garage, but that would involve moving his car)

jen

IKS8a.jpg

4th of August Weekend update;

Breast plate separated, cape cap and second underbell cast and trued.

Irons in the fyre;

1. Working on belt with Brayton of Corellian Imports.(

2. Awaiting delivery of cheap Vader suit to cut-up and repurpose. (I intend to replace the torso component and extend the arms with thumb loops.

3. Just received white apprentice hilt from Todd of Ultrasabres. I intend to create my own IK styled hilt later, using the electronics and blade from this kit.

Back to work,

Thomas

Guest Cleverlilminx
29. Recite the proper incantation and offer the blood sacrafice. I prefer the blood of the unbaptised male child for my work.

:shock:

Why didn't I notice that sooner!?!

Well it has to be working however, your progress is simply fantastic. I hope to see it in person someday when I can get back to going to cons again. :D

Guest Anonymous

Hey Thomas,

sorry to take your time but please if you find a minute could you please check your PM?s please that would be absolutly friendly.

Greetings Guido

9th of August update;

IKS8b.jpg

These are my L/R sculpts of for the Imperial Knight armoured plate for the backs of the hands. They are sculpted over plaster bandage casts of my gloved hands. I held on to a tube to simulate the position of the fingers around a lightsabre for the cast.

Call me crazy, but I think I can do this for D*C.

Be well,

Thomas

Guest Anonymous

Holy...wow. This is, as usual, STUNNING work, Thomas. STUNNING. I am so excited to see it put together. Heck, I'm just excited to see more in-progress photos. In fact, I hate to admit it, but I think I drooled on the keyboard...scuse me a moment.

LOL!

Seriously, your attention to detail and the perfection of that detail (if I was attempting the same stuff, I know it'd not be nearly so polished) is truly inspirational. I am sorry again I won't be at Dragoncon, knowing now this may be there and worn. But I know I will end up seeing stunning photos and you will be absolutely mobbed.

Congratulations.

- Carolyn

Guest Anonymous

Yes, Sir Thomas, you have once again put together a stunning outfit!!! I can't wait to see it painted that beautiful red!!! ~drool~

We'll have to act as "bodyguards" for the Knight so he'll be able to move around!!! :lol::lol::lol:8)

Good morning,

And once again thank you for the support and enthusiasm. I too seldom use exclamation marks in my own writing. This excitement will trickle down into my mind once I come closer to completion.

And the drool. I know my cat friend is beyond content when he drools. Either that or he is very sick. I aspire to inspire the former.

August, 2007 progress;

IKS8c.jpg

Saturday I took a bath with my armour pieces inorder to wet sand them. (1200 grit) This was in preparation for painting.

The rest of Saturday I took off to DURGE at Wizard World Chicago.

Sunday, I purchased final supplies for the undersuit. I had been looking for over a year for a strech fabric that looks like leather. To my amazement I found the material on my first stop, in a most unexpected place. (More on this with my undersuit update to come.)

Then I cast my forearms up, and began the final sculpts for the armour.

I see folk post bulletins about "X days until Dragon*Con." Of course I read such posts as "X working days until Dragon*Con."

Be well,

Thomas

Guest Sakara

intrigued by the stretch leather type fabric...i found a similar fabric recently to redo my Visas overdress....

Also interestingly...our guy who did the sectret Apprenctice costume for Ce made his 'vaderesq' top with a lining satin..on camera and in general inspection it looks like the leather suits.quite good and a possible alternative to leather for the imp knights.

Guest Anonymous

Ok, it's red & I'm drooling!!!!! :P:lol::lol::lol:

Looks GREAT!!!

You're gonna' look sooooooooooooooooooooo fantabulous at D*C!!!! :twisted::twisted::twisted:

We really WILL have to be your "bodyguards"!!!! :lol:8)

You know how we talk about "2 step outfits"? (You can only take about 2 steps before someone else wants your picture!) Thomas, You're gonna' be in a "NO step" outfit!!!! Once you make your appearence, you're gonna' be stuck in 1 place with a 1000 flashing photographers!!!! :twisted::?8):lol:

Guest Jentress
Thomas, You're gonna' be in a "NO step" outfit!!!! Once you make your appearence, you're gonna' be stuck in 1 place with a 1000 flashing photographers!!!! :twisted::?8):lol:

I definitely know what that's like. This year I'll be sure to be on the other side of the camera for a while. I've come to realize I have a limited number of photographs of this accomplished artist. This needs to be rectified. :wink:

Thank you again. Inspiration is the purpose of this gathering.

I was resolved that I would not leave this weekend without the remaining five pieces of my Imperial Knight armour. Oddly enough the Gods took pity on me and allowed me to meet my goal. I had to skip going to the gym, movie night with my friends, and even dancing but such was necessary.

IKS8d.jpg

Imperial Knight right vambrace process

I started this last week with life casts of my arms with undersuit. I drew on the casts to roughly mark out the maximum area that would still allow for movement. I created a technical illustration to lay over the life cast to aide in keeping the design symmetrical. But this guide was stifling. It forced a flatness on the form. When I realised the impediment, I set the guide aside and sculpted, allowing the form to flow.

Once I had a nice form, I made a two part mold. This would allow me to salvage the sculpt underneathe for later use. I then made a waste mold in plaster. I repaired air bubbles and sealed the joint between the mold halves. After applying a separator wax, I applied a layer of auto body filler before placing a fibreglass foundation. I let the fibreglass "kick over" and then returned to break the waste mold.

I trimmed and rough sanded the parts, and lovingly took the liberated pieces with me to shower.

IKS8e.jpg

Imperial Knight right/left vambraces, right/left hand plates, and lower abdomen plate

Some chase work is left to do but I am pleased with the results. To my delight, and great surprise, process went smooth.

I will celebrate soon.

Be well,

Thomas

Guest Anonymous

The more and more you make for your Imperial Knight makes me more and ready to see the final result. It's looking great!

Guest Anonymous

I know it's sort of a cheat for me just to post and say:

DROOL...

But...um...that really about covers it. I could go on and on about precision and symmetry and detailed oriented fantabulousness, but...

DROOL...

...about covers it.

Rock on with your bad Imperial Knight self, Thomas!

- Carolyn