• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Ganner Krieg, Imperial Knight

The Clone Emperor

GannerKrieg02.jpg

Imperial Knight Ganner Krieg, SW: Legacy VI

Back in March of 2006 I was elated when artist Jan Duursema let me know that she'd be using my likeness for a character in a new Star Wars story arc. I patiently awaited the day for the zero issue to be released and then made my way to local comic shop. It took my friend Matt, the comic store guy, and I a moment to discern which character Jan meant. When I considered that Jan had only seen me with red hair, I realized the mystery character was the Imperial Knight Ganner Krieg.

Ganner's character has been in the background in the series until this issue, number VI. I feel the above image is a readily identifiable likeness and I called Jan share my joy. Appearently, the character will be around for a while, as Jan has asked for more portrait shots.

It is so very exciting to be part of something you love.

Be well,

Thomas

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Congrats on having your face made in to a part of the SW legend, I can't even begin to imagine what that must feel like!

Certainly a good thing to be made in to, there's such a buzz about the Imperial Knights, lot's of costumers want to do this costume, there's about 10 or so people in the UK Garrison who want to do the Imp Knights, currently talking to a few sculptors to see if they would be willing to sculpt the armour for us, so hopefully these will become a real life costume next year at some point.

I don't usually go after characters that are popular. It is strange, but it seems to be the case.

This will be the exception. I have to do this.

ikgk01_127.jpg

This is an early progress image. I will be changing the form quite a bit before I go to make even the first mold.

I like Jan. I respect her as an artist. I felt this way about her work even before we met. Being the reference for a new SW comic charater is an honour for me. It means all the more coming from Jan.

Now I need to get back to work on Bane.

Be well,

Thomas[/img]

im not suprised you're working on this, others may costume as ganner but you will BE him lol.

will keep an eye on this as there are quite a few in the UK who also want to do Imp knights.

Guest Anonymous

Agreed, if you didn't do a costume of Ganner it would be...well...inconceivable! As was said, others may do a costume for the character, but nobody else will ever be the character, as he's based off you! How could you possibly NOT do the costume?

MANY congratuations, Thomas. You make quite a good looking Imperial Knight, if I do say so myself. Prepare for fangirls to drape themselves on you when you're in costume. ;)

- Carolyn

GannerKrieg_S01.jpg

This is a sketch I made to help visualize what my Imperial Knight might look like beneath the cloak.

I sent the image to Jan and spoke to her about the armour on Monday. To help unify the appearence, Jan sent along some sketches of her own which I will now upload to The Flagship Eclipse's Gallery.

Based on Jan's notes and sketches, I will be modifying my own work in progress.

Be well,

Thomas

YOU BEAUTY!!!!!!!!

now if you could get Jan to do sketches of the full costume from front aswell

the latest comic has discrepancies in the costume design (their not drawn by Jan this time) like the jedi lower half, cos in the comic previous to that the bottom half was the vader-esq body suit....

need clarification and id rather go with Jan's design than anyone elses

Guest Darth Revan

I have a few questions about the mechanics of the armor, maybe you will be able to pass on.

1) I am assuming that the Armour seams are on the sides as in traditional armour designs. For the life of me I cannot see where the armour would seam on/near the shoulders. Shoulder straps would be made out of leather, in more traditional designs, but the design appears to have a seamless transition from breastplate to back plate. Where are the shoulder seams?

2) ?Cloak? We have seen drawings of the cloak open and there are drawings were the cloak is closed. With the addition of the Backplate drawings and the plate that goes over the cloak, I fail to see how one would be able to close the cloak and still have the pauldrons and shoulder straps showing. Is there a second cloak they wear?

3) The plate that covers the top of the cloak. Where/how would that attach to the harness? (Historical Note: The word ?harness? refers to the assembled body armour. To include: Breastplate, blackplate, pauldrons, gorget, tassets, vambraces, rerebrace, and whatnot.) EDIT: I think I see a way around this problem. I will try and do a mockup of right side of the harness to show what a possible solution might look like.

4) The top plate of the pauldrons. Do they rest under the shoulder straps when the wearer is at rest? (arms to side) Or do they butt up to the side of the shoulder straps?

5) Vambraces. The red straps, are they made of cloth (elastic band to hold the armour on) or they part of the armour?

6) The shape of the breastplate. The detail look more rounded then angular in most drawings, but there are enough to suggest that there is very little rounded details. (RE: the pectoral details) Which is it?

7) the armour collor. If we could get the PanTone color -- or RGB or CYM

Like you Thomas this is a great help and will require me to make some adjustment to my sculpt.

I would like to share a little progress on my Imperial Knight armour sculpt.

IKS3c.jpgIKS4b.jpg

The posts in the left shoulder are there to allow me to take the shoulder "underbell" on and off. It will be a while before the suit is complete. But I am in no hurry.

Be well,

Thomas

ps

As per the details of the IK armour, I don't feel I am in a position to comment. It has to made and made well before we can decide what works.

Guest Anonymous

Words cannot describe how awesome that actually looks, your costuming talent never ceases to amaze me Thomas!!

Guest Anonymous

I enjoyed reading 10 last night and looked at Ganner as if it was you Thomas... can't wait to see the costume when its done

Guest Anonymous

omg i cant belive how cool that is...you are ganner kreig....that is so cool...im totally getting an IK costume as soon as my custom mando is done...i cant get over her using your likeness as ganner...thats awsome!

Guest Anonymous

Thomas, you NEVER cease to amaze me with your talent!!! :wink::twisted:

Your Imperial Knight will be as stunning as the rest of your outfits!

I can't wait to see it finished! Bane, too!!!! :wink::twisted:

Gracious me, thank you for the support. This is the beautiful part of our community.

I finished this image this weekend;

GannerKrieg_S02.jpg

Ganner Krieg visits the Adega system

I've found that drawing the object of my obsession over and over again helps to solidify its appearance. This image represents my understanding of the IK armour based on all the illustrations and input I have collected to date. I will be modifying my armour sculpt accordingly, right after CIV.

I do hope to meet with all Eclipse members in attendence.

Be well,

Thomas

Guest bassclarinets

(not that it ever needs to be said) but Thomas have fun - i'm sure that you will represent those of us who cannot attend VERY well! :)

jen

Guest Anonymous

I only wish Thomas would come over to England for CE aswell, would be awesome to have his costume's there with us!!!

It's looking awesome Thomas. I look forward to meeting you as well at CIV. Just look for Cade Skywalker. I'll be around in that costume for a couple of days. Hopefully with even more lovely Jedi and Sith ladies hanging on to me.

DSC02905.jpg