• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Naare (The Freemaker Adventures) - Lego as reference?

GoldenCat

Recently I discovered another female dark-sider that I would like to cosplay, but there're three questions.

1)Because The Freemaker Adventures is non-canon, can characters from the source like this even be considered as approvable? I know that Legends are fine, but still. It's easier to ask.
2) There are three sorurces of reference - TV series (LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures), the game (LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens (DLC))  and the Lego figure from a set Eclipse Fighter. So Lego figures is all there is. And as we all know, they aren't very detailed. Can we use lego figures as reference?

lgyxmp574887e29e271_zpsfpc6aet0.jpgIMG_2205_2048x2048_zpsby3jyljk.jpgUntitled-x2_zpsw5nvrap9.jpg

3) There a two types of tatoos on her face - white and red. I would like to do both versions, but I'm afraid that only red ones are truly qualifies as her full-on-dark-mode. Or can we have it as an optional choice?
tumblr_ocsyj5NvtR1se6q8so2_540_zpsdheyustumblr_ocsyj5NvtR1se6q8so4_540_zpsco5vez

Edited by GoldenCat

While not officially a 501st costume, Scott Jones is welcomed to troop with Michigan Garrison as Lego Boba Fett. 
(Scott is a 501st member with a Stormtrooper costume but would be unlikely to be turned away from troops including the 501st.)
14210435496_1c61c9faa1_c.jpg

It sounds like you are asking about making a realistic costume based on a Lego character design.
¿Silver tights or trousers? That is hard to say. But I think there’s enough reference to make a realistic costume recognizable and have fun while doing it.

¿501st approvable?
Approval would be between your GML and LMO. A DL can and should give their opinion, but it is only opinion.
Make the costume excellent and I would argue the case.

¿Should you make the costume even if there’s a chance it would not be 501st approved?

That is up to you. I hope you do.

Be well

Well, I already made the costume, but the LMO said that it is not approvable for the 501st, since there is only Lego as a reference. There is concept art of the Freemaker family in the net, but I couldn't find anything about Naare. Maybe we could ask Lucasfilms for reference or concept art?

I would really love to get the character approved.

I made the costume along the "Generic Jedi" guidelines from the Rebellegion, so not everything looks as it probably should, but I'm quite happy with the outcome.

eris_web_by_jerana-db9f77b.jpg

• Like 2

If you were going to make a LEGO Character, which is what this thread is about, then you would have to look like a LEGO character and not a person.

Your pic looks like a "Generic Sith/Jedi" and that won't fly in the 501st currently .  You can't use a LEGO image and then make a non-LEGO look?

Scroll up and look at the LEGO Boba, that is how the character would have to look if you were going to make a LEGO Character.

Your pic and this pic are 2 different realities.  If you are going for a LEGO look, then it has to look LEGO!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Naare

As Far as my understanding goes, currently no LEGO Characters are approvable, and in the future, if they were, your costume doesn't look LEGO, so it would not be accepted anyway.

Basing a Non-LEGO look, off of a LEGO character, is not going to work.

Moving away from the theory of this ever getting approved in the 501st, Animated needs to look animated, Film needs to look Film quality, LEGO needs to look LEGO!

Not to mention I already see where your costume and the LEGO figure look different, and then we are going back down the road of "Generic" "self interpretation", and "no standards", which won't fly.

But enjoy your costume all the same, just not as an official costume in the 501st.

COSPLAY is one thing, and the 501st is another. One has high standards to meet for acceptance, the other has lower or no standards to achieve and no one judging the costume beside the person building the costume them self.

The whole reason we have LMO/GMO/Detachment input and opinions, is to hold costumes to the highest standards, so that there is quality control in what carries the 501st title.

It is a great costume for COSPLAY, don't take my comments the wrong way, just not to the standards and requirements of the 501st, as an official costume.

I didn't mean to put words in anyone's mouth.  Though perhaps my foot ended up in mine. :)

I just meant that it's unfortunate that the idea of this costume doesn't seem like one that could be approved.  The idea being a "real person" version of a Lego character.

Hopefully Naare will appear in another format, and then perhaps it can be revisited.

• Like 1