• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Mara Jade from Poland

faultfett

Hello everybody! :)

After long, long time (almost five years) of improving and changing details of my costume it's almost ready at last and I've decided to share some photos with you :) I'd also like to ask you for your opinion and maybe you could give me some advice about it :)

I’ve chosen Mara’s costume as she appears in the comic series based on Timothy Zahn’s “Thrawn Trilogy” because I just like the look.

First, my jumpsuit. I used so called “zentai” jumpsuit, with piping and padding added by tailor.

th_jumpsuit.jpg

Harness:

In progress...

th_harness.jpg

Finished :)

th_harness_final.jpg

Knee-pads were vacuformed by my boyfriend. Mould was made of polymer clay (piping from cable):

Mould

th_knee_pad_1.jpg

Just after vacuforming

th_knee_pad_2.jpg

Finished pads

th_knee_pad_3.jpg

th_knee_pad_4.jpg

Shin guards:

I think it was most difficult and time-consuming part of the costume. Moulds were made on the basis of modelled in 3D computer programme model: disks of different diameter were covered with thin strips of plastic, then covered with putty, sanded, then putty again and again. Piping was made from glued cables. We vacuformed the bucks and now just need to fit them together :) I’d also like to add a holster for a knife but as for today it’s just a plan.

Plastic stripes...

th_shinguard_1.jpg

Ready for vacuforming

th_shinguard_2.jpg

Finished guard (before cutting from the sheet)

th_shinguard_3.jpg

Boots:

th_boots_2.jpg

th_boots_1.jpg

Blaster:

It was made with similar technique as used for shin guards: on the basis of 3D model my boyfriend built a mould from plastic and some other pieces. Then he made silicone mould and resin copy. After adding some details blaster was painted black.

Work in progress

th_blaster_1.jpg

th_blaster_2.jpg

Resin cast

th_blaster_3.jpg

Painted

th_blaster_final.jpg

Cowl:

th_cowl.jpg

As a matter of fact it’s my old skirt but it fits perfectly :D

Belt:

Belt needs some upgrading. Soon I hope my back holster for hold-out blaster will be ready. On the photo is an old version (dont pay attention to the lightsaber, it’s an old one too :P).

th_belt.jpg

Goggles:

th_goggles.jpg

Needs repainting but I think looks alright.

Gloves:

th_gloves.jpg

I’m not sure so I’d be grateful if anyone could correct me if I'm wrong: I have beige cowl. Can I have black gloves then? Or shall I replace them with beige ones?

Lightsaber:

th_lightsaber.jpg

Luke’s first lightsaber which he has given to Mara. It’s an FX without a blade.

Well, that’s all. I hope that if everything will be okay I will join our Polish Garrison of 501st Legion soon :)

When we finish shin guards and holster I’ll add some photos of me in my complete costume :) By now I only have few photos of an older version (different jumpsuit and old boots). And yes, my boyfriend is a biker scout so the helmet on the photo is not accidental :D (and I’m very proud because recently he was accepted as a Lancer of the 501st Pathfinders Detachment! :D)

On Star Wars Celebration Europe, London

th_Celebration.jpg

Wedding of a friend :)

th_Slub.jpg

Star Wars convention “Dagobah” in Gorzow, Poland

th_Dagobah.jpg

And two more:

th_MaraRef.jpg

th_MaraRef2.jpg

Guest Sakara

im not sure but i think if submitting as a 501st Mara you need her other lightsaber, her bad girl saber as such, as the one Luke gives her is when she has turned to the light.

Allow me to amuse you with my understanding of Polish;

Ty vegalundas bardzo eleganca, mój Kohana. --And I mean this sincerely.

Wonderful work, and it fits you well.

An allowance is provided for a number of Lightsabre accessories for Mara Jade.

For your membership approval photos, please be sure to wear the completed leg armour, and straightened hair.

I am impressed by your work and at the same tyme proud of our Pamela for setting such a strong standard for the character.

Be well,

Thomas

Leave the Luke sabre for submitting to the RL :) And just use the blaster for the registration process :)

You’re right, I forgot that it’s “good” Mara’s sabre :/ I think I leave the sabre by now and maybe later think of building this

http://www.plasmainfusion.com/mara%20jade1.jpg

hilt. I like it's design very much :)

Looking good there :) Great method for the shin guard modelling :) Will have to appropriate it myself.. I saw a similar method used to build a Clone helmet too.

As a matter of fact the method doesn’t work so well :( Shin guards look alright but plastic strips we used were so thin that even under few layers of putty got warm from the heated sheet of plastic during vacuforming and started to deform and subsided a bit... So the moulds we built are “disposable” rather :] I think we’ll try to make casts from vacuformed guards again.

Allow me to amuse you with my understanding of Polish;

Ty vegalundas bardzo eleganca, mój Kohana. - And I mean this sincerely.

Hey! I’m impressed! :D Where did you learn Polish? ;)

Wonderful work, and it fits you well.

Thank you very much for your kind words :)

For your membership approval photos, please be sure to wear the completed leg armour, and straightened hair.

On these photos my hair is curled bit but my natural hair is just wavy. During last weekend of March we plan to visit Polish convention in Poznan and I think I'll be able to present my finished costume there. I take and sent some photos with my membership request then :)

I am impressed by your work and at the same tyme proud of our Pamela for setting such a strong standard for the character.

Thank u once again :) I think stndards that Pam has set are at very high level. It’s good but still it’s so hard to equal to Pam’s costume! I think she’s perfect as Mara and her costume is best Mara’s costume ever! It’s made sooo proffessional and looks great! She’s in my opinion even better Mara than Shannon, really :)

Uff, at last managed to vacuform my shinguards! During this week we need to invent how to put them together, most likely we use velcro. Here are some photos:

th_Guard_1.jpg

th_Guard_2.jpg

th_Guard_3.jpg

th_Guard_4.jpg

th_Guard_5.jpg

Don't know why (all parts were made from the same sheet of plastic) there is small difference between colour of guards: two of them are bit lighter than others :( But I hope it isn't very visible... :?:

Ja lubia tofuje bote moj Kohana.

Excellent work. I believe you will be bringing a fine Mara Jade to the ranks, and I applaud your effort.

Thank you.

Uff, at last managed to vacuform my shinguards! During this week we need to invent how to put them together, most likely we use velcro.

I glued a large piece of fuzzy side velcro down the front inside to create a "hinge" that stays permanently on my shin guards. It lets me "clamshell" open them slightly for putting them on and taking them off, and it holds them firmly together while I'm wearing them.

On the back openings, I glued smaller pieces of fuzzy velcro to each side at the top and bottom of the guards. When I put them on, I use a strip of hook side velcro (the sew-on type, not the glue kind) to close the gap at the top and the bottom. I have to squeeze my fingers in between the shin guards and my boots to fit the velcro into place, but it works pretty well and it isn't visible on the outside of the guards.

Pam :-)

I glued a large piece of fuzzy side velcro down the front inside to create a "hinge" that stays permanently on my shin guards. It lets me "clamshell" open them slightly for putting them on and taking them off, and it holds them firmly together while I'm wearing them.

On the back openings, I glued smaller pieces of fuzzy velcro to each side at the top and bottom of the guards. When I put them on, I use a strip of hook side velcro (the sew-on type, not the glue kind) to close the gap at the top and the bottom. I have to squeeze my fingers in between the shin guards and my boots to fit the velcro into place, but it works pretty well and it isn't visible on the outside of the guards.

Thanks! :) We've done something like that but still I think your shin guards look better a lot, like one piece of plastic, whereas on mine the edge that overlaps another is visible... But most important thing guards look alright and are very comfortable :)

I'd also like to ask you about pads under your shin guards and knee pads. Do you use them for protection or were they intended just to be a part of the costume, let say "decorative"? They look very well for me and I'm wondering if I could make something similar. If you could give away the secret, did you use ready protector pads or did you make them yourself?

Apart of that allow me to express my admiration for all work you've done to create your costumes. I'm really, really impressed and grateful for your all your guidelines and references for Mara's costume. They were really helpful. We had ofcourse some ideas and conceptions how to make some parts of my costume but without your instructions I think it wouldn't went so well :)

I found some photos from the process of making my shinguards. Here they are:

Computer 3D model

th_Leg.jpg

Plastic tower :D

th_Leg_1.jpg

Putting the putty

th_Leg_2.jpg

Sanded

th_Leg_3.jpg

Tomorrow I'm gonna wear my complete costume for the first time so after this weekend I'll put some photos :)

Guest Sakara

oooh i love the suit...looks awesome! my fav pic is the backshot, i dunno i just looks like its Mara herself

Guest Daritha

As if you are NOT looking wonderful in your Mara costume, Pam. ... Women. :roll:

Since I noticed the tattoo on her left shoulder: What about tattoos? I'm really sure that they're not allowed as part of the costume. So, they must always be covered when wearing the costume or the allowed?

Btw: Beautiful Mando artwork. :D

Gosh Pam, how could you say things like that? Everyone can tell you the same: you look gorgeous in your Mara and you're best Mara ever! I'd like to have your figure! And your jumpsuit! And I'm sure you don't have to be afraid that anyone could take your place as perfect Mara ;)

Since I noticed the tattoo on her left shoulder: What about tattoos? I'm really sure that they're not allowed as part of the costume. So, they must always be covered when wearing the costume or the allowed?

I was wondering if I should cover it with some make up but no one told me that it's obligatory, so for the time being I do not use any means to hide it... but I think that I should :oops: as I know that it just don't look right :] Sakara told me about some ways to cover tattoos so I must buy and try them on my own soon ;)

Btw: Beautiful Mando artwork. :D

Guest Daritha

As I said I'm really sure about the tattoo part but I'm also only human. I think I read this in some costume guide lines from the Legion. Tattoos must be covered when they're not part of the costume.

To be true: The tattoo wouldn't be a problem for me. I would only wonder where Mara got it. Dark past including some Mandalorians, bad ideas, an inked needle and some glasses of gihaar? :wink:

As I said I'm really sure about the tattoo part but I'm also only human. I think I read this in some costume guide lines from the Legion. Tattoos must be covered when they're not part of the costume.

Think you're right although I cannot find that note :/ Instead of that I found other way to hide the tattoo - use some kind of armband, the one Mara wears on that th_Mara_DSSB.jpg pic :)

I would only wonder where Mara got it. Dark past including some Mandalorians, bad ideas, an inked needle and some glasses of gihaar? :wink:

:D Some people actually believe that Mara was involved in some Mandalorian affairs. Personally not me but... it still could be an explanation :D Well, some day for sure Mara's story will be explored and surely we'll know everything about her origin... and I really don't know if I'd like to :(

Guest Daritha

I was looking around here in the forum and also on the 501st website, but couldn't find anything either. This memory is possibly rooted in a short discussion about an (non canonical) tattoo for Starkiller - one he wears on a "How I draw Starkiller" guide on SW.com.

A (canonical) armband is a good idea! ... So I also know what you are hiding under it. :D

Whoah, haven't been here for a while ;)

Just want to let you know that I almost finished my new harness straps and belt with pouches and holster. Still need to put it altogether but think it looks quite well:

DSC08292.jpg

The smallest piece is an armband - I've got a bad bruise on my arm and I need to cover it before my next event (that is, this Saturday) - unfortunately still do not have any good paint to cover it (as well as my tattoo :oops:) so I thought it will do :]

I'd also like to add a piece of hook to hang my lightsaber, which I've bought last year - this is Leia's thingie, with which Mara killed Joruus C'baoth and Luke's clone in TLC comic - quite accurate replica, I think (but it's a pity that it's bit heavy. I'd love to add a blade but seems it's impossible :/):

314333_2777728001545_1208487770_4908021_1661760234_n.jpg

Beznazwy1-2.jpg

What do you think?

the saber looks nice! and the belt looks good so far, but the true test is when your wearing it, that's the picture I look forward to.

^_^ Katie

Thanx! :) You're right - the whole thing is about how it looks when weared. These are maybe not the best photos but I think it turned out nice - I'll remember to take some good shots on a SW session which will be held at the end of September. Now it looks kinda this way:

th_5-1.jpg

th_4-1.jpg

th_3-3.jpg

th_2-5.jpg

And not the best shot but this is the only one that shows back of the belt:

th_1-9.jpg