• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Ventress Nightsister with Flail

General Princess

Hi! I'm starting on this costume and looking at making the axe flail weapon, instead of the lightsabers.

29752058211_66f2fe8ff5_n.jpg

I have what might be kind of a dumb question: The short section between the handles, is it flexible or rigid? I don't remember seeing her use this (I haven't seen all of Clone Wars, tbh. *hides face in shame*) and this is the only image I can find, so I'm not sure how it's supposed to be wielded. Any ideas?

She does use it. In the episode where she trains Savage Oppress. I believe it is flexible but would have to watch the episode again. She removes several Nightbrothers with it. 

If you play it in .25 speed you can see that her hands collapse towards one another, but it's sort of hard to see. It definitely looks flexible.

https://youtu.be/jRuWWpTnQI8?t=1m55s

• Like 1

Thanks, y'all! Thanks especially for that clip, Valkyria. I've got the episodes and plan to take copious notes. :)

Meanwhile, I did a slap-dash mock up of the cowl/mask. The sides need to be brought in and front brought down, and I'm going to have to figure out a back closure (probably velcro). Overall, though, I'm generally pleased with the shape. The fact that it's bubble gum pink is my gift to you.

29950883216_1e990bd306_n.jpg

(I was using that fabric to mock-up something else, so it happened to be handy. Also, I like pink.)

I also found good fabrics for the dress and cowl (heavyweight cotton jersey and mid-weight spandex blend, respectively) and a basic pattern to work from:

29358591514_ca8d7b3764_n.jpg

(With adjustments, obvs, including getting rid of that weird hood.)

For the sash, I have some nice red broadcloth handy. The color is absolutely perfect, but I'm not sure about the drape. Will have to test it and see, so fingers crossed.

The other thing I'm pondering, atm, is the make-up, which I'm sure is a challenge for everyone whose done this costume. What's got me is the skin color. Is it greyish white or a very very pale slate grey? I've done solid white make up before, and I'm wondering if I can get the right effect by doing a white base and layering light blue-grey shadows over it, or if there's a way to get a close enough shade, either pre-made (Mehron's Moonlight White looks promising?) or by mixing. I've got an airbrush, which I suspect will turn out to be useful. Any input on this will be much appreciated.