• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Malgus Silicon mask, is it approvable?

Ratchet

Hi

Sorry, that you haven´t gotten any respons on this - unfortunately I´m not an expert on this character, so I can´t tell you if it can be used.

I´ll see, if I can get another mentor or a staff member to look at this. 

The sculpt of the mask is very good. The paint scheme however would need to be altered slightly. Darth Malgus has a much more grey pallor to his skin as well as dark grey veins. So you can buy the mask and then re-paint it. Hope that helps! 

You need to be able to move the mouth. Requirements for masks and prosthetics in the 501st that state you can not cover your entire face, as with Palpatine's CRL requirements below, but that full face masks are acceptable if you are still able to make facial expressions (e.g. mouth movements): 

• The prosthetic appliance are well blended into the skin reducing the noticeable separation between the skin around the eyes and mouth and the appliance.
  • Very high end silicone masks that custom fit to the face and allow the full use of facial expressions are allowed.

Yeah, I was aware of that, thats why I was looking at this particular mask, did you watch the video? ( below the picture in the 1st post).

Also with Malgus his nose and mouth are covered by a mask/breather, so that also removes some of that for consideration.

Appreciate the comments.

Yeah, I was aware of that, thats why I was looking at this particular mask, did you watch the video? ( below the picture in the 1st post).

Also with Malgus his nose and mouth are covered by a mask/breather, so that also removes some of that for consideration.

Appreciate the comments.

Ah, there is no video on mobile version. There is a version with Malgus both with and without mask where he's still effed up post Alderaan battle, but has no mask. If you're doing mask version you'll be fine.

There is no CRL for the unmasked version yet since only one version has been made, but there are 3 versions of Malgus that I know of: Pre Alderaan, post Alderaan, and the masked post Alderaan. Seeing as though you were looking into the complete face covering vs only partial with the mask, it was unclear which you editor be going for. Post Alderaan is burned around the mouth and wrinkled like masked version, but is just before mask version. This also means technically you could create 2 costumes from that mask if it were deemed approvable.

• Like 1

Not a big fan of that mask. But that's just my opinion. It will require a ton of prep to keep it glued to your face during troops. And it doesn't let ANY airflow to your skin during those troops. A problem I have encountered during any hot troop. I just uses a sculpted bald cap and a forehead prosthetic to keep in true to Malgus. Again, just my two cents.

• Like 2

I appreciate your in put, did you watch the video? This mask doesn't require gluing in place, so it can be removed and replaced for breaks during a troop.

I plan for Malgus to be a special event/con costume which will be inside and A/C.

I researched the masks myself before applying for 501st.

Clearly the choice for masks are yours. I can only say that even trooping in my set up (which is VERY friendly) I still sweat a ton. I have done cold arena's, outside, and AC'd cons. Keeping the mask attached is always an issue. And that style of mask would make it even hotter and more difficult. And no matter what you may think, in order for that mask to look right it HAS to be glued around your eyes. Otherwise it makes the whole "look" seem unrealistic.

No offense to anyone that may go the full pullover mask route, but without glue on the eyes it's very easy to tell it's a mask due to the eye separation.

I don't mean to sound snobby. I just think if we all spend $100's-$1,000's on these builds, we all clearly have passion about what we do. And wouldn't want to settle for an unglued mask as the "final touch" to what no doubt will be an amazing build. :-)

Best of luck and if I can help anyway let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Malgus1438
  • Like 1

I think the mask (yes I watched the video) is way too wrinkled, if you compare it to pics of Malgus he only has a wrinkled forehead and bulging veins on his forehead.  That mask is wrinkled every where, whereas the sides of malgus's face are some what smooth (besides the burned area on the left side of his face).

Just my opinion, as I am also interested in making this costume in 2018, and since I shave my head anyway, I will be going more the route of makeup rather than mask.

If the mask builder could smooth out the face more, I think it would look more like Malgus.

• Like 1

To Reply to Ratchet, Malgus1438,Yankee71,

All responses are correct, yet I must admit I have purchased the mask that is listed and shown above on the You Tube Video!

Jeremy Oneal, Oneal FX Studios makes the Silicon Mask, your going to pay around $300-$350 with shipping and handling depending on where it is being sent!

About the Mask you still will have to use adhesives to glue the sternum and jaw  and lip area, if you have a mustache or beard not advisable with the glue adhesive.

Depending on your make up skills you can make the mask look really awesome. There are 2 versions of Malgus as the Padawan before his injuries and of course the Battle of Alderan.

Malgus 1438 is correct that silicon parts that are glued at certain parts of the face is easier to handle and less pressure on the head, the mask weighs a good 2 & half pounds that is extra on top of your  face.

For eliminating the sweating problem I used Silicon PVC Tubing that fit underneath the mask with air holes and 2 ventilators that goes  underneath the armor around the belt area!

Completely removing the sweat is impossible, within 15 minutes without the fans your ear holes  of the mask will start dripping water out!.

Trooping in the Summer with the mask is not advisable, im planning on a event this May of Power of the Force Con to see how it goes?

You will need an assistant to watch over you while trooping with the complete gear on especially with the Mask (plenty of water with a straw, do not forget the straw). For Make Up you need to use Camo Make up that is water resistant preferably Black around the Eye areas. for the Mask Oil Based make Up that is removable later. There are ways to cheat the air flow bye making tiny holes in the latex silicon mask at the top of its head, but you can see the steam coming out especially if your in a cool area....

Other wise it´s all trial and error, big issue when wearing the Mask you will need to put a Fan within the Respirator that you can wear as optional. I would advise while wearing the respirator built a fan in the mouth area so you receive enough oxygen and do not pass out.

Hope this helps!

20190131_212429.jpg

20190131_212606.jpg

• Thanks 1

@Rep.Command really appreciate getting feedback from someone with the mask. You tips and points are greatly appreciated.

Although this post is quite old now, I still fully intend on bringing Malgus to life in Australia...and I see getting the face correct which ever path I follow as a critical step.

Thanks to everyone for your support and experiences 

• Like 1

@ Ratchet, great to hear. Yes the Character is a dynamic Sith Lord, actually one of the most powerful of all within the story legacies that inspired Emperor Palpetine. Try to get the Book of the Sith to get detailed information on Malgus, or the Paperback Deceived, there you have great info on his characteristics, his issues as well envy and jealousy issues with Eelana. I get into the character because I actually almost live a  lifestyle as such because of the respirator at night due to my snoaring and facial scars that I had received in Iraq threw O.P. Desert Storm in the 90´s. But enough about me, it´s up up to you how you bring the Sith Lord to life....

take care!.

Mike 

20190126_144044.jpg