• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

COTF Nihilus Advice: Now with Pictures

Tiedoll

Hello ladies and gents of Sith Legends, I'm glad to report that my COTF Nihilus is nearly complete with just a few tweaks and detailed questions left unanswered. To all the experts and amateurs of this build I have a few details I need some clarification on to smooth out my approval process with my GML.

1. The Skirts: so my inner skirt (longer one) and outer skirt (shorter one) are currently sewn together at the waist for ease of costuming. Is this okay? The CRL only mentions okay-ing sewing the inner skirt to the inner tunic, so I'm not sure. My GML would likely tell me to ask you guys anyways.

- Skirt Length and Tripping: As long as I move fowards only and caution turning sides I won't have a problem with tripping over the fabric, but moving backwards is an issue. The CRL states that the skirts need to be nearly dragging on the floor and mine may be a 1-2 inches too long. Is this a problem anyone else is having?

2. The Saber: my lightsaber is modeled after the plain one (http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll317/drdicarlo/KOTOR%20sabers/In%20Game%20Saber/115_09.jpg) and not the one matching the hilt provided in the COTF Nihilus CRL, but the description in the CRL only requires that the hilt be from KOTOR. Is this still okay?

3. The Boots: I have calf-high boots that look plain when I wear my worn-out black martial arts pants. The pants cover all of the details on the boots (laces and other designs/logo) when worn. Do I still need to buy plain black boots in-place of these or is this okay?

DSC010761.jpg
DSC010741.jpg
DSC010721.jpg
DSC010701.jpg
DSC010681.jpg
DSC010661.jpg
DSC010881.jpg
DSC010901.jpg
DSC010821.jpg
DSC010801.jpg
http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx92/timcampy01/Nihilus/DSC010781.jpg

1. I have the outer skirt sewn to the inner of my costume so I don't know what it would be like any other way.  I'm guessing as long as no one can tell the difference it should be fine to sewn it to the inner skirt.  The only real time I have issues with stepping on my skirt is going up stairs.

2.  I don't have a saber that is an exact match to the picture either, but as long as it is a KOTOR style hilt, meaning it closely matches something you'll find in game, I would think it should be fine.

3.  I'm not sure about wearing pants over your boots.  I suppose you're really only going to see the toes of the boots so it could probably work.  That may be something up to you GML to decide.

Hi

The CRL on the 501st page about the inner- and outer skirt is wrong !

We are trying to get it fixed - the CRL in here is the right one.  I hope that the DL or another of the staff members will chip in on this - I´ve already asked for help, again.

Regarding the hilt - it is not a must have for approval, but if you want to carry one, it needs to be like the KOTOR versions.

Also, the boots, as long as we can´t see any straps/laces or logos, they should be fine.

As long as there are 2 distinct skirts and they have the correct split up the front, you can wear them however is best for you. The important thing is the correct final look of the costume, not so much how you decide to put it together. There are about 20 different ways people make the hood and "cat ears" but they all look great in the end. As for skirt length, it should reach the floor, but you want to keep safety in mind and should not be tripping on it. I have my skirts belted on so that I can adjust the height by an inch or two. If I'm walking in a parade I belt it higher so I don't trip. If I am standing in a photobooth with minimal movement, I belt it lower to hide my boots. Hope that helps. :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. It's all very helpful, especially the detail on the skirts (which I might have to wear even higher on my torso). As for my submission pics to my GML I'm thinking of also adding a close-up of my tunics to show that I have 2 of them, and one holding my inner and outer skirts apart to show that I have 2 of them. I probably also need to show a close up of the gloves to show that they are plain and the sleeves to show that they are patterned.

My boots are getting pretty worn anyways so I'll look into a local army surplus for anything resembling German Jack boots for sale. Getting a balaclava is easy enough.

What do you typically wear under the robes? I have a black long sleeve UnderArmour shirt and black martial arts pants (they're really worn out already so I thought it would be perfect).

It´s always good to provide pics of all the different details or if you have a WIP thread to link to that, so the judges can see the progress of the build.

You can use what ever works for you as an undersuit + perhaps use something like the stormtroopers are using, those are good to get the sweat away from the body  :wink:

I´m still waiting for our DL and staff to get the CRL on the 501st page fixed... 

• Like 1

It´s always good to provide pics of all the different details or if you have a WIP thread to link to that, so the judges can see the progress of the build.

You can use what ever works for you as an undersuit + perhaps use something like the stormtroopers are using, those are good to get the sweat away from the body  :wink:

I´m still waiting for our DL and staff to get the CRL on the 501st page fixed... 

I have a first order undersuit feels fine with the robes on but I'm feeling that compression pants and UnderArmour shirt is the way to go. Ruins my cover-up plan for the old boots though, so I REALLY need the right boots now.

I wear the black under armour shirt and pants from my Clone armour under my Nihilus. Helps keep me cooler under all those layers of fabric. 

• Like 1

So I'm using a sculpted mask from MWA and it still shows part of my cheeks in full costume. Since it's Spring I'm having a hell of a time finding a balaclava in stores. A friend of mine recommended that I get a black shemagh instead because it's more cooling than a balaclava. Any thoughts on this?

This would ideally sit under the sculpted black mask. I know some prefer to buy a blackout mask and just wear their skull over it. I'm down for either option but I heard that having the skull sitting directly on your face gets uncomfortable over time.

So before approval I've been notified that I need more plain Jack boots, which I might have a solution for via local costume store. I've seen them sell pirate boots when I went there 2 years ago (yes that's too long ago).

The gloves however are a big issue. If you look really close, you can see that the fingers are a tad too long and clunky on my hands.  The size of the gauntlet is accurate and goes to mid-forearm, and it technically fits the width of my hand. I just don't have long fingers and thumbs like most men do. I don't know if the shop will have gauntlet leather gloves on hand, but we'll certainly see tomorrow when I stop by for the boots. In the high chance that they won't have what I need, does anyone have recommendations for Nihilus gloves?  :ribbit:

If you can find gloves with no stitching on the back, that will also improve the accuracy. Quite a few people buy the stitched Vader gloves for Nihilus, but those are wrong. Nihilus should have no visible stitching on the gloves. Hope that helps! 

• Like 1

These are from glovecityleather518 on eBay and I've gotta say, I'm pretty in love with them compared to the last pair of gloves. 890b34c3c2a8dd2f42a01937ef7c5755.jpgea6681237211694d5bb0c2ea3afb513e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally got my German Jack boots and turns out they were too thin around my calves. Used super sharp scissors to cut them down a bit, so now they fit perfectly. I was just notified that I was approved so I'll be getting my legion ID within the next few days to weeks.

3175fe40dfe86d79f8e8e32f471e61f4.jpg8baa92ac73ced0a8f890abf874f04c07.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HahHahh! That was so much fun. Probably my favorite SDCC I've ever been to (and this was my 16th year).

The group photo (both of em) were epic! I love the guys giving me a hug at the 501 one xD I almost didn't make it to that shoot. The staff wouldnt let me up the elevator.

Edited by Amidala