• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Dark Lord (hoth) Vest 2.0

Yankee71

I redid my vest for my dark lord's armor (hoth) costume.

The old Vest was the wrong cut, too high in the back, The back plate didn't line up as it should, was paper thin, looked brand spanking new out of the box.

Someone commented on my costume, that it looked "Clone Trooper New", as in going into your 1st battle, and your armor looks clean as a whistle. lol

So I made a new vest, made the right cut, right height in the back, the back plate lines up as it should, thick and more stable.

Oh yeah and I scuffed it up so it doesn't look "Clone Trooper New" lol

What do you think?

Vest2.0comparison.jpg

Vest2.0A.jpg

Vest2.0B.jpg

This looks fantastic!! The v.01 looked good but v.02 really stepped it up -- it's amazing what a little extra attention to detail can bring out in a costume. V.02 looks a lot sturdier -- what materials did you use for both versions (just curious!). 

Edited by NightShine

V1.0 Total cost €113. Total time 3 weeks (tailor made)

I always start out with paper lol, for the cut out. V1.0 was 48 cm middle, 27 cm ends

V1.0 was just fake leather taken to a tailor (I cant sew) with the paper cutouts, and then they sew it together. 

On Paper V1.0 looked right, but once you wrap it around your body it was just too straight edged and paper thin, but it was strong, but felt like nothing.

Here is the kicker

V2.0 Total cost €43. Total time 18 hours (self made)

V2.0 was 45 cm middle, 17 cm ends, and 18 cm in from each end I made 15 cm, because the vest always seem to look like it dips lower on the sides, but then it comes back up again.

It looked really way to pointy when I 1st made it, but once you wrap it around your body it looks right.

Paper.jpg

Then I cut out 1mm thick PVC plastic and Linoleum, in Complete and individual strips.

Linoleum.jpg

The layers went from outside to inside: Fake leather, PVC Plastic strips, Linoleum strips, PVC Plastic base, Linoleum Base, Fake leather. (with glue between every layer).

I would guess it is 1-1.5 cm thick, but I have not measured its thickness.

Then I cut off 1 mm of the inner and bottom edges of the strips, which made spaces between for the "Ribs".

It looked really really clean and beautiful, before I scuffed it up.  Not sure I am happy with the weathered look, I think I am more of a "Clone Trooper New" lol

To get it back to Clone trooper new, I just need another piece of fake leather and some more glue (€17 and about 1 hour time), so not a big deal if I want to change it back.

V1.0 was garbage in comparison to V2.0 and cost about 3 times the price.  Even if V1.0 had the new cut, I am still much happier with the way I built it this time as it is strong, yet still soft to the touch.  There is also the satisfaction of doing something new all by yourself, and having it turn out wonderful, why I was a bit sad when I had to scuff it up lol.

lol wow! So v.02 was less money AND less hours to make (funny how that goes right?!). I will usually use paper templates as well (even my 3-dimensional costume parts, such as a bag). Paper is just too handy not to use in my opinion! I'm sort of familiar with linoleum but strips of PVC plastic? Do you just get that at a normal hardware store? I always seem to find something new to add to my knowledge :) 

If you're looking for a really cool weathered effect look I'd recommend 'dry brushing' some metallic paint on -- I'm a sucker for this method lol This is a bracer from a fantasy armor set of mine -- left has no weathering and right has weathering (the dry brushing method). 

bracers_zpsxfccgv2l.jpg

I also COMPLETELY agree with you on the satisfaction of doing something yourself (and then being able to be proud of it and show it off to everyone hehe). I recently remade my Revan's mid-section armor and the before and after pictures are too funny --> (top is new one / bottom is old one). I guess having your finished costume is one thing but then making improvements and upgrading it is another :) Have you worn this piece yet at an event to see if it properly holds up? Nothing like finishing something and it falls off while at a convention or a troop! Because that happened to my Revan's butt belt ): I danced too hard and it flew right off of me lmao

bamidsection_zpsmhgvz11u.jpg

Thanks for the sharing of knowledge.

Your pics look amazing.

Yeah the pvc plastic is black, comes in sheets, and is very thick and strong.  I guess the best example for what it is really used for is a pool or pond liners, or what you lay under plants, when you don't want weeds and grass to grow up between the plants..

Also if you are a fan of heat guns, you could melt it over solid objects.

I think I am going to get more glue and fake leather on Monday, and do a new outer look again, and this time make it "Clone Trooper New", because it really looked amazing, before I scuffed it up, and I want to go back to that look, as that is more to my taste.

lol thank you! I always find showing photos is a lot easier than explaining D: 

Oooh pool and pond liners - I get this! To use a heat gun over plastic like that concerns me about health issues lol but thinking of the melting effect over an object is very intriguing and now I want to try it.

If ' new trooper' look is what looks best then go for it!! Don't let someone else say otherwise :) in my opinion, some costumes look better brand new vs weathered -- either way, both can have their appeal but at the end of the day it's whatever makes you happy with your costume! Good luck!

Well this is my new hobby.  

Once my costume is accepted, my plan is not to stop there or make another costume, but rather keep improving on this costume, till I cant think of anything to do to better it anymore.  

If I just say I am done, then I would have nothing to do between troops lol.

Things I plan on improving on this costume in the near future:

Making a Vest V3.0, where the back of the vest is connected to the vest, and actually ties up like a corset in the back, so making it functional and even more real.

Getting the lvl 2 Cert for the lightsabers, having all the correct named lightsabers on the list (still waiting to hear if Shaak Ti Lightsaber hilt will remain on the list or be removed).

Making the Spine (neck armor).

Putting a leather wrap on my lightsaber hand grip.

Getting a cooling system installed in my helmet.

Getting a voice modulator, that will make my voice sound more star wars starkiller like.

and once that is all done, I will probably have looked even harder at this costume, and found something else I can improve on lol.

My wife just doesn't want to hear another word about star wars, my costume, and I am not allowed to take over the living room with my costume work anymore lol.

The Struggle IS real...lol

Oh! Are you still finishing Starkiller?? But yeah! Omgoooosh you'll always be improving/fixing a costume (just how it goes!). Why spend so much time and money on a costume to a character you love and not make it the best it can be :) I always have to have a new project or I go nuts, but not until I'm fully satisfied with the work on the previous costume. At least you've got a clearly defined list on what you want done in the near future! After Starkiller, what other characters do you have in mind you'd want to make? I'm currently working on a Cad Bane but because of me learning new, difficult skill sets (such as advanced leather working and prosthetics), not to mention make my wallet cry, this build will take me all year -- but that's OK because I have time to make each part as perfect as my OCD will let me hehehe Well, at least my husband just got into making costumes and already loved Star Wars (he's making a Rebel *scum* X wing pilot suit from the original trilogy) so I guess home free there!! Then again, he knew he married crazy so if he didn't like those things he knew what he was getting into :) Maybe you could convince your wife that making costumes is super fun and maybe she'll fall in love with a character from Star Wars and want to cosplay as said person. As a wise caption once said, "Never give up, never surrender!"

Well finished Vest V3.0 last night, really happy with the size, cut, look, and feel.  No energy to take a pic, stayed up way to late last night getting it done, maybe later I will take pics of it.

Today this arrived in my email: SL-11671 

:))

• Like 1

wow! All these pictures are so great!  Nice work...  the dancing butt belt made me laugh...so funny.  I love the pvc thought as well. Love that weathered look too.