• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Revan V2.0

Teraxis

So it is a new year and I am beginning to build a new and improved Revan.  I lost close to 40lbs since I built my Original Revan and the Fiberglass armor was quite frankly too big for me by the end of January.  So I am rebuilding from the ground up!  Technically I guess it is a head to toe rebuild because The mask arrived first.  

Mask post:

Revan masks are some of my favorite things!  One of my biggest issues wearing the V1 was the narrowness of the eye slit.  So after some searching around I found a mask that has a slightly wider slit.  And after alot of sanding and paint I could not be happier with how it came out.  It features some very comfy padding and 3 way adjustments on the straps!

She started very rough.

062.jpg

I think it came out great though!

099.jpeg

Note  I put a hardrive magnet in the forehead that will later help keep the hood in place. 100.jpeg

Edited by Teraxis

Vader's Vault Rev-N Elite arrived today it is too damn pretty!  

20160627_161046.jpg

20160627_161057.jpg

VV new enhanced red day blade vs regular blade in bright sun light!

20160627_162844.jpg

20160627_162802.jpg

Edited by Teraxis

Boots These are actually the only piece that is staying the same from my Original build.  German Jack boots!

8D2FA8E5-F64E-43B7-A2D3-52F7430B0F0E.jpg

033.jpg

Yours is a wonderful sculpt for the face mask.

Bully on you.

Thank you!  I cannot wait to get the rest of this together!

While I am busy stalking the mailman for my new armor I thought it might be a good time to get some opinions on something.  I really liked the way the O-ring belt I made for my other Revan came out and I am thinking of going in the same direction with V2.0 so I thought I would see what the general thoughts were on it. 

The the ring and strapping and greeblies attached to the ring in this pic are what I am planning to go for.  The bottom strap is what I was replacing with these.  

008_1.jpg

MWA armor has arrived.  I have mixed emotions upon taking this stuff out of the box.  On the positive side the torso armor seems like it will be very comfortable.  It looks good and feels like it is going to offer me a substantial improvement in the mobility department.  

I am disappointed by the great number of things that I see are going to need to be replaced right out of the box.  This armor is not cheap and it kind of feels like alot of corners have been cut.  The key rings hanging off of it and the shiny string they attach with will have to go along with the cheap clasps at the shoulders and likely the ribbon they attach to.  The rubber straps on the O-ring belt are a no go as well in my book.  The gauntlets and handplates have me doubting that they will hold up over time as well.  

Overall I find myself feeling let down.  This product is raved about by so many folks on here that I was expecting A LOT more.

• Like 1

When I was looking at costumes that interested me, that I could find a supplier for the parts I could not make myself, this was one of the options I had looked at.

Little did I know that so many things from MWA were not accepted by the 501st for this costume, and would have to be changed out.

Now I am really glad I went for my 1st choice, Starkiller hoth.  I got all the hard armor parts also from MWA (I got his very last shoulder armor) and I did the rest myself, but I have to say for my costume, everything was in order, I can't complain, as his work is a lot better than other builders for my costume.

When I was looking at costumes that interested me, that I could find a supplier for the parts I could not make myself, this was one of the options I had looked at.

Little did I know that so many things from MWA were not accepted by the 501st for this costume, and would have to be changed out.

Now I am really glad I went for my 1st choice, Starkiller hoth.  I got all the hard armor parts also from MWA (I got his very last shoulder armor) and I did the rest myself, but I have to say for my costume, everything was in order, I can't complain, as his work is a lot better than other builders for my costume.

Yeah I was expecting to need to make some changes.  Overall though for the price I expected more.  Especially with as highly regarded as this stuff is.

Edited by Teraxis

Personally, I think scratch building is the best way to go. You can really call the armour yours, and the skills you build from it too can help out a lot in future build. That's what I'm learning from my build at least.

Personally, I think scratch building is the best way to go. You can really call the armour yours, and the skills you build from it too can help out a lot in future build. That's what I'm learning from my build at least.

Yeah I can honestly say that I am excited to build this for myself.  Out of all of the costumes I have I always enjoy wearing the ones that I was able to do the most creating on.  I hope to break ground on the armor build this week or next!  I have a bunch of 3mm sintra that I have been using for Mando armor so I am going to see how I like it for this application.  It won't have quite as much flex as the ABS armor but it will have more than the fiberglass armor from V1.0 

Things have been quiet here for a bit longer than planned...  That being said the next few weeks should see V2.0 kicking into full gear.  I decided to pick up a set of armor from Lion's den Studios since i have had some delays on building.  It should arrive in the next week to two weeks!  I plan to begin building my bracers and hand plates this coming week.  My saber should be shipping out any day and I have a meeting with my seamstress (I tried my hand at sewing it did not go well) to discuss changes from V1 to V2.0 that I want to make and take measurements the first week of July.  

Added some pics of my new saber to the saber post!  VV Rev-N Elite is 100% beautiful

My New armor from Lions Den Studios arrived today as well!  I am very excited about getting started with finishing work on it!  I got it in Raw form because I love to paint!   

if you are not familiar with their work they make some great Revan masks as well I have their SWTOR helmet sitting here to work up as an alternate helmet for this costume!.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/lionsdendc?ref=pr_faveshops

20160627_154128.jpg

20160627_163815.jpg

Having owned Revan Armor from MWA, Bigwater99, and now Lions Den Studios I can say that all have pros and cons.

Mwa- is super lightweight and flexible but I was not a fan of the fact that the armor felt like it could break very easily and a lot of the strapping and details seemed to be attached with Hot           glue. I was also not a fan of the rings and clasps being cheap keychan parts that would end up immediately trashed.  IMO for what that armor costs I want a more finished                        product. Very nice guy but the product was not for me.

Bigwater99- Fiberglass armor with great details.  This setup was pretty much ready to go right out of the box.  The details are crisp and the armor is comfortable.  The big drawback to the          fiberglass is it is very rigid.  Bigwater99 made mine custom for me (I was around 280 at the time) it fit great!  and I really liked it.  Then I dropped 40lbs and the armor was simply too          big for me to wear.  My only real con is out of the box the armor had straps that cross in the front and ended up coming out in the middle of the chest which I had to adjust.                        Fantastic product overall I would buy from him again in a heartbeat.  I wanted to try something new with V2.0 that should not be looked at as a knock in any way on this product.

Lions Den Studios-  (please keep in mind this is a fresh out of the box review and may change as I work on the armor.)  This armor is Resin with cold cast and it is slightly lighter than the            fiberglass armor.  I probably will not buff out the cold cast as I like to paint.  The armor details are bold and I really like them.  I think the armor is going to fit well and since it is Resin            some careful heatgun work should allow for some gentle shaping.  The edges are a bit snug on me at 240 but I think with just a tiny bit of shaping it will fir perfect.   This is a great              DIY set of armor it is a raw cast so it will require some cleanup.  and finishing work.  So if you are not crafty this might not be the right choice for you.  I am so I am very excited for              this build.  My 1 big con is at this time it does not come with Bracers or hand plates.  So I will be making my own.

Saber pics added above!  having owned the SF Fallen and the VV Rev-N Elite I can honestly say that the quality level is much higher with the VV well worth the wait!  

An update to my review of the Lion's Den armor the cold cast is actually pretty awesome. I spent an hour or so last night shining it up and it is going to look amazing I think once I paint the bronze color over it the weathering effect will be great!

20160628_221842.jpg

I don't like it so much as you do. There are so much irregularities for me. But I'm a perfectionist. If some things will be corrected it will be a verry nice prop.