• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Legion Membership Officer Introduction

DarthAloha

Aloha Eclipsers,

I apologize for the delay in posting this. Between election madness and then some work related travel I am finally getting a chance to sit down to use a keyboard that does not involve thumbs.

Please allow myself to introduce myself with a form letter going out on all the detachments forums. I am Eric Brager your Legion Membership Officer (LMO) for 2016. If you recognize the name Darth Aloha it is likely due to my involvement with FISD as a two time Detachment Leader (DL). 

The LMO office this year is here to help. We will support the TFE's goals for updating and creating new CRLs. Through your DL we will be an advocate, advisor, and champion. Most of all we will be accessible and approachable. No longer are the LMOs aloof and unreachable.

Last year saw the small but important changes to the Operating Protocols regarding CRLs. Section 7 states a few things that define a new working relationship between the detachments and the LMO. First is that a new costume may not be added to the Legion without completed CRL. Second is that the detachments are responsible for the creation and maintenance of the CRLs not the LMO. We do not make your CRLs. The result of these changes is that base level CRL requirements should not change unless the LMO and the DL are in agreement.  Thirdly and lastly the DL should solicit buy-in from the detachment community regarding changes.

In this new arrangement we have no choice but to work together. With that said every one of the 15 detachments will have an LMO representative assigned to them.

Your LMO rep is (and has been) Michael Capell (CT-3037/ionicdesign) He will be logging into your forums and contributing to your community, if he isn’t already doing so. The LMO office needs to be active in your community. That way we may fully understand each detachment’s vision and needs if we are going to support your CRL needs.

What is the next step in this glorious shiny new hug-fest? I am asking the DL to send their LMO representative (or post up) a list of CRL goals as well as issues, concerns, gripes, problems, woes that we can help with. I will be integrating that list into my ongoing high level goals for 2016 that will be posted publicly on the forums. I encourage any discussion between the dets and the LMO office to occur out in the open on the forums as much as possible. 

If anyone reading this (and hasn’t dozed off) has a question of any kind they are welcome to PM me anywhere or email me. Your DL will be receiving my phone number shortly and is welcome to text or call anytime for any reason.

Let’s get some poodoo done this year.

-Eric

Welcome Eric,

It has been a busy tyme for us in The Flagship Eclipse. But we have been working to help with CRL and costume review. 
What I would like from you is a review and move to change the current operating protocol regarding New to The Legion Costumes;

New to the Legion Costumes
As the Star Wars universe grows, so does the 501st Legion's Costume Reference Library. For a new to the Legion costume to be added to our database, it must meet the following criteria:
  • Be confirmed as acceptable for inclusion in the 501st by the Legion Membership Officer.
  • Have at least one completed costume, approved by the Garrison Membership Liaison, Detachment Leader and Legion Membership Officer.
  • Have a completed CRL entry as described above.

This policy applies to new CRL entries, starting 12 January 2016 1:07pm GMT. Costumes with an incomplete CRL entry that were included in the Costume Reference Library prior to this date require Legion Membership Officer and Detachment Leader review.

As a 501st  Legionnaire since 2002, as a Legion Membership Officer, and as the person who created and the first CRL set, I find this last provision (the requirement to have CRL before accepting an approved costume in the database/allowing thus granting full membership to those who earned it) to be an atrocity. A most poorly considered one at that. I am angry that this was even considered before being rubber stamped into our operational protocol.

I am willing to help process images, review, edit, and even write CRL’s and there are others willing to help with much more. But to make this additional step a requirement is perhaps the most sinister and irresponsible piece of legislation I have ever witnessed in the 501st Legion. I get it, it was discussed. And voted on. By folk that could NEVER POSSIBLY BE AFFECTED by the outcome. Those who could be number less than the number of characters currently in the Legion roster.

I do not discount the work someone puts in to make a kit costume. I respect other costumers who buy their suits whole and complete. There is even something to be said for those who make a costume from scratch with hopes of sharing/selling for profit to others. But folk that make new to the Legion costumes work hard. Damn hard. They should not have to languish waiting for the man power to make a CRL. They may be honoured to participate, but they must not be forced to do so in order to appear on the Legion roster.
12471643_10153934976674623_8930433792202

The Costume Reference Library is a guide. A guide that we review and update to the best of our knowledge. But it is only a guide and will not replace using our heads when reviewing other costumes. It is not right that someone can buy a complete costume and be approved the same day while the person who spends a year or more sculpting, sewing and perfecting a character with little reference and very possibly no practical model should be denied full approval.

Thank you for your consideration,
Thomas Spanos

• Like 2