• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Traya Headdress help

lulitalleah

Hello all, I was just wondering since I'm going to be working with leather, I was just wonder how to tackle Traya's headdress. 

I know I've been hearing things about like a modified balaclava and such but how? I'm fairly new to sewing as well so some tips would be great as well. <3

Hi

This is how mine was done, it´s formed out of leather - though I would recommand a snap closure in the back for easier putting it on. 

You have to make it wet and then shape it over a couple of days to get the right form.

10466820_10152500784064165_1843313112_n.jpg

Hoveddims næsten færdig.jpg

• Like 1

Hi

This is how mine was done, it´s formed out of leather - though I would recommand a snap closure in the back for easier putting it on. 

You have to make it wet and then shape it over a couple of days to get the right form.

Oh okay, I see. Thank you for this

I helped a retired garrison member build one a few years back.  I found the trick was to make something of a T-shaped pattern and glue the ends together with an extra shim of leather to get the curved shape to fit the head.

DSCF1794.jpg

DSCF1792.jpg

Looks great! Hopefully I'll get working on it soon.  

Hi and welcome,

I made a pattern first and then used thick fabric as a mock up, before I cut into my leather. I also used snap clips around the back.

My hair ties where sewn on, after a year I wanted to tidy up the wig, found Velcro worked well, little bit fiddley to sew on, but works really well.

Also after a year fighting with my hood, I placed a black snap clip on the top of my leather head piece well hidden, and hand sewn 2 on my hood, one is so hood sits above eyes or below. Best thing I ever did. The hood is doubled so hand sewing you cannot see.

Test quite a few different types of mediums for your red outline, I used paint...tried fabric, sticker and ribbon....I did a crap job on those.

Good lick

A good "fake" material that you can use to mock up for leather is craft foam. Because it has the thickness that leather can have, I find it really useful for mocking up pieces before cutting into the real leather. Then you can use it to create your patterns for the real leather so you don't have to ruin good leather trying to get it right.

As someone who works with leather, I know how incredibly expensive leather can be, I reccomend doing a pattern as much as you can to get that perfect shape using craft foam.

However for the headpiece itself, i would also recommend trying maybe Cintra or Wonderflex for this. They give a super clean edge which is so nice and in very little work above just needing a blow dryer.