• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

DZ-6489's Starkiller Costume {{{finally finished!!!}}}

Guest DZ-6489

Well, I hate to break it to ya, but I have the XBox 360, and the belts are there. Given the movement and size of the pics from the gameplay itself, I'll defer instead to the turnaround image provided under the extras "artwork view" option. Which is this image from the detatchment's photo gallery (push right 8 times on the X-box 360 to get to the image once you're in the gallery):

http://theflagshipeclipse.com/gallery/d ... fullsize=1

It clearly shows 2 of the three belts in question. The third would be viewable if Lucasarts hadn't decided to stick the extra image on the side, cutting off the final piece of the turn around. Hopefully somebody will be able to get ahold of a full copy of the turn around for posting soon.

Guest Anonymous

Wesley....

Im not trying to be a jerk. But your almost there, who cares if you agree or not, just do it and get it done. Then Starkiller will be approved! :D

[/Rant]

Wow that is amazing work. I knew if anyone was going to get a perfect showpiece Starkiller, you would be one of the first ones. Amazing work man. Amazing.

Good evening,

This discussion is beginning to read as adversarial. Intended or not, I believe the definition of the roles in the process of approving a new character, (and then costumes representing that character) should be listed. In brief;

1. Interested applicant needs to gather all references and create their costume to match.

2. Working from provided resources--and where possible, adding their own--the Detachment Leader makes recommendation on the interpretation.

3. An active Legion Membership Officer should be aware of this activity--maybe preparing their own argument to help the process along.

DL Simpson is unquestionably the best suited member in the Legion for her task. In this case, the finite details of the suit are being determined. DL Simpson has provided a solid reference for her concerns.

Other images may prove to support Wesley's assertions. These need to be presented.

What needs to be determined is the final reference for this character. Native renders of the high definition model for this appearance of the character will be referenced, and compared to the version that made it into the actual game.

The first costumes to represent a new character should be scrutinized deeply. Having it 100% right at the start will be an asset to the Detachment and the Legion at large.

Wesley, please place the images to support your argument. If possible please state the source. If there is a difference we must determine which is the ultimate source for the costume, and if the difference is relevant.

Be well,

Thomas

Guest DZ-6489

The image that everyone seems to think is an accurate depiction of the Starkiller costume is actually located in the "extras" section of the game. Every image in that series of photos seems to be some sort of production design. Could it be possible that the image of Starkiller in that said photo series is not actually the final model used for the game? These are some of the screenshots i was able to find that clearly show there are no long leather straps in the front or back. In my searching I was able to find exactly zero which had the straps mentioned. I did find one spot where the leather strap in the back existed. If you go to the main Force Unleashed site, http://www.lucasarts.com/games/theforceunleashed/ where it says "Unleash the Demo The Force is stronger than ever" and right under where the small clip of gameplay is playing you can clearly see the strap swaying. Again this is the demo section which again makes me beleive these straps didn't make it to the final version of the costume.

sk1-1270x622.png

sk4-1280x800.png

sk22.jpg

sk32.jpg

sk5.jpg

i know this is the heavy training gear, but he wears the basic training gear under it with the exception of the back cloth.

sk6.jpg

sk8.jpg

sk7.jpg

Thank you for posting the images. Now I can see why you've been adament about the lack of belts. I can clearly see the back right belt (though I didn't see it in your costume pictures) , but I'm not certain if I can see the front hanging belt, and I can't see the back left belt piece. I can finally understand your reasoning. Thank you.

Now, I have something of my own to share. Recently I was provided with the original character designer's turnarounds that were created for this costume. I was NOT allowed to share them yet, however. They were provided to help me write the costume standards, but that's it. This belt discussion has been difficult for me not only because I am uncomfortable about disagreeing with fellow costumers, but also because I have been struggling to defend my belief that the hanging belts should be there without being able to say, "But I have seen the turnarounds! I know that they're there!"

The "extras" image on the 360 game IS a piece of the official turnaround. I have just been given permission this morning to share the complete high resolution file, so I posted it to the gallery. It's a great reference, and I'm immensely glad that it has been shared with us.

To see the full-sized image, please click here:

http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/galle ... 1_copy.jpg

normal_apprentice_turnaround1_copy.jpg

Now, perhaps you understand my side of the disagreement, as I see yours. I do understand and agree that the belts are not visible in the game play. But this is something that we have encountered many times in the creation of the EU standards. Since the graphics of game play are not as detailed or often as complete as the creator's original renders, we established a ruling some time ago that the turnarounds would be the "ultimate" source for reference material. Since artists tend to change details as they work, we still turn to the game turnarounds over painted images as well. That is why I have been standing my ground. I'm relieved to be able to share the turnarounds now, so that everyone can see exactly what I have been talking about. For now, my preferece is to continue to follow the LMO's ruling that we should use the turnarounds as the prime standards source, in order to keep this character's standards consistent with the standards that we wrote for the KOTOR characters. I am willing to hear other thoughts, though, and I like to hear what others have to say about it.

Let the discussion continue!

Pam :-)

Guest DZ-6489

I have provided a lot of images without the straps, and so far only one has been shown to have the straps. Im sure we can argue which is more accurate till the end of time, but the fact is the majority of the images don't have them. It seems to me that these details should fall into the "highly recommended, but not required" category if anything. If your willing to have an very specific detail like the design of a characters lightsaber fall into this category, then the three leather straps which appear in only one photo should also.

In looking at the references, the back right belt tail MUST be required, because it IS definitely in the game images. I am willing to consider having the left rear and right front belts be highly recommended because I cannot see them, either, so they may not have made it into the game. The third picture down appears to have the front belt, but that may be the loincloth.

Is the back right tail the one that you have? I cannot see it in your pictures, but I can see a loop of leather that may be the belt tucked upward instead of hanging. (I keep grinning when I talk about the placement of the back belts, because my brain keeps going back to the "where's your cell phone?" discussion in Transformers where the solider keeps screaming "Left cheek! Left cheek!")

Lightsabers we voted to always place in the recommended section because not everyone has access to milling equipment or affordable lightsabers. Eventually we all get the right lightsaber... but it's technically a prop and shouldn't stop people from getting their costume approved.

Guest DZ-6489

mine does have the right side strap, in the photos it may not be visible as it may have either been at a weird angle or tucked up by accident.

here is a photo of the belts from the side i just took. the transformers pj's...not cannon (its my day off)

belts.jpg

You guys almost got me in trouble. I don't think Darth Teacher is supposed to bust up laughing in front of the kids when she glances at her computer during science class!

That was good... and there's the hanging belt piece!

Guest DZ-6489
That's an incredible job, Mr. Peck! I hope to get to discuss construction techniques with you some day. Maybe CV?

Very well done.

~ Bill C.

Thanks a lot!!!

I would love to discuss construction tech with you sometime. It would also be great to get a photo shoot of Kota and Starkiller. I will definitely be a CV (crossing my fingers for east coast) with that Starkiller and the heavy training gear im currently working on.

Guest Anonymous

Wow. Amazing work. I'm putting together a Starkiller costume myself and now I see I really have my work cut out. :D You've certainly set the bar very high and I hope my costume looks half as good as yours.

Guest Daritha
the transformers pj's...not cannon (its my day off)

The should be put in canon. Would be better pants for Cade Skywalker than the old Darth Vader pants he wore (I mean: they should be 150 years old by that time ... urgh).

You guys almost got me in trouble. I don't think Darth Teacher is supposed to bust up laughing in front of the kids when she glances at her computer during science class!

You remember me a lot of some of my old teachers in Germany, Lady. :lol: ... BTW: Do you ever come up with the idea of makin a "real" Darth Teacher? Perhaps a female Darth Maul (or better Darth Talon, lesser clothes to make for the female and much better for us males ^^) with a science book and a "chalk-saber"? ;)

Wow. Amazing work. I'm putting together a Starkiller costume myself and now I see I really have my work cut out. :D You've certainly set the bar very high and I hope my costume looks half as good as yours.
I totally agree with Havoc. Great job and curse you for doing so good! No, really, excellent work.

Here's an update for the folks who have been following this discussion:

Recently I sent a PM to the LMO and asked him for a "from the top" decision on the belt discussion. I've just gotten so tired and frustrated with the endless Starkiller costume issues, I'd rather have an official ruling to set the standard and be done with it all. So, here's what I told Thomas in my PM:

Here's what I have to go on:

The turnarounds clearly show 3 hanging belt straps, two in back and one in the front.

http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/galle ... 1_copy.jpg

In the screen shots of the game that people have posted, only one of those belt straps is clearly visible. Half of another is there, but the end of it disappears beneath the other belts instead of hanging down over the thigh.

Soo....

Do we make all 3 required, since they're in the "official reference" turnaround?

Or do we make the 1.5 straps that are visible in game play required, and then call the other 1.5 straps visible in the turnaround optional?

Thomas and I spoke about it again last night, and he informed me that the second option is what the official ruling shall be. Only the straps that made it into the game will be required. These are the long strap on the back right side, and the fraction of a strap (that disappears under the others) on the front left. Those straps from the turnarounds that didn't make it into the game will be recommended, but not required.

The costume portrayed in this thread DOES have those required belt straps. There is one in the front, disappearing under the other belts as it is supposed to, and there is one in the back. That long back strap wasn't visible in the first round of pictures, but it is there. (I still like the jammies picture best. It brought a bit of fun back into this costume discussion for me.)

So... as of yesterday, I do believe that Starkiller's tattered up training gear is now an approved 501st costume!

Guest Daritha

[...]

So... as of yesterday, I do believe that Starkiller's tattered up training gear is now an approved 501st costume!

"Turk, it finally happened!" (

)... really fantastic! Starkiller is a worthy 501st-costume character. I'm glad he made it ... I'm also glad that you, Pam, are now done with this at-the-end-penpushing discussion (or so it seems to me).

Congrat to all of you. :D

W00tz0rz!!!!!! Much grats!! Both Gothiclysm & I were simply amazed at the last photos you posted....looks friggin' awesome....glad to see things pan out. So I was curious and decided to snoop on your profile.....awesome...

sl6489_full.jpg

EDIT: Madames DL/DXO - as this is now approved, shouldn't we move the starkiller thread to the approved section????

Guest Anonymous

Congratulations! It's wonderful that this character has been officially welcomed into the 501st fold and that we have such an excellent representation of the costume. Well done!!

EDIT: Madames DL/DXO - as this is now approved, shouldn't we move the starkiller thread to the approved section????

LOL, I believe Madame DL has taken care of it. :lol:

Guest Anonymous

Wesley, your's was one of the happiest "approvals" I've had the pleasure of making, so far!!! :wink::twisted::twisted::twisted:8)

You've done some amazing work with this outfit & it shows. :wink:

And from one "first" to another, Congratulations!!! :wink::twisted:8)

Guest DZ-6489
Wesley, your's was one of the happiest "approvals" I've had the pleasure of making, so far!!! :wink::twisted::twisted::twisted:8)

You've done some amazing work with this outfit & it shows. :wink:

And from one "first" to another, Congratulations!!! :wink::twisted:8)

Thanks a lot!!!