• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

DZ-6489's Starkiller Costume {{{finally finished!!!}}}

Guest DZ-6489

Guest DZ-6489

This is my Starkiller costume I debuted at the Steel City Con in Pittsburgh, PA in October.

I have a few things to adjust, like making the pants and wraps darker.

mestarkiller.jpg

profilestarkiller.jpg

starkillerback.jpg

And the saber

starkillersabermain-600x358.jpg

starkillersaber6.jpg

starkillersaber5.jpg

starkillersaber4.jpg

I have not weighed in on individual costumes for this character yet.

Nonetheless, your fabric treatment and detailing has drawn me out.

Whereas I am not versed well enough in this version of code name Starkiller's to present a full critique, I am impressed with what you have assembled.

Kudos to you,

Thomas

Guest Anonymous

It looks alright, but it looks more like the Soul Caliber version than the force unleashed one. ALL the colors should be much darker, especially the belts.

Guest DZ-6489

Here is the adjusted Starkiller costume.

I dyed the pants, belts, wraps, and loin cloth darker.

I also added a lot more weathering to the entire thing.

starkillerfinal.jpg

As soon as the weather is nice im going to take some photos outside so more of the detail shows.

cheers~

Guest Anonymous

1.) the shirt is a tunic that wraps under the right arm, not a sweat shirt

2.) You gauntlet has no display on it

3.) the top and 3rd from the top belts are wider than all the belts except the 3" belt

Guest DZ-6489
1.) the shirt is a tunic that wraps under the right arm, not a sweat shirt

2.) You gauntlet has no display on it

3.) the top and 3rd from the top belts are wider than all the belts except the 3" belt

The tunic is NOT a sweatshirt. I just have to make the time to sew one up from scratch. The gauntlet was made months ago before any really good images of it could be found. The only parts of this costume that were bought were the shirt, pants, and boots. I did my own machining, sewing, fiberglass work, leatherwork, and painting. I think a few small details can be overlooked. For those of you that had good things to say I REALLY appreciate it.

As for you Dark Jedi, for some reason you choose to nitpick my hard work. If you want or have any animosity towards me for some reason thats fine. Just keep your comments to yourself.

If you really want to get into a nitpick war over costume accuracy perhaps I should voice myself over on you costumes post...

cheers~

I appreciate that this thread was brought to the forum, and I have been following your progress with great interest. I enjoy watching others learn about the details of costumes and upgrading piece by piece, the same way that I make all of mine. I'm especially impressed by (and extremely jealous of) the saber... wish I could machine something like that! I'm looking forward to seeing more progress as you work on your Starkiller, and perhaps adding another designation to your TK ID... I think you're heading toward a top-notch costume!

Wayne, he's right. If you cannot balance criticism with a kind word every now and then, you need to stay off the thread. Your comments are becoming hurtful, and I won't have that on this forum. But at the same time, Wesley, turnabout isn't fair play here. Please don't resort to that and bring the tone of the forum down any further. (Oh, yeah... and I finally got you added to the forum's 501st member's usergroup. Welcome aboard!)

Pam :-)

...I think a few small details can be overlooked. For those of you that had good things to say I REALLY appreciate it...

The choice to overlook details is entirely up to the costume creator.

Entirely.

The acceptable way to point out the details is entirely up to the forum moderators. :wink:

One of the things I have always enjoyed and appreciated about the Flagship Eclipse is the community's overwhelming propensity toward focusing on the details of the costumes without meaning anything (or taking anything) personally. That quality sets it apart from most of the other costuming sites.

Every one of you in here are off-the-scale detail oriented and accurate. You are all at the top end of the craft. To reproduce such things as you do from scratch is a marvelous and praiseworthy endeavor. You should all be very proud of that.

I can speak only for myself, but having you all as critics on the details and accuracies/inaccuracies of my work is both welcomed and appreciated. Extra sets of professional eyes can only lead to a better end-product. I myself am well aware of several inaccurate details on my latest project, but sometimes generating the means and motivation to make accuracy adjustments is more difficult than knowing what needs adjusting. :P

This is a great community, guys. I don't think anybody means anything personal. We speak to the costumes, not to the costumers.

~ Bill Costigan

Guest DZ-6489

I finally got around to finishing my Starkiller.

These are some of the final adjustments i made:

Extended the shoulder armor in the front

New tunic which wraps around

Adjusted some of the belts sizes

Added leather accent pieces to the belts

Made a new gauntlet with illuminated display.

A quick note on the gauntlet: i noticed that in the game the display flickers on and off like it has a short circuit. I was actually able to replicate this with the circuit board from a Glade flameless candle.

Made new front and back loin cloth thats made of a more sheer material

More overall weathering

Sewn up slash on the right thigh of the pants

Modded my boots with leather strap going down the back and extended the top to stick out of the wraps

Blood stain on back

2 leather pieces holding the armor together in the back

Added scoring lines on the leather straps holding the shoulder armor on

(similar to the scoring lines on the 2 belts)

frontbladeA.jpg

action1A.jpg

action2-529x1303.jpg

backsaberA-613x1306.jpg

front1A-684x1306.jpg

side1A-598x1304.jpg

side2A-626x1303.jpg

backA-692x1302.jpg

frontbeltsA.jpg

backbeltsA.jpg

gauntletA-397x604.jpg

Big thanks to Marty Miller of Carida for taking such great photos for me

Hopefully this is enough to finally get Starkiller approved.

Oh..... my..... goodness...... wow.

You know, for somebody who spoke against details, you did a darned good job of recreating them! I am truly impressed. You did a fantastic job with your costume upgrades, and I especially like the clever way that you made your gauntlet flicker.

The only thing I see missing are the belt straps that hang down nearly to the knees in the front and back. Here are the details for them:

* Belt Two is second from the top. This belt is approximately 4 cm in width. It has thin lines etched into the top and bottom edges of the belt. It has a side release buckle on the front right side, with a tail piece hanging from the buckle that is approximately 15 cm long. This tail goes over belt two, and then tucks under the rest of the belts. There is a metallic silver slide clasp on the back left side of belt two, and a tail hangs from this clasp which goes over belt two and then under the rest of the belts. This tail hangs nearly to the back of the knee.

* Belt Three is third from the top. This belt is approximately 5 cm in width. It has a side release buckle at the center back. A tail hangs from the right side of the buckle and hangs down to mid-thigh. A silver d-ring is riveted to the bottom edge of belt three. Located at the front left side, the d-ring is attached with two dark brown rivets which are visible on the outside of the belt. A metallic silver hook designed for holding lightsabers with d-rings is also riveted on the left side of buckle three.

* Belt Five is at the bottom. This belt is approximately 4 cm in width. It has a side release buckle located to the right of front center. A tail piece hangs from the right side of the buckle, reaching nearly to the knee. A second side release buckle is located on the back right side. This buckle has a shorter tail piece hanging on the left side which is approximately 9 cm long. A thin strap of leather is used to attach a silver d-ring to the top left side of the belt.

DSCN4486.jpg

I'm grinning like a fool, I'm so pleased with this costume work. Absolutely fantastic job.... you are almost perfectly there!

Good evening,

In a few weeks, I hope to review this character for membership in the 501st. I believe your costume, will make an excellent argument for inclusion--that is if you seek to have your costume approved in the 501st.

I would like to reopen discussion on the creation of a Dark Side Adept category.

Maris Brood, Mara Jade, Visas Mar, Night Sisters, and The Secret Apprentice are not Sith Lords. If appointed as Legion Membership Officer, I intend to argue for the creation a new category that better describes these characters, as was done with TC (Trooper Clone) designations.

I would be interested in your thoughts on this.

Be well,

Thomas

Guest DZ-6489

Pam,

some of the elements of the costume don't seem to be very consistent. One of those details is the leather straps which hang down in the front and back. Most of the images i have seen do not have those details. I opted not to include them as they inhibited the loin cloths flow and movement.

Thomas,

My main goal in this project was to get it 501st approved, so I still hope that happens.

As for the Dark Side Adept category, thats a great idea. I actually brought up that argument to my GML stating that there are a lot of characters classified as Sith Lords when they should be Sith Apprentice/Dark Side Adept.

Guest Anonymous
I would like to reopen discussion on the creation of a Dark Side Adept category.

Maris Brood, Mara Jade, Visas Mar, Night Sisters, and The Secret Apprentice are not Sith Lords. If appointed as Legion Membership Officer, I intend to argue for the creation a new category that better describes these characters, as was done with TC (Trooper Clone) designations.

I would be interested in your thoughts on this.

This conversation has gone on periodically here: http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forum ... sc&start=0

If people would like to add comments, or read through what has already been said on this topic, please visit the above thread! Thanks. :D

Hi,

I understand that the hanging belt ends are not visible in every image. In some cases I believe that they are hidden by the swaying of the loincloth or the angle he's standing at, and in other cases the images are artwork where the artist missed adding that detail. It happens a lot with EU artwork. However, the hanging straps ARE visible in the game's turnarounds, which is what we always base EU game character standards on. Using the game turnarounds as the "official" standards reference is an LMO ruling that has been in effect for the last two years.

Think of it this way: if a Boba Fett costumer decided that he didn't want Wookie braids hanging from his shoulder, we would still tell him that they are required and wouldn't approve his costume without them, no matter how good the rest of his costume looked. I believe that we should hold the EU costumes to that same high standard. It's not difficult to add a few hanging belt ends.... you can add them easily before getting your costume approved. And, if you don't want them to be there all of the time, there's always the option of making them removable instead of permanent. Attach them with a bit of industrial strength velcro, and you're good to go!

Honestly, I'm not trying to shoot you down or give you a hard time. You really do have a fantastic costume, and I'm truly impressed. I'm even more impressed by the fact that you did this work yourself instead of hiring it out. Three hanging belt ends is the last detail that I would ask for on your costume. It's the only thing that truly needs to be there. I wish I'd seen that they were missing earlier, so that I could have let you know before you took the time to set up a photoshoot, but we take what we are given. Three straps, and then I'll be calling your costume our "showpiece" Starkiller and cheering on the approval of this costume to the legion.

Guest DZ-6489
Hi,

I understand that the hanging belt ends are not visible in every image. In some cases I believe that they are hidden by the swaying of the loincloth or the angle he's standing at, and in other cases the images are artwork where the artist missed adding that detail. It happens a lot with EU artwork. However, the hanging straps ARE visible in the game's turnarounds, which is what we always base EU game character standards on. Using the game turnarounds as the "official" standards reference is an LMO ruling that has been in effect for the last two years.

Think of it this way: if a Boba Fett costumer decided that he didn't want Wookie braids hanging from his shoulder, we would still tell him that they are required and wouldn't approve his costume without them, no matter how good the rest of his costume looked. I believe that we should hold the EU costumes to that same high standard. It's not difficult to add a few hanging belt ends.... you can add them easily before getting your costume approved. And, if you don't want them to be there all of the time, there's always the option of making them removable instead of permanent. Attach them with a bit of industrial strength velcro, and you're good to go!

Honestly, I'm not trying to shoot you down or give you a hard time. You really do have a fantastic costume, and I'm truly impressed. I'm even more impressed by the fact that you did this work yourself instead of hiring it out. Three hanging belt ends is the last detail that I would ask for on your costume. It's the only thing that truly needs to be there. I wish I'd seen that they were missing earlier, so that I could have let you know before you took the time to set up a photoshoot, but we take what we are given. Three straps, and then I'll be calling your costume our "showpiece" Starkiller and cheering on the approval of this costume to the legion.

Im going to have to contest these details. Im not sure what version of the game your getting your screen caps from, but I have the Xbox 360 version of the Force Unleashed and the hanging straps are clearly not there. The only hanging strap is on the right side, which is actually the extension of the leather piece that goes over the widest belt and tucks under the last belt. My costume has this detail although it may have accidentally been folded up and not fully visible.