• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Starkiller: Dark Lord's Armor (hoth)

Yankee71

Thanks, yeah its a slippery slope lol.

I am just using the CRL as a minimum requirement, and a starting point, and I will expand my interpretation from there.

Aye sir thats just a fabulous idea, but I am someone who fully agrees with you, i ran into the same issues with my build, as i love helping with CRLS i did all i could to make the changes :D The CRLS are growing resources and constantly changing, so its sad when one or two do get ignored due to people not making the costume :) We need all the help we can get to keep them correct and updated! thank you for what youve found/done thus far and keep up the great work!

2 points to be made about this screenshot:

(Would love some support here, as once I make a decision, it will be quite hard to go in another direction!!!)

1. the skirt appears to be in 3 parts, not 4.

2.  The 1/2 Darth Maul Saber in the screenshot is larger than the Darth Vader Saber.

(1/2 of Darth Maul saber is actually shorter than Darth Vader's Saber, as I have the full Maul and Vader saber sitting in front of me now)

To make it look right I will have to use about 80% of the Maul Saber, not half!!!

If not the Maul saber will be quite smaller than the Vader saber, so not accurate to the screen shot.

The CRL has level 1 certification pic (with the Maul saber being shorter than the Vader Saber), but not a level 2 Certification pic.  So for level 1, I guess anything goes???

Not to mention the CRL Pic has the lightsaber emitters facing right, where as in this screenshot the emitters are facing left!!! 

TELAS%20STARKILLER.jpg

On both points, I could not agree more. Thank you so much for documenting this, i am going to note it down in my changes list. (Might be begging you for a photo of that skirt at some point to get the CRL updated) If you would be willing to provide.

I need to go pop up a video of this beauty (or pop in the game again) I bought it on my comp specifically for looking at his costumes! :)

Edited by Amidala

Well let me take a step back, to explain myself, as I am afraid people will get the wrong opinion of me and my intent.

I am not trying to rock the boat, just to rock the boat.  I am not trying to say anything bad about other versions of this costume that have already been made, or that are seen in the CRL.

I am new to the 501st, and this will be my very 1st costume, so I am trying to make it as accurate as possible.

For the Boots, I just went with what was in the CRL, and my boots are done, so I don't plan on changing them.

In all the advertisement pics of this costume on the cover of the game box, Starkiller has all 6 lightsabers hanging vertically down individually, it is only in game that you see Mauls and Vader's light sabers connected together and hanging horizontal on his back side.  So My take on this, is you can use either method, so all six down or four down and two up.

(I tried to add a pic, but I guess it was too large, as it was not allowed) 

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/b/be/SithStalkerArmor-TFUUSE.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090730044105

I also noticed that in the CRL, a bunch of items of this costume are not even listed:

Belt buckle (with switches and control levers),

Codpiece (that hangs under the belt buckle),

Claws (how long, the look, the coloring, on which finger and on which parts of the fingers),

Gloves (Leather, 3 thicker sections of the arm, coloring, 3 leather bands around the thicker parts of the glove, where the cables should be connected),

Right arm cables (What is the look/color, are they clear or metallic, how they are fixed to the suit and glove),

Pony tail (How long, color, look),

Armored Neck Piece (Neck Sleeve).

If you removed all the items from this costume, that are not listed in the minimum requirements in the CRL, this costume would look really empty and incomplete.

In this pic, it appears that he is not even wearing a skirt, also notice how long his claws are, compared to other pics where they are shorter:

http://img06.deviantart.net/3b99/i/2014/244/e/6/dark_lord_s_armor_2_by_jckspacy-d7xig54.png

These are all crossroads I am coming to when trying to decide what path to take in my interpretation of making this costume.

Since very few people in the 501st even have this costume, I would say just leave the CRL the way it is, as I could very well be the last person who even makes this costume.

Just as a note to the people who will then have to approve or disapprove this costume, there are many different looks to this costume, so there is not just one right look for this costume, depending on what your source material was.

Let me get my costume finished and approved, then you can have any pics you want lol.

Ohh this is fantastic thank you so much for your input!

No no sir! the point of a CRL is to update it as needed. when better information comes out or new things are discovered we update. its wonderful! They are working pieces of reference for us to go from. :) No rocking the boat and no one that I have ever met had been insulted by such. Its great to see someone dedicating time to such things and such perfection. (Not to say that others havent) however reinventing the wheel sometimes yeilds better results :)

Edited by Amidala

So my gloves came back from the leather worker today, and I was really happy with what they did.  I discovered one small problem once I got them home though, the rings in the bands are about 1mm too small for what I was planing to do with the cables that connect with the gloves.  So tomorrow I am taking the 2 arm bands with the rings in them, with the right size rings, and get them to swap it out real quick, and then it will work as I had planned.

gloves%20top.jpg

gloves%20bottum.jpg

This is the Type of cable and connectors I was planning on using.

armcable.jpg

I noticed in the CRL, the cables to the right arm are not listed or described in the requirements for this costume (Neither are the Gauntlet Gloves seen above).  I went with a silver cable, covered in a clear plastic sleeve, as the exact type of cable used I can not make out from all my research looking at pics.  The complete costume in the CRL shows the cables really long in a wide arc away from the arm.  Tactically and logically, that just seems like a bad idea, as they would be easier to cut or be caught on something  The reference photos I am using shows the cables all closer to the arm, and not sticking out in the air in such a wide arc.  I can not find game advertisement pics or in game screenshots that supports the cables so long, in a wide arc away from the arm, as seen in the CRL for the complete costume.  

If I am mistaken in my research, please correct me if I am wrong, before I make any more cables, that would be the wrong length?

CRL:

http://databank.501st.com/mw501/images/b/b1/Starkiller_Hoth.jpg

My Reference pics:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/b/b8/GalenStalkerArmor-TFUUSE.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090824182222

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/b/be/SithStalkerArmor-TFUUSE.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090730044105

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/b/b1/Starkiller_Hoth.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090824174849

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/7/70801/2705007-star_wars_the_force_unleashed___starkiller__sith__by_mrgameboy2011_d4xi7vg.png

http://s758.photobucket.com/user/ShadowAngel1992/media/transparent_starkiller.png.html

http://orig06.deviantart.net/9938/f/2009/313/9/0/starkiller_lord_of_the_sith_by_agentqv.jpg

http://s4.photobucket.com/user/silversorrow/media/zzSWTFU-9001.jpg.html

http://img06.deviantart.net/3b99/i/2014/244/e/6/dark_lord_s_armor_2_by_jckspacy-d7xig54.png

Just for your information, my intent is to have this costume finished by the end of the month (well by April 3rd). I am taking a week off from work, so I can focus on this costume and get it finished. 
If every thing I am waiting on to be delivered, shows up at the expected time, then I will have the rest of the costume finished as well.

Waiting for Delivery on:
Helmet w/ Ponytail
Undersuit (shirt and pants)
Upper armor
Belt, Belt Buckle, Cod Piece
Skirt
Lightsaber (Lights and sound)
Red Day Blade

I still need to finish:
Back Plate for the Vest
Snap connectors built onto the lightsabers
Ring Claws

Has arrived in Germany, should be delivered tomorrow or Monday

Helmet w/ Ponytail
Undersuit (shirt and pants)
Upper armor
Belt, Belt Buckle, Cod Piece
Skirt

Lightsaber Red Day Blade

Still waiting on

Main Lightsaber to be shipped

This is the back of the Vest (As per minimum requirements).

vestbacknaked.jpg

This is the back of the vest, with a back plate, that more or less is the closing of the vest that looks like a corset.

vestcomplete.jpg

and again zoomed in.

vestzoom.jpg

Trophy Hilts: (lvl 1 Certification for now)

Left Leg:

leftleg.jpg

Back side:

I went with the "in game" setup, as opposed to the "game advertisement" setup.  

If I remove 1 screw and the chain, I can switch it to the other version pretty easy, why I put snap clips on both the pommel ends.

Yes I know there is more than 1/2 of Darth Maul, but I cant get it to be larger than Darth Vader's any other way. (as it looks in game) 

backside.jpg

Right Leg:

I am still looking for clarification on the trophy hilts, as I believe there are only 5 trophy hilts, plus the one he uses in combat.

If only 5 trophy hilts are required, I will be removing the one on the left in this pic.

rightleg.jpg

WOW! This looks FANTASTIC. I love the weathering and detailing that you are putting into this build. Its that little extra steps that is going to make your costume look so complete. There are so many fine details in this costume, i cant wait to see it on you! I wish you could do a test shot in it! :D

Edited by Amidala
  • Like 1

Only thing I have left to finish are the claws, everything else is done.

Lightsaber is scheduled to be delivered Next Tuesday.  I want to add a leather wrap to the handle, like it should be. 

I got an email that my Red Day Blade was damaged in transport, so I am still waiting to hear what is its status.

Claws should be 100% by Tuesday or Wednesday.

I hope to take pictures to send in to those who need to judge my costume by Friday if all goes as planned.

I still need to find where I need to send the pictures lol

After lots of research, and struggling to make this costume as real as possible, I would just like to suggest some additions and/or changes to the CRL for this costume! 

(In Addition to the things I already suggested on page 2 of this post)

Helmet:
- Red tinted eye lens
( I would remove the word "Red", as in no picture are his eye lens red, it is always dark, if not black. -Tinted eye lens would suffice)

Vest:

(I would add that the vest is made out of 5 strips of leather, as that is the way it looks) The CRL Pic shows a Vest with 7 strips!