• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Starkiller: Dark Lord's Armor (hoth)

Yankee71

Getting real close to the finish line now.

Just put the 2nd coat of paint on the claws, Lightsaber is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

Ofc today I also burned out the motor on my drill and dremel, so its not all great.   :0

Added some Velcro here and there that I had been putting off, so now its just down to about 7 more coats of paint and the light saber showing up tomorrow, and then I should be ready to take some finish line photos!

I hope everything I have done is good enough for the 501st?  I am totally new to making costumes, and also totally new to the 501st, so I have nothing to gauge what people will say about my costume?  Well once I send in photos, I guess I will find out lol.

My Lightsaber has finally arrived, and the company also had a Raffle, and I won a 2nd saber as well.

Now Just a few more coats of paint on the claws, and I will be done.

sabers.jpg

saberslit.jpg

Lesson learned painting the claws, I went 3 coats metallic (too sparkly), then 3 coats chrome (looked more like I wanted), then put 1 coat clear lack, and the chrome turned into gray mushroom soup color.  So waiting for that to dry, so I can start again with the Chrome lol.

Can i just say that helmet.... stunning! 

Cant wait to see more! All of these parts are just fantastic! 

Last package arrived today after being stuck in customs for 6 days, and being marked "Damaged".

Post office delivered it today with the story that it got caught in one of the sorting machines, looked like a tank ran over it a few times.

Then the kicker, I had to pay the custom charges, before I could see if the Day Blade was destroyed or not.

Customs tape wrapped all over the box and all over the Day blade inside, once I removed all the Customs tape, I could not find a scratch anywhere on it.

So perfect condition, even with the box looking like it went through a meat grinder.

saberday.jpg

day.jpg

In preparation for my costume submission, I am going to go piece by piece through the costume.  

When different than the CRL, I will show 3 pics: Reference, CRL, My Items.

When it is similar as the CRL, I will show 2 pics: CRL, My Items.

When they are exactly the same, I will not show any pics.

I will also try and give a description, or correct differences, where possible.

Helmet: CRL and mine are exactally the same, purchaced by MyWickedArmor.com (No Pic needed CRL is perfect)

CRL Description:  -Red tinted eye lens

CRL Description Correction Suggestion:  -Dark tinted eye lens

helm2.jpg

Padawan Braid (Hair Braid)

Not listed in the CRL as an Item of the costume (only seen in full body picture in CRL)

Possible Description:  - Blonde hair, Roughly 30 in (76 cm) long, separated by 5 sections of black tubing.

padawanhair.jpg

Neck Sleeve or Balaclava: 

Not listed as an item in the CRL

I will be wearing a Black Balaclava with my costume.

I cannot tell what, if anything the full body pic in the CRL is wearing.

Possible description:  Neck Sleeve or Balaclava is worn, no skin visible in the neck area.

Spine Armor:

Not listed in the CRL

Would not fit with the CRL current Upper armor shown.

I plan to do this with my costume in the future.

Suggestion:  Maybe this should be a Level 3 Certification for the Upper Armor?

Possible Description:  -Narrow metal plate armor, covering the lower neck and upper back area of the spine, situated between the collar pieces.

-Rectangular in shape, consisting of 2 rows, of 5 square boxes.

spinearmor.jpg

Gauntlet Gloves:

Not listed as an item in the CRL.

Seen only as part of the Under Suit or in the full body view.

No description in the CRL

Possible Description:  

-Black Gloves in a length that reaches 2/3 the way up the lower arm.

-Gloves are made out of Black Leather (or leather-like material).

-The arm of the glove has 3 thicker padded sections, each separated by stitching

-Each padded area is covered by a leather band, ending with a snap/button with an open space between the snap/buttons.

-The open space between the snaps, faces the out side of the body.

glovescrl.jpg

Right Arm Cables / Right Gauntlet Glove:

Not listed in the CRL as an Item

Seen only in the Undersuit and full body pics in the CRL

No description in the CRL 

I cannot tell the actual color of the cables, sometimes they appear Clear, Silver, or Black, depending on the reference pic.

Possible Description:

- 3 cables (or thin hoses) are mounted on the right arm.

- Color of the cables can be Clear, Silver, or Black.

- Cables run close along the arm.

- Mounting points on the Right Glove: Top of the Wrist between the 1st pair of snaps

Bottom of the 1st leather band are 2 points (inner and outer)

Bottom of the 2nd leather band is 1 point

- Mounting points on the Right Arm: 1 point just above and just below the elbow, on the inside of the arm.

- Cables run:  1st: Runs from the top of the wrist to the outer point on the 1st leather band.

2nd: Runs from the 1st leather band inner point to the point just under the elbow.

3rd: Runs from the 2nd leather band to the point just above the elbow.

cablecrl.jpg

Claws:

Not listed in the CRL as an item.

Seen only in the CRL in the Full body pics.

No description in the CRL.

The reference pics are longer than those seen in the CRL.

Possible Description:

- 8 Claws, metallic in color,

- Worn on all fingers and thumbs, except for the ring fingers.

- Index finger and middle finger claws are longer than those of the thumb and little finger claws.

clawscrl.jpg

Belt Buckle and Codpiece:

Not listed as an Item in the CRL.

Seen only in the Full body pic in the CRL.

Possible Description:

- Metallic Belt buckle with 3 red switches and 3 gray levers.

-Codpiece is made of rectangular leather (or leather-like material) with a Rectangular indent that hangs below the Belt Buckle.

BandCcrl.jpg

Trophy Hilts:

Level 1 Cert:

CRL has a very Vague description.

No number of sabers to be worn.

No Type of sabers to be worn.

I took this to mean any 5-6 saber hilts as trophy's would qualify for Level 1 Cert.

In the Reference pics you only ever see 5 Trophy Hilts.

Always the same 5 hilts, just sometimes those on his right leg and back side are in a different order.

His left leg is always the same 2 hilts.

Sometimes his combat saber is in his hand, sometimes it is hanging off his belt in front of his right leg.

In the top reference pic all the Trophy hilts are hanging down off of snap links. Vader and Mauls sabers in front of his right leg.

In the middle Reference pic there is no hilt in front of his right leg,  The sabers appear to be hanging off of Covertec wheels, not links.

In the Bottom Reference pic Darth Maul and Darth Vader sabers are hanging laterally on his back side, with the emitters facing left, the rest appear to be using covertec wheels..

The CRL Limits us to mounting the lightsabers with "Metal snap links",

I would argue Covertec Wheels were also an option.  

Most pics look like covertec Wheels are being used, with only a few Pics showing the "Metal snap links".

The CRL also shows the Vader Maul emitters facing right, not left.

I would suggest 2 different options for hanging the sabers, and several different orders.

Level 2 Cert:

The CRL has 6 specific sabers listed.

I know that he fights Shaak Ti in the game.

I can find no reference pic anywhere showing Shaak Ti hilt hanging off his belt.

I would suggest that the are only 5 Trophy hilts, plus his combat hilt he sometimes wears on his belt, not 6 trophy hilts plus his combat saber.

I would suggest removing the Shaak Ti hilt from the Level 2 Cert, unless someone can find a reference to it somewhere, because I cant.

I am going for Level 1 Cert at this time.

I have 6 random sabers, even though I believe the number to only be 5.

I also have his combat saber. I planned on hanging off my right leg, with a covertec wheel, when it is not in my hand.

I will be going for the Level 2 Cert in the near future.

I would rather not have to make the Shaak Ti Hilt, if it is not actually part of the costume.

If it is part of the costume, then I have no problem making it.

trophycrl.jpg

Lightsaber:

No description whatsoever besides a pic.

Possible Description:

- 3 long spikes at emitter end.

- 3 cutouts in the emitter, between the spikes, showing black and silver stripes.

- Black saber body with 7 silver rings.

- Silver Pommel.

- Lightsaber is usually held backwards in his right hand.

- When saber is not in his hand, it is hanging in front of his right leg on a covertec wheel.

- A leather (or leather like) wrap can be put around the area where he holds the saber.

- If a Blade is used, it is always Red.

sabercrl.jpg

Claws:

Not listed in the CRL as an item.

Seen only in the CRL in the Full body pics.

The reference pics are longer than those seen in the CRL.

Possible Description:

- 8 Claws, metallic in color,

- Worn on all fingers and thumbs, except for the ring fingers.

- Index finger and middle finger claws are longer than those of the thumb and little finger claws.

clawscrl.jpg

Your claws look way longer in the back than the reference pics. If you look at the reference they seem to be rings around the middle knuckle but do not go back much more than finger length. They definitely do not go back nearly to the wrist.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Edited by darthcashman