• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Dark Jedi's Starkiller

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

The list of problems:

1) the belts suck and I couldn't sit down with them on

2) I have no pockets

3) I think Im too fat for the costume

If the wraps are falling off, that is probably a sign you are not using enough fabric. The strips need to be LOOOOOOOOONG so you can go around and overlap a few times. I wouldnt sew them on because one of two things will happen. Either you wont be able to get the shirt off, or the wraps will appear really loose and bad.

On a diffrent note now that halloween is over and someone else has dashed my hopes of setting the standards for this character, I've come to the realization that any corse of action I take with this character will make most of my current suit worthless to me. The belts and wraps are not worth my time shipping, but if you are interested in the shoulder armor drop me a offer.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

I'll be willing to take the shoulder armor off your hands, would you mind PM-ing me what you're thinking in terms of price?

- Fitz

Guest Anonymous

I don't think you should quit your costume, just because someone else made it. Fabric is cheap, so you can make your wraps longer and the belts you can replace whenever... in a costumer's world the costume is never done.

Guest Anonymous

I wont be able to work on anything until Jan if I am lucky (job, finals, hoping for income, etc) so dont expect any major updates anytime soon.

However, if some one know how i can get in contact with MachineFX besides email, I would appreciate it. I have been trying to figure out where my new saber is and he has not been responding to my emails.

-DJ

Guest Anonymous

Things seem to be going from bad to worse right now in my life, so once again I am forced to part with my creations. As I mentioned before I am looking to sell mu shoulder armor, but due to my need for cash I am willing to part with my gauntlet as well. Both are made of fiberglass and the gauntlet is powered by a 9v battery and does have a bottom half (not shown). Send me offers if interested.

DSCN4609.jpg

Guest Anonymous

As you may have seen in another thread, my Machinedfx saber finally came in. I will share some pics to vouch that he does make a good saber and show the moderators what a real version of the saber looks like.

DSCN4745.jpg

DSCN4746.jpg

DSCN4747.jpg

DSCN4748.jpg

DSCN4749.jpg

DSCN4750.jpg

DSCN4751.jpg

DSCN4752.jpg

DSCN4753.jpg

I will be sending Machinedfx an appology and asking about the electronics needed to make the saber blue for future costumes

That's a beautiful saber. Are the darker parts copper?

I probably would have put the covertec button on a side where the rabbit ears wouldn't be banging against Starkiller's leg. :P Can the handle section be rotated, or is the positioning fixed in one place?

On/off switch in the covertec ... brilliant.

Steve did a great job on that. I might have to order one myself. About how long did yours take to arrive, may I ask?

~ Bill C.

Guest Anonymous

The handel can be rotated, but the cortec hub does NOT fit in a cortec clip, and it is a bit tricky to turn the aber on and off due to the placement (my pinky just fits)

From order to arrival took from September 27 to December 18. That included some issues with trying to get ahold of him. That said, the hassel does seem worth the final product.

Also for people keeping up with my progress, the armor, belts, and gauntlet have now been sold, so I will be starting over once I find work.

Guest Anonymous

Just giving a general update where I am with this costume. After halloween, I sold the armor, belts and guntlet. Additionally, with new pictures avalible, it appears I am starting all over again, (I still have my machinefx saber). The new one (attempt 3) will take some time, but I will not be satisfied with anything short of perfection.

I will post progress here as I make it, but dont look for anything soon. Due to current budget restrains I had to cancel my costuming budget this month, so I will not be starting anything until march.

So Kota, you can sleep easy for now. But remember I will be coming for you!

Guest Anonymous

I'm Baaaaaack.

So here is the progress I have made on version 3.

Collar

Like before I used a ducttape manaquin and posterborad to form the base and layered it with fiberglass. to get the correct collar shape, I built up a frame with balsa and then filled it with bondo. the holes were made with a dremmel attachment. after two weeks of sanding it was painted nickle. I will weather it like before with acrylic paint anf flat black spay paint when I get a chance.

DSCN4910.jpg

DSCN4912.jpg

DSCN4984.jpg

DSCN4985.jpg

DSCN4986.jpg

DSCN4982.jpg

DSCN5003.jpg

DSCN5004.jpg

DSCN5005.jpg

DSCN5034.jpg

DSCN5035.jpg

DSCN5036.jpg

DSCN5037.jpg

DSCN5038.jpg

Gauntlet

Prettmuch the same as before with little improvements. One in particular is now the gauntlet hindges like a Fett gauntlet.

DSCN5031.jpg

DSCN5032.jpg

DSCN5033.jpg

Guest Daritha

The collar looks really great!

How did you make the restraining bolt? Im still stuck with such details. I'm still looking for good belts.

Guest Anonymous

I had it made by a person who makes resin parts for R2 units here.

www.resinparts.com

This is the second bolt he has made for me and I have been very happy with his products.

Belts I am going to try to dye my own leather fron Tandy Leather. I will keep the forum posted with my progress, but between work and easter this week is getting crazy so dont expect anything too soon.

I love seeing progress pictures like this. Thanks for sharing the steps you've taken. It really looks like your skills are improving with each go-round, too! This should be a great costume when you're done.

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous

hi there.

first of all just want to say your gear looks really great. awesome job...

I am new to the forum and to costuming in general. I am in the 501st academy and just finishing my stormtrooper gear. My next costume will be starkiller tho. I was just wondering what you used for the shoulder armor? and how you molded it.? any advice you could provide would be extremely helpful. thanx so much..

Uglywolf

Guest Anonymous

ok nevermind.... i didnt see some of these pics and explanation when i first wrote you. what I originally saw was only finished pictures of the armor. I've never worked with any of these products tho, fibeglass bondo balsa etc...

think a novice could do it?

Guest Anonymous

If you read the instructions on the containers, have a palm sander, work space, AND A RESPERATOR it can be done. as far as being novice this is only the second time I ever made armor like this.

What is the 501 acadamy?

Guest Anonymous

Progress has been slow due to travel and work, but I finally managed to paint and weather the gauntlet and armor. After a test fit I had to trim the back, but I am really happy with the result so far.

DSCN5093.jpg

DSCN5094.jpg

Additionally I have made a new tunic that wraps all the way around my back (needs to be dyed, the old one is shown) and have finished 5 of the six belts. I need to have the large one etched and get together all the add ons for the other belts

DSCN5078.jpg

I still need help on the wraps though. If I simply cut bull denium it freys, and if I try to sew it into a tube it tries to rotate in my sewing machine. Anybody know what to do to make good wraps that don;t fray?

I still need help on the wraps though. If I simply cut bull denium it freys, and if I try to sew it into a tube it tries to rotate in my sewing machine. Anybody know what to do to make good wraps that don;t fray?

In looking at the high-rez images, the wraps definitely do NOT look like they're just cut pieces. They look as though the edges are turned under but there is no sign of sewing on them. (I also noticed that the weave lines tend to run the short way across the wraps, not down the length of the wraps.) For true accuracy I think you would need to figure out a trick to sewing them into a tube, or perhaps you could find some way to turn under the edges and secure them in place. Some possibilities might be to use fabric glue (though that might be too stiff), or perhaps an iron on tape like the kind used for securing hems and seam lines. That might be your best bet. It would secure the edges under, wouldn't require sewing, would remain flexible, and would keep the cut edges hidden under the wraps. I would use the iron-on kind of tape, not the double-stick kind that you just press on, since the iron on types tend to have a stronger hold.

Pam :-)

Guest Anonymous

After going through this whole thread its amazing to watch your costume grow and change. Im happy to see you picked up the project again, looking killer. I myself is reworking my whole thing, though mine is nothing like either if yours.

Cant wait for more.

Btw, im totally jealous of that lightsaber. I found someone on the Mercs boards thats gonna make a run of those.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the complements guys. Unfortunatly I havent made much progress lately since I have been working on a slightly diffrent project;

DSCN5214.jpg

DSCN5454.jpg

DSCN5466.jpg

DSCN5470.jpg

BustingChristmas.jpg

And then another one:

DSCN5436.jpg

DSCN5434.jpg

The new TFU II trailer has me remotivated, but I realise that my body is just not working for this suit. I will be going to the gym starting monday, but until I reach a point where I can actually look good in this costume it is on hold. I will let you guys know when I pick it up again.

Guest StungunMoy

I love your Starkiller progress pictures, and the resulting item as well :) Fantastic! I love your progression shots :) Thanks for sharing!

Guest Daritha

I don't know which one I like more. The Halo Spartan or the Ghost Buster. Excellent work. :)

The new TFU II trailer has me remotivated, but I realise that my body is just not working for this suit. I will be going to the gym starting monday, but until I reach a point where I can actually look good in this costume it is on hold. I will let you guys know when I pick it up again.
Yeah, I can feel with you. Christmas leaves his trail on me, too. ^^

Guest Anonymous

I've been going to the gym and recent items at work are pushing me to the darkside so I am going to pick this up again.

Here is my new tunic. I cut the old one up for a patern and using tape redesignes the one side to wrap under my right arm, around my back, and end somewhere under the restraining bolt. I think the color could still be a bit darker, but I will probably fix that up with some airbrushed black when I ad the grim.

DSCN5626.jpg

DSCN5627.jpg

DSCN5628.jpg

At this point I am really working on version 4. The last collar I made I thought was great, but it didnt fit right. I believe this is because I had an inexperienced person make the manaquine. This time I havd a fellow prop builder help me out, and I am going to wait until I have the main belts on so I get the scale just right. Stay tuned.

Guest Daritha
I've been going to the gym and recent items at work are pushing me to the darkside so I am going to pick this up again.

Yeah, me too. Christmas had taken its toll this time. :oops:

I like how your outer tunic comes out. The color is good. Where did you find the shirt or did you sew it from scratch?