• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Bane, post Dxun WIP

The Clone Emperor

Recent citings;

12836_198204894622_633079622_3981796_271466_n.jpg

Darth Bane, Fan Days III Sketch Card

sketch by Tom Hodges

costume modeled by Thomas Spanos

DSCN9628.JPG

I stumbled upon this today at the Underground Studio web galleries. Apparently it is a commissioned custom. I have inquired about reciprocal links--and the possibility of trading some big orbalisks for wee little ones.

Be well,

Thomas

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darth Bane, WIP Orbalisk Armour;

Orbalisk_Fitting_2009_by_TheCloneEmperor.jpg

The continued progress of my Darth Bane and his Orbalisk Armour. (Seen here without helmet, cape, and hair cut.) This weekend I completed the shoulder bells and fitted closure straps to the back the gorget.

Be well,

Thomas

Guest Anonymous

:shock: no words to tell what i think

amazing is not too big, fantastic ditto !

Thomas your are a killer ! (in France it's an expression to tell you are more than the best ! )

Thank you kindly. Mostly I work alone on my projects. It can take years before one is complete to the point I can wear it publicly. Your input helps remind me of the fun of getting there.

I probably said it before, I don't like to post without progress to my own threads. So with that in mind, I'd like to share a few images;

DarthBaneSabre1.jpg

My sabre projection, based on the Jedi vs Sith comic series, covering the Battle of Ruusan.

BaneSabreI01.jpg

Darth Bane, Battle of Ruusan Sabre

When I first contacted the good folk of Ultra Sabers in September of 2006 about a sabre, I was only looking to see if they could supply the parts for a bright purple blade. (I intended to make the sabre hilt myself.) But the Ultra Sabers team became energized with the concept of what I was trying to do and soon we were discussing a full fledged custom commission. After their purposed draft, I submitted my own projection for the sabre's proportions (I am a technical illustrator by trade.) That projection was eventually used to produce a limited run of 20 sabres. Mine is just slightly different than the rest of the run in the detail around the emitter ring knob. I would not have believed it but the sound board adds a lot to the sabre's presence.

To my surprise, I have received unsolicited criticism for commissioning this straight hilted sabre. (While the first appearance of Bane was with a simple straight hilt, the first short story--then much later the Darth Bane novels--refer to Bane's hilt as being hooked.) I found this criticism to be annoying. Not because of the presumption, but because I designed a very special curved hilt years ago. I have always intended to construct this myself. Patience.

20168_236939479037_789749037_2991993_7371876_n.jpg

At the ACME Design Studio

This weekend, with the help of two of my friends, Alexandra and Ethan, casts of my arms were made. (We met up at a prop studio that graciously hosts a monthly work shop.) I have coated the castings in bondo, and am now cleaning the same for use as forms for Darth Bane's biceps and two other future projects.

Be well,

Thomas

27027_376067954622_633079622_4892889_569189_n.jpg

Right bicep encasement in process, before painting.

I look at the tyme that passes between updates and for a brief moment, I despair and wonder when I shall ever finish. Then I recall the projects I work on in between the updates on this project and realize I am on "schedule."

25195_503900074389_133800101_75779_8079993_n.jpg

Benefit for the Wild Claw theatre. Photography by Sophia Rapata.

Chicago, February 2010

I do expect update activity to ramp up in preparation for Jedi Con, Düsseldorf.

Wir sehen uns bald,

Thomas

Guest Daritha

Sweet, a TARDIS. Is this yours?

The encasements're looking really solid. I know that flexibility and Star Wars costuming isn't exactly the same thing but ... can you move even relatively freely in the costume when it's done?

I do expect update activity to ramp up in preparation for Jedi Con, Düsseldorf.

Wir sehen uns bald,

Thomas[/color]

Ich freue mich darauf. :)

Guest A'Sharad Hett
o_O

Impressive. Most impressive.

Simply cannot wait for a full-body shot of this masterpiece!

I finally managed to see him "live". Amazing! :mrgreen::shock:

Guest Daritha

@Jaina: Looki, looki here:

(29).JPG

His Clone Emperor as well as Darth Bane were most impressive costumes. I'm still excited to saw them in person.

DigitalDesignTeam_SR101227.jpg

I have recently returned from my journey in Europe. The first stop was the Jedi-Con convention in Düsseldorf, Deutschland. I was determined to make this the debut of my Darth Bane armour. It was my pleasure to connect with the craftsmen and artists met through this forum.

The process, or at least my process, of preparing a costume for a majour debut involves buying and playing an unrelated video game through to completion two weeks before the event, going for thoughtful walks, the gym, posting on forums, shopping, thinking about eating, staring at my ceiling crying, stressing to the point that my back muscles spasm and I need a cane to walk, a visit to the doctor and pharmacist, staying up twenty-four hours cramming on completing the suit, stressing over packing, airport security, lack of sleep and an extended flight in a seat place not designed to accommodate my size, working in the hotel room to finish, and VIOLA! Done. It really is that easy.

Be well,

Thomas

Guest Anonymous

WOW! That in-action shot from the contest is arguably my favorite Bane photo yet. Beautiful presentation, Thomas. Sorry about the back spasm... I remember hearing about that earlier. Bleh. You are such an amazing artist. I am VERY much looking forward to seeing Bane at CV. And YOU!

- Carolyn

Guest Anonymous

It really looks amazing! I love the armor, but the whole thing just came together beautifully.

Still going strong,

28471_439060324622_633079622_5826432_7367614_n.jpg

Working on the back and clavicles of the Orbalisk armour--

36692_438353999622_633079622_5805667_4432644_n.jpg

--only visible when the cape flares, but important nonetheless.

I look forward to sharing completed photos of this one day.

Be well,

Thomas

PS; Been looking forward to our reunion for years Carolyn

Now with back armour and second rebato;

Darth Bane at the Star Wars Celebration V Costume Masquerade. (Best of Show);

DarthBane_CV01.jpg

DarthBane_CV04.jpg

(Photos by Photo Knight / Andrew Siguenza)

This ICE is nice.

Be well,

Thomas

Guest Anonymous

Loved seeing this in action. You carried yourself brilliantly for the part. Kudos. I have pics, too. I'll post them soon.

Even the Dark Lord of the Sith has a birthday. Here's the cake my friend made for me at a surprise birthday party;

61386_475543064622_633079622_6721267_5912220_n.jpg

¡It is an Orbalisk Cake!

Normally, the back of this character is hidden by the cape, but I felt it would add to the suit's authenticity to complete the coverage. I was was thrilled with the result and the new costuming option. As I arrived at a Chicago land convention I realized that I had left my cape at home. With completed the back armour, I decided I could go "topless;"

Darth_Bane__Topless_MMX_VIII_A_by_TheCloneEmperor.jpg

Be well,

Thomas

Guest Anonymous

Beautiful costume,I don't know whether to call it craftsmanship or art :) I believe I have seen it somewhere else on the net a while ago *thinking*

I looks really good 'topless', you look more powerful somehow. Really cool! -and that goes for the cake as well :D