• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Viqi Shesh Standards Discussion

Twi'lek Pam

I would like to send a HUGE thank-you to Leslie for all of her help with these standards. She worked hard on them, and did a terrific job. (Her Viqi Shesh costume is great, too!) I've done some editing to bring these standards into line with the rest of the detachment's posted standards, but for the most part, the work is hers!

dz1463_full.jpg

Costume Standards for Senator Viqi Shesh

VikiShesh.jpg

A Viqi Shesh Costume Must Have:

(These costume elements are required.)

Unitard:

* The white form-fitting unitard must have long sleeves and a high scooped neck that is not visible beneath the capelet.

* The unitard sleeves must end in a petal cuff.

normal_VikiWrist.jpg

Long-Sleeved Coat

* The body of the coat should be made of a medium or heavy weight fabric in mauve and purple, with swirls or a paisley pattern.

* The coat must be ankle length.

* The coat’s front opening and around the neck must be edged in an attached scarf made from pink fabric.

* The long angel sleeves must be made of a sheer pink fabric.

* The sleeves must be edged with a scalloped sheer grey fabric and decorated with gold stitching or paint. Gold beads may be sewn on.

* A sheer overlay is attached to the back and reaches nearly to the bottom of the jacket. It must be made of the same sheer pink fabric as the sleeves.

* The capelet must be made from a heavy, dark purple fabric. It should be top-stitched with gold thread on the bottom edge.

* The capelet is closed at the neck with a gold brooch made from three joined circles.

* The high stand-up collar must be made of the same pink fabric as the scarf. It is lined with red suede or fabric that has been dyed with horizontal purple stripes, and must be edged with gold trim. The collar should be supported by an interior wire frame or heavy interfacing in order to hold its proper shape and height.

Epaulets:

* The epaulets can be made of the same purple fabric as the capelet and covered with gold beads or gold braid, or they may be sculpted from a metallic gold meduim.

VikiEpaulet.jpg

Dickey and Cravat:

* The dickey must be made of dark purple fabric that has been stamped or painted with small red rosettes.

* The dickey collar must be high (almost as high as the stand-up collar on the coat) with a one inch trim made from solid red fabric.

* A decorative “V” shaped opening is found at the center front of the dickey. The true closure should be located at the back.

* The cravat must be made of a mauve fabric, or at least a redder shade of purple than the dickey.

* The bottom of the cravat must have a ruffle made of the same red as the collar on the dickey.

VikiCapelet.jpg

Sheer Skirt:

* The skirt must be made of the same sheer pink fabric as the sleeves and overlay on the coat.

* The skirt must be stamped with rosettes in gold fabric paint. Small rosettes are at the top, graduating down to large rosettes at the bottom.

* The edges of the skirt must be painted with gold scallops.

* The skirt may be attached to the back of the belt.

* The costumer may sew heavy gold beads to the bottom edge of the skirt fabric to help keep it in place.

VikiSheerSkirt.jpg

Belt:

* The belt must be two inches wide and made of very dark purple fabric or suede.

* The belt must be decorated with gold paint and beads, including beads sewn along the top and bottom edges.

* The belt must close at the back. There is no buckle in the front.

* A metallic amulet of the correct design must hang from a gold or purple chain or cord at the front center of the belt.

* Three swags hang across the front of the belt. They must be made from alternating round and oblong or tubular gold beads.

VikiBelt.jpg

Boots:

* The low-heeled boots must be made of red fabric, leather, or suede that has been dyed with dark purple stripes.

* The boots must be a pull-on style with no visible buckles.

VikiBoots.jpg

Jewelry

* The brooch on the capelet must be metallic and of the correct triple circle design.

* The metallic gold earrings must be triangular in shape.

* The pair of hair ornaments, one on each side of the head, must be metallic and of the correct design. Metallic gold beads may be used.

normal_VikiJewelry.jpg

Hair:

* The hair must be straight and black. The length in back is undetermined.

* Four tendrils of hair are seperated from the rest of the hair and hang down loosely, two tendrils on each side of the face.

normal_VikiHair.jpg

Cosmetics:

* The make-up should consist of pink eye shadow and pink lipstick.

* The fingernails should be painted light pink.

A Viqi Shesh Costume Should Have:

(These costume elements are highly recommended, but are not required.)

Contact Lenses

* Brown contact lenses will complete the look of Viqi Shesh if you don’t have brown eyes.

Guest Eglantine

I'm thinking of giving this costume a go, and for purely mundane reasons. I like pink and purple, and I have long brown hair and

brown eyes already! :D

So, once made, this would be a low impact costume to put on and wear for me. The making of it won't likely be low impact, though!

Is there anywhere I could see some more pictures of the live costume pictured at the top of the initial post? I'd also love to be able to ask some questions about the construction and fabric printing.

-E

The costumer pictured is the only one who has an approved Viqi Shesh costume, and unfortunately she was not interested in taking any pictures for us beyond the one used in her profile image. She let me know a few years ago that she had moved on to other interests, so the standards for this costume came to an abrupt halt as you see them. If you make the costume, and you can make it truly accurate... I'm looking for a costume model! (But I will be picky on the details! Bwahahhaaa!)

Pam :-)

Guest Eglantine

Oh my! I'm game, though, if folks are willing to answer the (probably) hundreds of questions I'll have. I'm not a novice seamstress, and I have worked with jewelry sculpture and beading before. My sleep meds are starting to kick in now, though, so I'll just ask the first of many...

I'm assuming from the "rosette" pattern that is repeated on different fabric weights and colors that stenciling or stamping the fabric, myself, may be the tack to take with the fabrics. Any advice on some qood quality fabric paints that won't look stiff and crackly once they dry (especially when using gold)? I've had experience with the carving of stamps to use in fabric printing, so it wouldn't be difficult to mock up some rosettes in graduated sizes.

Also, I am the tortoise when it comes to a sewing race. Slow and steady...like a piece a month until it all comes togeter. It took me a solid year to finish my Traya.

-E

I'm a snail when it comes to sewing projects... they all tend to take me a year or more as well!

I highly recommend Jacquard paints. They're what I used on my Visas dress, and years and many washings later they still look perfect.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1 ... aints.html

Pam :-)

Guest Eglantine

Yeah, remember how I said I am slow? Like a tortoise, I am. It doesn't help that I always have a home renovation project of some kind going, as well. Restoring a 1945 house has it joys, but it's a time sink (and money!)

Anywho, I have a pattern I think will work for the base jumpsuit.

Phone+Pics+014.jpg

Thoughts? Suggestions on fabrics? :)

-E

Yeah, remember how I said I am slow? Like a tortoise, I am. It doesn't help that I always have a home renovation project of some kind going, as well. Restoring a 1945 house has it joys, but it's a time sink (and money!)

Anywho, I have a pattern I think will work for the base jumpsuit.

Phone+Pics+014.jpg

Thoughts? Suggestions on fabrics? :)

-E

I think view A with a few modifications would work.