• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Advice for Nihilus Gloves

NihilusLordOfHunger

Hi Community,

I'm currently working on a Nihilus (COTF) Cosplay, and therefore need advice about the gloves/gauntlets,

I was send here by the German Garrison's forum, and I have two Gauntlets in mind

http://www.maskworld.com/german/products/kostueme/kostuem-komponenten-teile--250/handschuhe-armschienen--2502/lederhandschuhe--MR-200376

and these

http://mittelalterland.de/Mittelalter-Kleidung/Mittelalter-Kleidung-Handschuhe/Ziegenleder-Handschuhe-schwarz::5310.html?XTCsid=3b3rbfrge760m3oj5phvarji74

I'm more drawn to the first pair, but I wanted to know if even one of these pairs is acceptable to 501st Legion Norms

I hoping for quick and helpful advice,

thanks in advance,

Chris

The first ones look better, I don't think that much flare going up the arms like the second pair would be approveable.  For boots you can really just use any plain black leather ones that fit you.  As long as there are no laces or buckles you should be good.  I still use a pair of knee high pirate boots for mine since it has been difficult to find affordable boots in US size 13 wide.  The skirts will cover the tops of the boots most of the time anyway.

Gloves wise if you're still looking - or for anyone else - re-enactment shops sell what are usually branded as "noblemans gloves", I got a pair of these which were actually on amazon and inexpensive. Nice soft leather and zero gauntlet flare. Reach perfectly half way up my forearm as well. They seem to weather up nicely too.

Advice on boots, well I got Russian jack boots, pretty sure mine are reproductions but they were very affordable (cheaper than a normal pair of shoes) and the postage from Moscow wasn't too bad either. They have nailed soles and are full leather and pretty much look the same as german jack boots. Sizing was an issue though, as with most military gear you should really go 1 size smaller or a 1/2 size smaller if you can. I stupidly ordered the same size so it means wearing 2 socks in the boots to get them comfy...

• Like 1