• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Standards Discussion - TIE Fighter Factory/Training Gear

Guest Anonymous

Good afternoon,

This response is divided by topic;

Hairstyle and facial scars

Yes, hair style and colour requirments will remain firm for this character--as it is for 501st's "Dark" Anakin. Indeed hair style and colour, facial scars/unique skin features are the only additional requirements asked of individuals applying as face characters in the 501st Legion.

¿Mara Jade without long red hair? ---Incogitable

¿Anakin as Darth Vader without the facial scar he received from Asajj Ventress? ---absurb

If The Rebel Legion says the beard is optional for ANH Obi Wan Kenobi, far be it for the 501st Legion, George Lucas, or anyone else to say otherwise. By the same token, one should not be surprised when a club that does require the character's iconic beard is regarded for having higher standards by the public.

WWC08045.jpg

The appearance of the secret apprentice on his TIE Factory assult bears wounds and injuries before he steps into battle. These are considered part of his canon appearance;

apprentice_turnaround3.jpg

The 501st "goal" is not to recreate a video game or comic character but rather bring the character to life on par with big screen characters portrayed in flesh and blood using all available reference.

501st and Rebel Legion Standards

The 501st Legion and its younger sister group, The Rebel Legion, may claim some of the same characters, but our costume standards do not intentionally overlap. Where they do, it has been by coincidence and not design;

The 501st Legion's standards are drawn from available LFL reference. The focus is on recreating and bringing existing characters to life.

The Rebel Legion's founding charter allowed for custom and Star-Wars inspired characters. In recent years and as I understand it, The Rebel Legion has begun recognizing two classes of costumes; formal--based on canon reference, and informal--grandfathered custom creations.

Weapon and other Prop requirements

At the onslaught of America's "war on terror" many of our members reported that they were not allowed to carry weapons of any kind into conventions. With this in consideration, Stormtroopers in the 501st are not required to bare arms. And while the Blastech E-11 is officially considered optional, any trooper I know would feel nekid without one. The same would follow for the secret apprentice.

Fabric recommendations

If a certain fabric is suggested to meet a standard, consider it an aide while on your travels to the fabric store. If after detailed research of your own you believe you have come across a better match, submit it and see if the majority agrees. Your find may become the new standard.

It may help to think of fabric recommendations in terms of paint brand and colour. There are many reds out there. But the fellow who has researched and matched the colour for the Royal Guard is doing others a favour in sharing what he or she uses;

MCCC09107.jpg

I think folk really have it confused when they believe that 501st requires certain things of costumers. As a costuming community, the 501st can approve the costumes they want to represent their founding ideals. And conversely, as a costumer, you can do what you want with your creation.

I recommend doing what you want first. If it happens to match some club's standards and you want to be in that club, so much the better. If not, that is fine too. You still will have the costume you wanted.

Be well,

Thomas

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Daritha
Very nice work. Exceptional research and very nice details on the various components. This is certainly a daunting costume and is even more complicated than an armored Vader!!!

I wouldn't go SO far. ^^ Every costume has its own individual difficulties. For Starkiller, no doubt, the many details could be one's white whale. For Jedi there right fabrics and the right cut is very important. For Stormies, I guess, the white shine of the armor is as essential as the good-fitting black catsuit. ^^

Guest Anonymous

for us stormtroopers the most important thing is the fit of the armour itself, it needs to be fairly tight fitting with no obvious gaps ;)

Guest Anonymous

just a thought on the sabre...... when it comes to 501st standards will it need to have a specific appearance, because obviously in the game you can customise it in many ways.

i think i already know the answer but thought i would ask lol ;)

plus could you divide this topic into two seperate ones? one with just the standards in it and one with the discussion it it? will make things clearer i think :D

Guest Daritha
just a thought on the sabre...... when it comes to 501st standards will it need to have a specific appearance, because obviously in the game you can customise it in many ways.
I think you answered your question yourself. Since Starkiller customized his lightsaber in the game sequences (also in the comic and novel) itself, we do not really have a lightsaber hilt for him - if you don't want to make a different hilt for each of his outfits ... but that's a little bit too picky.

If its not for a movie character I think its OK when your lightsaber looks a lot like the the one from the reference. Excluding such unique designs like Tenel Ka's Rancor teeth lightsaber or Darth Nihls lightstaff and so forth.

Guest Anonymous

so how are we getting on with some official standards for this one?

when you do finalise something it may be an idea to put them in another LOCKED thread so that that's all there is ;)

Guest braea_kast

I am working on the standards as we speak...

As far as the sabre... ANY saber, in the SW universe, is customizable, but it must fit the character as it was originally set in whatever medium form it may be.

I think that Thomas will back me up on that.

In regard to the standards becoming universal and to uphold the quality of the 501st, each aspect will be looked at very closely and then decided on.

Thanks,

Melanie Cummings

when you do finalise something it may be an idea to put them in another LOCKED thread so that that's all there is ;)

You will find a locked thread for all completed standards at the top of each character's section. It makes life easier that way.

Detachment members, the Starkiller training gear standards are now posted for approval in the detachment news and info forum. Please stop by and vote!

http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forum ... php?t=1502

Thanks,

Pam :-)