• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Standards Discussion - TIE Fighter Factory/Training Gear

Guest Anonymous

First, my compliments to everyone for keeping the Starkiller costume research, costume building, and discussions rolling. I've been playing the quiet observer, reading your posts and watching the group's understanding of this costume develop greater detail every day. It's a fascinating process!

I think we've come far enough along (and gained enough of a chance to get this costume approved for 501st membership) that it's time to start working on a set of standards in earnest. To do that, we have to start at the beginning... with references. We need reference images from three seperate sources, and we need lots of detail shots covering both the front and the back of the costume. We need pictures from the game, we need scans from the graphic novel, and we need good photos of the action figure. Also, I need to see those references housed here in our gallery, rather than scattered across the vastness of the internet, and I need to see them referenced by source. (For those who wonder why we need to host the images here, it's because we've experienced the loss of great references too many times in the past. One day we have wonderful reference pictures, and the next day they're suddenly replaced by messages saying things like, "This image is no longer available on Photobucket." Ack!)

All pictures posted to the gallery must be approved by an admin, so there are two options for adding reference pictures.

You may email them to me at mitji@aol.com, and I will post them. (I'll crop out extra background and resize them if needed, also.)

Or, you can upload them to the gallery yourself. If you scroll down toward the bottom of the gallery page, you will see an album titled "Transfer- Upload event pictures here." Upload the pictures, and our webmaster or I will transfer them to a Starkiller gallery.

http://theflagshipeclipse.com/gallery/index.php

Thank you,

Pam :-)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you want the soul caliber ones too?

Yes, I think it would be a good idea to collect some pictures from there as well. As long as we note the source of the images, there shouldn't be a problem. I know that it's not identical to TFU, but there may be some valuable details to be found!

do we still need 3 sources if LFL has deemed it canon? wouldn't we just need detail shots from every angle?

I believe we will need 3 resources. The Lucas folks might have deemed it "cannon" but it is still an EU costume, and I believe the legion's movie-cannon diehards will require this costume to follow the standard EU rules. No worries... we've got the references, we just need to collect them together. I'm going to get the graphic novel and do some scanning, and I can probably get some good pictures of our Starkiller action figure, hopefully this week. I don't have a way to save screen shots from the game(s), though... I'll have to look to others for that.

Guest Anonymous

one of the other threads mentioned the 3 source thing. Basically, bettween the toys, books, games, magazines, and other things there should be no issue with the 3 sources. It is just a matter of now we are putting the archive together instead of the random pictues we have everywhere

when you sa you want screen grabs from the game, do you just want the training costume, or grabs of every costume? cuz i think i have an idea how to get some pics, i'll just have to find my 360's RCA cables.

when you sa you want screen grabs from the game, do you just want the training costume, or grabs of every costume? cuz i think i have an idea how to get some pics, i'll just have to find my 360's RCA cables.

For now, let's just focus on the training costume. That is the costume with the best chance of approval in the legion.

Thanks,

Guest Anonymous

Question for Pam,

Are you posting the pics you are recieving yet? I am just curious how to prevent you from recieving the same photo over and over again.

Additionally, when we give sources is it ok if we get the picture from an online article or other sources if we know where they came from (i.e. is it a SC4 screen shot or TFU promotional rendering.)

Question for Pam,

Are you posting the pics you are recieving yet? I am just curious how to prevent you from recieving the same photo over and over again.

Additionally, when we give sources is it ok if we get the picture from an online article or other sources if we know where they came from (i.e. is it a SC4 screen shot or TFU promotional rendering.)

I will post them... when I get some! I haven't had a chance to buy the graphic novel yet, so no scans from me. There haven't been any uploads to the gallery yet, either.

Online publicity sources can be used as long as we cite the source, since they were put up to promote the characters/games/novels/etc. If you get them from someone's personal website or gallery, though, then we need permission and a reference. People get unhappy when we "steal" their uploads.

hey pam, sorry i havn't gotten pics yet. i'm still on the hunt for my old xbox cables that i havn't used since i upgraded. though once i find that, i'm pretty sure i know where my video capture dongle is.

Guest Anonymous
I have the entire force unleashed comic book in digital format. Do you want some of those pics?

Hey dude,

Do you think you could email it to me?

I could really really use it for the costume I'm putting together!

- Fitz

(Sithbanshee2020@yahoo.com)

If you don't mind..

Guest Anonymous

Between the standards post (which you are reading) and my personal thread there has been alot of discussion about the colors, construction and symbols on the costume. However One detail really needs to be discussed and that is the construction of the belts, particularly the buckles. From the SC4 and TFU promotional shots it appears the buckles are all of the parachute snap type. Othes have suggested the buckles are similar to the boy scout belt fastening system. Does anybody have other input on the subject?

Guest Anonymous

I think I may have found a source for the clips:

http://www.cdwplus.com/singleSRB.html

according to my measurments, I have 4 belts that are 1.5" wide and 2 that are 2" wide. The 3" bets dosent appear to have a clip besides the two metal plates on it, so I will have it buckel there if it buckles at all (I may be able just to slide it on.

Guest Anonymous

I've been putting alot of post up latly between the various threads mainly to keep myself busy since I am out of stuff to work on until My belts get here in the next few days. When I started this particular thread I was stil;l working on the shoulder armor and nothing else, and I wrote a draft based on what I saw in the references. After getting alot of input from various members here and TDH (Thanks everyone!), I think I have a much better understanding of the costume now. Looking at the progress I have made on the costume, I would like to offer a more in depth draft of some standards.

Tunic and Pants

-Material should have a lined pattern on it such as Bull Denium of Cortory.

-Color should be as dark of a brown as possible without being a full black

-The tunic is similar to prequel jedi tunics with the exception that the sleaves fit snug to the wearer and thecut on the front is much more steep

-The top fold of the tunic must wrap arount the torso and under the right arm

-The left sleave is torn just under the left elbow

-The right sleave has distinctive tears at the shoulder and elbow joints.

-A black tee is worn under the tunic and is seen where the two flaps meet.

Wraps

-Wraps as the same fabric as the tunic and pants.

-The wraps on the hands are the same dark brown color as the tunic

-The remaining wraps are a worn combination of tan and grey.

-Strips are roughly 1-1.25" wide

Loin Cloth

-Cloth should be a medium brown, much lighter than the tunic

-Cloth should extend past the knees

-Cloth should be a diffrent, shear, flowing fabric compared to the tunic

Belts

-Belts should be dark, dark, dark brown or black with a hint of brown

-Material is leather

-there is a total of 7 belts. This includes:

four 1.5" wide belts

two 2" wide belts

one 3" wide belt

-The 1.5" belts are fastened using parachute clips with no visible slack

-The 2" belts are also fastened using parachute side release snaps, but the extra material will sit on the top of the belt visiable to the public

-The 2" belts have a leather loop on them the excess materal passes through

-The 3" belt has no visable buckle besides 2 metal plates found on either side of the belt

-The 3" belt must have 4 corvetex clips, two on either side of the back plate

Armor

-The two halves are held together by two leather straps on the back and two side release clips on the front

-The straps under the arms are leather and close with a single side release clip near the front (the entire armor set should have only 4 clips on it)

-The armor is a worn silver/metal finish

-A restraining bolt is on the left plate

-A series of holes is present on the armor, I will ask someone else determine exaclty how the pattern is layed out)

Gauntlet

-The gauntlet must have a top and bottom plate. It is not simply the top of a "off the shelf" fett gauntlet

-The display should read "Order 67, Search, Destroy, Kota" as shown by the graphic provided by the creators of the character

-Finish is the same as the armor

Saber

-As with every other character I looked at here, unmodified MR should not be accepted. I will post pics of the beautiful one I am having made when it arrives and I get permission from the maker

Hair

-Black or dark brown

-Should be buzzed with a number 2 or 3 clipper attachment

I made a fascinating discovery while studying images and working on the standards last night:

The tunic is NOT like a jedi tunic that just wraps around in the front as we had expected!

That wrap is VERY long. It starts at the left shoulder, crosses to the right across the chest, goes under the right arm, crosses around the lower back, crosses under the left arm just above the belts, and finally disappears under the belts on the front left side! It goes completely around his torso in a diagonal line, like the threads of a screw.

It is clear that the Starkiller costume's distinctive look is created by applying many wraps and layers... but that was a layer of wrapping that I hadn't expected! It is very unique; I don't think I've ever seen a tunic style like that before.

2. Amy mentioned some materials she would be using to build a costume for actor Sam Witwer. I'll copy that here:

"I've started making a shirt for Sam, and ended up going with an almost black fabric from the 'suiting' department. I'm pretty much going for exactly what you had, with a few exceptions. The shirt wrap goes all the way around his waist and clips on the left front side. And also I'm using bull denim for the skirt cloth in the front and back - I originally meant for it to be what you had, but Manny modeled it as looking more leather-like, and I'm going for something in-between."

LOL! Okay, I guess I didn't make that great of a discovery.... Michael had already posted a message months ago saying that the wrap goes all of the way around, and Dark Jedi mentioned it to a degree in his standards listing as well!

Oh, well, so much for my moment of observational glory! :-D

Guest Anonymous

For the record, I believe the edge of the left half of the tunic hits the belts under the right arm (see my progress threads) I would not recommend doing too many wraps around the torso, because I noticed that it is not that hard between the belts and the fabric to look heavy in the costume.

For the record, I believe the edge of the left half of the tunic hits the belts under the right arm (see my progress threads) I would not recommend doing too many wraps around the torso, because I noticed that it is not that hard between the belts and the fabric to look heavy in the costume.

I'm afraid our goal is to make our costumes as accurate to the references as possible. If just looking skinny was the goal, trust me when I say that I wouldn't have added quilting to the thighs of my Mara jumpsuit! My thighs are chubby enough without adding that extra bulk; but the quilting is in the references, so it's in my costume, too... chubby thighs and all!

We now have high resolution grapics as well as confirmation from the costume's designers that the wrap goes all the way around, so, extra bulk or not, it'll be in the standards that way!

Here are a couple example images. You can clearly see the diagonal lines of the wrap going across his back:

(Notice the stain where blood trickled down his back, too... it's in every reference!)

BackView.jpg

force002.jpg

Here's what I have so far for the Starkiller standards. It isn't finished yet, but I wanted to share what I have so far. (Scott just came in an announced that I have 15 minutes left to finish if I'm going to reach my goal. Clearly I'm not going to make it, but I've been working on this all evening, and I did try... Hopefully that'll count for something! :-D) A huge thank-you goes to Dark Jedi for getting this started!

Costume Standards for the Starkiller Training Costume

SecretApprenticeSmall.jpg

A Starkiller Training Costume Must Have:

(These costume elements are required.)

Short Hair:

* The hair is dark brown, and must be cut very short.

normal_02.jpg

Special Effects Makeup:

* Special effects makeup should be used to create scars and dried blood stains.

* A cut or lightsaber burn approximately 5 cm long crosses the upper right arm just below the shoulder.

* Dried blood covers the back of the left elbow, with rivulets and smears showing from the upper arm down to the wraps that cover the forearm.

(Do these wounds show up often enough to be placed in the "must have" section, or are they something that ought to be in the "should have" section?)

normal_force011.jpgnormal_TFU6.jpg

Inner Shirt:

* The sleeveless inner shirt should be black or very dark brown in color.

* The inner shirt has a round, t-shirt style neckline.

Outer Tunic:

* The outer tunic should be made of a dark brown material with a strong twill weave pattern, such as bull denim.

* The tunic has a Jedi style V-neck overlap, with the right side tucked under the left.

* The left side of the tunic is unusually long, with a triangular shaped extension that wraps completely around the torso. The wrap begins at the left shoulder and goes across the front of the torso, under the right arm, and then diagonally across the lower back. The end of the wrap is hidden by the belts, and can be secured on the front left side in any practical way.

* The tunic sleeves are form-fitting and badly damaged.

* The left sleeve is torn off at the elbow. It reaches only to the elbow in the back, and hangs loosely over the forearm in the front.

* The right sleeve has three tears or cuts. One cut reveals the lightsaber burn on the upper arm. Another long tear is located over the right bicep, and a third is visible just above the forearm wraps

* The tunic fabric is heavily weathered, and should be stained to replicate the appearance of dried blood, sweat, and grime.

* A trail of dried blood just to the left of the spine goes down the back of the tunic from a small puncture wound just under the armor.

BackView.jpg

Rogue.jpg

Pants:

* The pants are made with the same dark brown fabric as the tunic.

* The pants are slightly baggy, and should tuck into the boots.

* The fabric must be heavily weathered, and should have a damaged area running across the outer right thigh, as if the fabric was snagged but didn't tear, or as if it were cut and then badly repaired.

(I'm afraid this is the best image I can find for the tear in the leg so far. I'll keep looking for something better. You can see the tear on the lower thigh, below his hand. A tear is just a detail, but it's the multitude of details like this one that make the training costume so distinctive!)

normal_TFU7.jpg

Fabric Wraps:

* The wraps should be made with the same type of fabric as the tunic and pants. The edges should be roughly cut or torn, and should be fraying at the edges.

* The wraps covering the hands and wrists are the same dark brown color as the tunic.

* The remaining wraps are stained in a heavily weathered combination of tan and grey tones.

* The strips of fabric used in the wraps may vary in width, but they should average around 3 to 4 cm.

* A wrap around the upper left arm ties at the back of the arm, and has the ends cut short.

* A wrap around the upper right arm ties in the front, and has a length of fabric hanging loose from the knot.

* The wrap around the left wrist is tied at the outside of the wrist, and has the ends of the fabric hanging free.

* The wrap around the right wrist is very long, and wraps many times around the gauntlet.

* The boots are covered with thick layers of fabric wraps. The wraps cover the entire shaft of the boots, and then wrap around the foot as well.

* The wraps over the right boot should be tucked in at the ends.

* The wraps covering the right boot should be knotted near the outer top edge of the boot. The ends of the wrap fabric should drape down from the knot, hanging freely to the ankle.

Loin Cloth:

* The fabric should be a medium brown, much lighter than the tunic and with a warmer tone.

* The loin cloth should extend just past the knees in the back, and it should reach to just above the knees in the front.

* The fabric should be heavily tattered and stained, especially at the bottom edges.

Armor:

* The armor is made in two pieces, with one piece covering each shoulder and extending up to cover the sides and back of the neck.

* The armor has a heavily weathered nickle finish.

* In the back, the two sections of armor are held together by a pair of dark brown leather straps that are located close together near the bottom edge.

* The gap between the armor sections is approximately 2 cm wide in the back.

* In the front, the two sections of armor are held together by a pair of side release clips that are located close together near the bottom edge of the armor.

* A leather strap goes under each arm. The straps are permanently connected to the bottom edge of the back sections of the armor. In the front, the straps are connected to the armor with side release clips.

* A restraining bolt is located on the left chest plate.

* Black scoring should be present around the bolt, flaring up toward the left shoulder. A trail of "oil" stain should run down the armor from the base of the restraining bolt.

* A series of rivet holes are located at intervals around the edges of the armor.

starkiller.jpg

Belts:

* The belts should be made of leather that has been stained very dark brown.

(Still working on this part....)

Gauntlet:

* The gauntlet must have a top and bottom plate. It is not simply the top of a "off the shelf" fett gauntlet (Still checking this part out.)

* The LED display should read "Order 67, Search, Destroy, Kota" as shown by the graphic provided by the creators of the character

* The gauntlet fnish is the same weathered nickle as the armor.

Boots:

* Plain dark brown boots with low heels.

A Starkiller Training Costume Should Have:

(These costume elements are highly recommended, but are not required.)

Lightsaber:

* The hilt should resemble the reference images for Starkiller's saber.

* If the lighsaber has a blade, the blade must be red in color.

* NO Unaltered Master Replicas FX sabers.

Guest Anonymous

IF I may, I would like to add a few comments to this list. But, before I do that I would like to thank Pam for making this detailed list and helping move acceptance of this costume forward as well as getting me motivated to start working on mine again.

So here goes:

Wraps:

I don't belive the wraps have frayed edges, in fact most pictures I study show they have a clean edge with no "fray fluff" anywhere on them. When I made my 2.0 version, I had frayed edges, and I thought it looked terrble.

I thing the wraps on the hand are significatly darker than the tunic, almost black.

Armor:

The gap in the back I believe is .5 inches tops. I do not believe you should be able to stick your fingers between the plates when it is on.

Boots:

Like the hand wraps, I think are black if not the blackest brown on earth.

Belts:

Belts are brown leather. The large one is 3 inches with the others between 1.5 and 2 inches

With the exception of the 3 inch, they are fatened with large side clip buckles, similar to the armor.

I'll look at the new references when I get a chance to veiw them on a better computer.

BTW: Where are things in terms of making this an accepted 501 character?

im going to have to agree that the wraps have no frey also.

And I'll third the motion. Good call, guys.

(This is what happens when I'm trying to get things done quickly and make unverified assumptions as I type! Last week was parent conferences... three days of being judged by the parents of my students.... and today is my yearly teaching evaluation, an hour of having both the principal and vice principal sitting in my room judging me as I teach.... so I've been a nervous distracted wreck for the past week now! I think it's me, and not the wraps, that is a bit frayed at the edges! :-D)

Let me get through my evaluation and followup (Thursday), and then I'll get back to work on cleaning up and finishing the standards. If you find any more mistakes, or would like to add anything else that needs to be noted, please be sure to post it!