• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Standards Discussion - TIE Fighter Factory/Training Gear

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

There has been alot of research on this character, and as I'm looking at the other characters (approved ones) I notice they have a set of standards clearly listed. So In order to get things rolling I think it be a good idea to get some input on what defines this character and what you think MUST be seen in a 501 accepted version.

I'll start (remember this is a discussion, not a set in stone list)

The tunic and pants:

1) The tunic is similar to a jedi tunic in consturction, but fits tighter to starkiller than the ones seen in the prequels

2) The color is dark brown. It apprears to follow the Anakin anomoly where in shadow it shoud appear black but in light clearly brown.

3) The material is Bul Denum (spell check). The texture mates perfectly between the game rendering and the sample I saw at Joanee Fabric

4)The loin cloths are a lighter shade of brown and heavily weathered at the botom

5.) the slighment of the lines on the pants is parrel with the legs

Wraps

1) All wraps are made of the same fabric as the tunic, except they are dirty gray (i.e. they were grey and over time have been stained as to have a sweaty, yellow tint as well). The exception is directly over the hands, which are black.

Belts

1) There are 6 belts total, all of which are dark brown leather.

2) Two belts (the top one and the really large one at the bottom) have a stich on their edges. All belts are held on by snap clips of the appropriate size

3) all buckels are black

Armor

1) Armor is "Jango silver" and weathered.

2) there is a total of 4 snaps on it

3) all straps are leather similar to the belts

More detaisl to come as I think of them. Please share your input.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

I don't know this for a fact, but I'm guessing bull denim wraps will not give a translucent effect when you wrap it around that light on the forearm guantlet. There is a picture of him from behind force-pushing a trooper with a clear shot of that thing and you can see the red light glowing through the fabric.

It was for this reason I chose a beige gauze. It looks to me like the same material is used for the wraps as well as the loincloth.

Guest Anonymous

I was looking at your costume earlier today, and honestly I do like the beign gause you used fro the wraps, but I dont think it really works to well for the loin part. Maybe if you darkened it a bit. Third oppinion anybody?

Guest Anonymous

Ok, just read over this again.

1. Not saying this is "the" way, but my chest armor had 8 snaps: two for the front center, two for the back center, and four for the lower corners (underarm straps).

2. Amy mentioned some materials she would be using to build a costume for actor Sam Witwer. I'll copy that here:

"I've started making a shirt for Sam, and ended up going with an almost black fabric from the 'suiting' department. I'm pretty much going for exactly what you had, with a few exceptions. The shirt wrap goes all the way around his waist and clips on the left front side. And also I'm using bull denim for the skirt cloth in the front and back - I originally meant for it to be what you had, but Manny modeled it as looking more leather-like, and I'm going for something in-between."

Guest Anonymous

Um, could they be a little less vague about the fabric? hehe

I think the back just had two straps, and the armor had only 4 snaps total. I'll look at the game more later in the week to conferm.

Does Amy have costuming experience?

Guest Anonymous

I posted some shots of my chest armor in the other thread. Yes, Amy has lots of experience and I am eager to see what she comes up with on this.

Ok, just read over this again.

1. Not saying this is "the" way, but my chest armor had 8 snaps: two for the front center, two for the back center, and four for the lower corners (underarm straps).

*snip*

in the shots pulled from cutscenes, it's pretty clear there are two clips holding together the front of the armor. and i'm pretty sure there are two straps holding together the back as well.

I haven't seen a reference pic yet of the back. I guess I need to go zoom the camera in the training room and see if I can tell.

One thing I haven't seen anyone add yet are the rivets/holes/whateverTheyAre around the edges of the shoulder armor. Seen clearly in this ref pic (click-it):

secret_apprentice_05.jpg

This ref pic also suggests a much longer angle taper between the armor flats and the stand-up collar.

~ Vonnor

Guest Anonymous

I havent added the mystery detail to may armor simply because I havent figured out yet if it is raised(like a round head bolt), set, or a flat out hole. Since this is one of those things if I go one way and the CRL or whatever it is called says to go another I would end up repainting everything, I'll wait untill they make a desision.

Guest Anonymous

Okay friends,

I thought I'd post a few more details from Manny. Here is the graphic he gave me for the forearm console:

apprentice_console.jpg

Regarding the rivet holes:

"Michael,

I have attached an image of what the apprentice has on his console ;)

His armor has holes on the edges with bolts deeper inside, which aren’t visible."

it's definitely 67. the numbers are pretty simple in aurebesh.

wonder what 67 was? karen traviss hasn't listed that one in her books, just 65 and 66.

btw, if manny has the one for Starkillers's backpack on felucia the second time (the one with the orange sash) I'd be very appreciative :P

Speculation: If it is Aurebesh, it is not "67."

Speculation: If it is "67," it is not Aurebesh.

(The rest of the display is Aurebesh.)

Evidence:

SixtySeven.jpg

(Screenshot of "Newaure.ttf" font in MS Word 2007. Newaure 180pt, Verdana 72pt)

~ Vonnor

proof: the republic commando games use arebesh numbers like this:

38main3hf.png

38 main

proof: and it's used canonicly in the film in this tractor beam comparison:

Tractorbeamtext.jpg

Tractor Beam 12 (Sec. N6)

Conclusion: the dot system of numbering isn't cannon.

aurebeshnumberscb2.jpg

so thus his compad numbering does read 67.

It all depends on which free fan made font you download. For instance;

Aurabesh has the more terrestrial looking numbers.

Aurek-Besh has the braille-like number set, and more characters for punctuation and ligatures.

I believe the Aurek-Besh was made to make a more complete, and completely alien character set, while the Aurabesh is more in keeping with movie canon.

Either way it is all creative fantasy. Almost feels perverse to present points about the details as "facts."

Be well,

Thomas

Ah that was my mistake then. I searched and researched the Aurebesh font (mainly because Mister Google assumed I meant "Aurebesh" when I typed in "Aurabesh" - I have gotten so used to taking Mr. Google's advice on such things, I never looked at the results of the first search), and only found either the "braile" dot-bar numerals, or numbers that were identical to Arabic numerals.

I stand corrected.

My apologies to Steve S. for any inferred (and I assure unintentional) castigation.

Order 67. Cute. :P

~ BC