• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Doctor Aphra

azri84

Sorry for the delay in replying. It's been a busy week.

For the hair, I think the length thing you want added is a little ridiculous. Bangs are easy enough to add/tweak but hair length? There are some CRLs where hair color isn't even specified.

It's been a very long time since I made the vest so I'll have to dig up reference later when I have my comics on hand. If I can't find it, the angle thing is a simple enough fix/edit. 

Tattoos: What I did for my sleeve was an approximation of hers. I drew the pattern while looking at multiple references. While you clearly disagree, I think that tattoos that look like hers are best for the CRL since again, this is a comic and the artwork changes constantly even with the same artist. And yes the sleeve can get pulled up high enough on me that you can't see where the lines stop as seen in the pictures of the costume I'd posted prior. 

Holster: I'm unsure what you mean regarding the leg strap? If it was any further down my leg, it'd be around my knee...

Pants: I disagree about making them denim. Mine aren't and I worry that noting denim within the CRL will make people think they can apply with standard jeans which they definitely should not be. 

I dunno which CRLS we dont have the hair color/design added in...  cant think of any.  I know even the Rebels are working standard by standard to add this detail, both in color, design, cut and shape.

The more recent CRLS written do seem to all have hair length, details and color added in. Do you have any examples where we didnt do hair?

We even argued over Kylo Rens hair recently (i argued brown they argued black) its just something that we add so that folks dont "do what they want" and end up being held up by a GML The CRLS are a guideline to avoid confusion. Just because something isnt in a standard or CRL doesnt mean that its unneeded or should not be done. But laying out important details and not leaving out things is just a good method to have. :)

On the hair length, color and details I did that because Aphra has so many different costumes and varying length of hair.  It seems to lengthen and we should make note when something is correlating and changing. She has 3 different Vest costumes and all three seem to have different lenghs of hair.  

Hope that helps! 

3 vests 3 hair lengths

shortest

Aphra-1-Artifact.jpg

Longest

aphra-cu.png

Edited by Amidala

As far as the pants go. I wrote Jean because it is just so easy to get stretch jeans. The color of her pants and design always looks Jean colored throughout her costumes. yes her pants are tight fitting. But theres still wrinkles. To me they look like stretch jean?

Aphra1.jpg

Tattoos: They might be! I dunno. I did some pulls from the comic and lined up her arms. :) Her tattoos are allll over the place I agree

brQ7mgE.jpg

Her pants look exactly like Han's in the comics (ok her entire outfit does).

s-l500-1.jpg

On that, I would definitely not say that are denim and some the same fabric style as Han IRL but with a more fitted look made from a stretch fabric in the same dark or navy blue the RL call for in the CRL.

The hair length can be listed to be in the range of what the comics cover, from what I can tell to be between shoulder and chest length, but it does need to be black and it does need to state a hair length. Other CRLs do state color and length, as with Admiral Daala, Nyna Calixte, DoI Isard, and even our own Mara Jade and her variants. CRLs within TFE are being rewritten as we speak to take things like this into consideration.

I agree with Dawn about the thigh strap that attaches to the holster from the belt. It needs to hang more separately from the belt at an angle.

Since there are some pretty major discrepancies between the Vader comic version (which I'm assuming yours is based on with the vest design you have) and her standalone comic, it'll probably be a good idea to mention this and adjust the two CRLs accordingly, or break one CRL into two versions similar to how Tiers work for accuracy.

Example being

For Vader comic version: the vest is a simple fitted red form with epaulets located on the shoulders and no additional embellishments.

For Standalone version: the vest is a simple fitted red vest with two pockets located at the lower front of each side of the vest. There is also a piped seam outlining the front of the vest and extends from the bottom of the vest to the side seams and up to the chest.

• Like 1

For the tattoos, I just talked to the assistant editor on the comics and there is no one standard for what her tattoos look like and that my original comment about the tattoos changing within even the same issue is correct. I've got 5 copies of Doctor Aphra #1 sitting in front of me right now and her tattoos look different on every variant cover.

For pants color, it changes throughout the Vader book. In earlier issues, they look way more gray than they do blue. Depends on how Delgado was feeling when he coloring that day, I guess. The pants I have are stretchy/tight but aren't denim and aren't legging/spandex material. 

EDIT: It's worth noting that the pants pictures used in the post a few up are from the very last issue from the comic and, if you'll notice, the vest is different than the one I'm discussing. Looks like it has a zipper enclosure and an entirely different front.

Also, regarding your other thread, Anna and I might be good friends and in the same garrison but we're not exactly interchangeable. ;)

Edited by chaosbria

Her pants look exactly like Han's in the comics (ok her entire outfit does).

attachicon.gifs-l500-1.jpg

On that, I would definitely not say that are denim and some the same fabric style as Han IRL but with a more fitted look made from a stretch fabric in the same dark or navy blue the RL call for in the CRL.

The hair length can be listed to be in the range of what the comics cover, from what I can tell to be between shoulder and chest length, but it does need to be black and it does need to state a hair length. Other CRLs do state color and length, as with Admiral Daala, Nyna Calixte, DoI Isard, and even our own Mara Jade and her variants. CRLs within TFE are being rewritten as we speak to take things like this into consideration.

I agree with Dawn about the thigh strap that attaches to the holster from the belt. It needs to hang more separately from the belt at an angle.

Since there are some pretty major discrepancies between the Vader comic version (which I'm assuming yours is based on with the vest design you have) and her standalone comic, it'll probably be a good idea to mention this and adjust the two CRLs accordingly, or break one CRL into two versions similar to how Tiers work for accuracy.

Example being

For Vader comic version: the vest is a simple fitted red form with epaulets located on the shoulders and no additional embellishments.

For Standalone version: the vest is a simple fitted red vest with two pockets located at the lower front of each side of the vest. There is also a piped seam outlining the front of the vest and extends from the bottom of the vest to the side seams and up to the chest.

Ohh you are right, i see it! Agree 100%

Edited by Amidala

I agree that at least 2 CRLs are needed for Aphra. (3 if you take into account the black/red jacket variation.) There's too much different between how Walker draws Aphra (solo book) and how Larroca does (Vader). I think that for this one/the Vader one, we can build the sleeve length and jacket into the CRL as optional since it's much closer to be the same outfit than the Walker/solo book one.

I'm following this thread with big interest, because I'm actually working on the version with the red and grey jacket. There are some more differents, the belt buckle and the neck of the t-shirt for exemple. I'm currently having the same problems as you have - our brave doc changes her outfit almost picture by picture. In the meantime there are so many different under-versions that I'm going slightly mad.

Edited by Tlana

I agree that at least 2 CRLs are needed for Aphra. (3 if you take into account the black/red jacket variation.) There's too much different between how Walker draws Aphra (solo book) and how Larroca does (Vader). I think that for this one/the Vader one, we can build the sleeve length and jacket into the CRL as optional since it's much closer to be the same outfit than the Walker/solo book one.

So, we can set them up as, "Doctor Aphra: Darth Vader Comic Edition" and, "Doctor Chelli Lona Aphra" as her standalone version since they expand on her name in the standalone comic. Both can have the jacket as an option, alone with the aviator cap, goggles, and for the one you're doing (Vader edition), it can also list the zipper you mentioned with the vest.

Both with have black hair color with a range between shoulder and chest length, with both including the, "loose, side-swept bangs".

For the tattoos, several drawn versions can be shown for reference like what Dawn did, and mention that,"something similar" be needed.

How's that sound?

I'm following this thread with big interest, because I'm actually working on the version with the red and grey jacket. There are some more differents, the belt buckle and the neck of the t-shirt for exemple. I'm currently having the same problems as you have - our brave doc changes her outfit almost picture by picture. In the meantime there are so many different under-versions that I'm going slightly mad.

Yup! Her shirt with the black/red jacket reads more like a t-shirt than a polo to me and it definitely doesn't help that that version of the outfit had Adi Granov covers and Deodato art in Vader Down. (She actually changes from the jacket to the vest between issues/artists and it drives me insane.)  I've been working on variations of this costume for almost a year and at various points, just thrown my hands up in the air with frustration because it's feelingly increasingly impossible to match everything on more than a page. 

As for the multiple CRLs, I don't think the red jacket should be listed with the solo book/Kev Walker version as I don't think we've seen her with it. (Although we HAVE seen a longer, red duster in that book.)  Also, we may not want to name it the Vader comic version since the black/red one Tlana wants to do originated from a Vader cover. 

I'm also against including the zipper in the CRL for the Vader version as I don't recall seeing it EXCEPT for those panels that Dawn posted and those are from the very last issue. 

• Like 1

Making observations (many already addressed) to clear up any confusion some may have. Feel free to agree or disagree. Please provide reference or proof.

1. There are 4 different/varient vest costumes.

2. Two of them are vastly different. From the cap to the holster. (This is ignoring the tattoo issue.) And that's "simple burgundy vest" and "Burgundy lined vest". (Or as noted above Vader comic and standalone)

3. There is no standard set for the tattoos - does someone have written evidence of this? I think we may need it.

4. For the "basic red vest" CRL an optional of red blanket stitched 1 inch apart lines OR a zipper optional can appear? I know it's only in a couple panels but someone could come through and try and have an entirely new crl made for a zipper and I vote we just take care of that now. :P

Edited by Amidala

Three of them are vastly different: standard red vest, standalone vest, and black/red jacket. Most of the other variations (zipper vest, short red jacket) can fall under the standard red vest CRL.  Related to this, would it be easier to refer to the versions based on the artist? The red vest originated from Larroca, Granov did the black/red jacket, and Walker does the standalone.

As far as written evidence goes for the tattoo thing, my communication with the editor was via a text message and I'm not entirely comfortable screenshoting that for here. 

Three of them are vastly different: standard red vest, standalone vest, and black/red jacket. Most of the other variations (zipper vest, short red jacket) can fall under the standard red vest CRL.  Related to this, would it be easier to refer to the versions based on the artist? The red vest originated from Larroca, Granov did the black/red jacket, and Walker does the standalone.

As far as written evidence goes for the tattoo thing, my communication with the editor was via a text message and I'm not entirely comfortable screenshoting that for here. 

When Im wording it im trying to think how an applicant would find it easiest. 

As a person thinking about "making" costumes if I looked up the CRL to see which Aphra Id want to do I would personally want to look up the variant by description and or color.

So using the names of the artists to refer to the costumes would be very confusing to an applicant and a GML when judging or making. Just my two cents. 

To make it easier on organization, when you are ready to start submitting to the Legion, please make a post here and it will make the LMOs job much easier!

http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forums/index.php?/forum/215-new-to-legion-costume-submissions/

On 3/5/2017 at 5:11 PM, chaosbria said:

Okay so no pictures at the moment since they're on my friend's phone and not mine (unless you want to see a very in character Aphra face of confusion) but I do have a proposed draft CRL. Am intending to submit for Legion approval soon.

Aviator Cap

• The aviator cap is light tan in color and made from leather or a leather like material and fits close to the costumer’s head

• A padded, circular shape sits on either side of the head over the ears with visible stitching around the edge where they connect to the cap

• The chin strap should have a functional buckle but is worn unbuckled

• Hair should be worn down and loose beneath the cap with at least some hair visible on the forehead/over the right eye.

Goggles

• The goggles are round in shape

• The frames of the goggles are a dark red that matches the color of the vest

• The frame should be made of plastic and not appear metallic.

• The strap should be either black or match the red of the goggles and be approximately ¾ of an inch wide

• The goggles should be worn on top of the costumer’s head and above the cap, approximately even with the hairline.

Optional: Goggles may be square in shape instead of round

Vest

• The vest should be a dark red in color and made from a medium weight fabric with no visible closures

• The back of the vest should be high and come up almost to the costumer’s neck

• The front of the vest should be angled inwards at approximately 45* and then go straight down. The angle change should be about even with the bottom of the split of the shirt.

• The vest is worn open with an approximately 4 inch gap between the two sides.

Shirt

• The shirt should be of a similar weight and cut to a fitted, short-sleeved polo with a popped collar

• Color can be white, off-white, or cream

Optional: A long sleeved shirt of the same cut may be substituted

Tattoo

• Tattoos (via sleeve, make-up, or otherwise) mimicking Aphra’s circuitry design in black must be on the right arm.

• These should be an assortment of straight lines which end in circles with a dot in the center

• The lines and circles are of equal width and be no wider than half a centimeter

Gloves

• Gloves are black, wrist-length, of a leather-like material, and fingerless

• The top side of the gloves have a rectangular red patch on the back made from similar material to the gloves.

Pants

• The pants should be plain and tight-fitting but NOT made of legging-like material

• Color should be either gray or a steel-blue

• Pockets are permitted

Boots

• The boots are black with low heels not higher than an inch

• No buckles or laces are visible. Zippers are permitted on the insides.

• The boots should be knee-high in height

Belt and Holster

• The belt is made from plain, undecorated brown leather and is 2 inches wide.

• The plain silver buckle is rectangular with rounded edges. It should sit flush with the belt, be 3 inches long, and only very slightly wider than the belt itself.

• The holster is made from the same plain brown leather. There should be one narrow strap to secure the blaster with a circular, silver snap to attach it.

• Two brown straps secure the holster to the belt and run to the buckle and the back-center of the belt respectively

Optional:

Jacket

• In place of a vest, a long sleeve red jacket may be worn

• The jacket should be looser fitting and of a similar shade of red to the vest

DL-44

• If present, the blaster should be an exact replica of a DL-44

Hi! Has the proposed CRL update been approved/posted? I'm making this costume for approval soon and wanted to be sure that I don't submit incorrectly. Thanks!