• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Seventh Sister - SW Rebels Inquisitor

Nefthys

Actually, the belt buckle can be made functional. If you use a cinch buckle inside the Kydex form, you can make the left side fixed (for the saber hip strap) and the right side where the greeblie is can be made adjustable to 2 or so inches with concealed snaps on the back of the outer belt. Any more and you'll probably have the greeblie off-position, but you could manage up to four inches adjustable if you wanted. Just line the belt and put the snaps on the lining. Because the functional buckle is under the Kydex form, you can still make the entire belt including the hip strap a single piece of leather, snugging the buckle right up to the strap on the left. (I'm making the belt out of tooling leather already, I've already got the tools and skill for that.) There's no rivets shown in the screenshots, though it's reasonable to think that that's an animation stylistic choice. -Kaylan

Its more of, we think it's kinda pointless to make the belt functional for us.  Unless you wanted to have the lightsaber attached to it, it really serves little purpose with how the top/coat is designed.  So we were just gonna probably do the belt as cosmetic mainly, as we like having a lit ligtsaber to carry around.

Edited by PanzerKraken

Ah, see, I'm going to have a bladeless saber to start - if I'm going to shell out for a blade, I'm saving my pennies up for a good long while and getting a combat capable one. So I'll likely wind up with two sabers in the long run. :) I've budgeted for resin molding the circle saber, but a combat blade with sound and lighting is too pricey for me for a few years yet.

Besides, I like working with leather and making things work when they really shouldn't. - Kaylan

I have a So cal garrison member out here that does a lot of sculpting and printing. He told me that hes currently working with someone else that wants the Seventh sister as well. He's going to sculpt a chest piece and offer it up for sale for those that need one. He's also going to 3D print the saber hilt. He's still in the process so no current ETA or more info than that, but it is in his list. He is also grabbing the helmet from ECHO. Speaking of, ECHO has finished the top portion of the helmet. One of his friends put together a costume for the Seventh sister in time for a convention. I'll post the picture.

No shes not going for 501st approval and was just going for the costume. I think it looks great. The chest was out of EVA foam and she made the undersuit herself
6043F3DE-9282-4C1F-92AE-AC80BD9BDA73_zps

Edited by GoGetterGreg

I've got Echo on my Facebook, it was easier to collaborate on the helmet design that way than through Etsy. :) I showed off the current photos of the helmet last night at our Garrison social, there was much oohing and ahhing. While I'm going to look into the saber hilt print, I'm kind of leaning more in the general direction of wanting mine more custom designed than a general sculpt allows for. I've odd proportions, and shoulders wide enough to wear men's sizes easily. Now, if one of the locals has a vacu-form machine...it might be more workable. (I'm not gonna try to ship a forming base...that's insane.) With no gap in the underarm area, I'm not sure how you'd make a general large/medium/small form set for her armor. Maybe I'm missing something because I know fabric better than armor? She's got that white rectangle on the lower side front on both sides, perhaps that's an external fastener rather than a decorative shape? - Kaylan

That 7th came out alright, obviously lot of details missing or things needing changed.

As for the problem with the armor sizing, yea even if someone makes armor and sells it, it will be tough to size it.  We had that issue with two of our local Bo Katans, as KW who made the armor made them for a tall and busty female, so both our ladies struggled with having to get the kit to fit them, and that was for segmented armor bits.  7th Sister armor is nearly flush to the body and wraps around with no seam, it needs to essentially be made to the person's size and going to be hard to produce to sell.  The girl who did the eva foam armor pictured has two open gaps/seams on the side of the armor, it looks like she just puts it on like a T-Shirt.  For 501st that's not gonna work likely, those seams have to be almost nonexistant and will need to clasp together somehow.  We are doing a prototype with eva foam right now to see what we can do, but also gonna try Sintra armor custom fit to us since waiting on someone to make armor will take a while, and the sizing is an issue with this particular costume.

We got our saber coming now so we plan on getting the saber parts done once we have it in hand for better sizing.  The angle lines will not appear when printed, they are just where parts are attached, but will be seamless outside of where we want.  General shape is done, just need to add in some detailing.  The unique inscribing on the saber guard will likely have to be painted on by hand as it doesn't really look carved on.  The 3D parts should be able to work with several types of sabers, we are doing only a single blade style on our but a double bladed style should fit fine.

24635136642_3024b35222_o.jpg

We have also full designed the ID-9 seeker droids for printing.  Plan is to have them poseable so we can have them on the 7th Sister like in the show.  LED to be installed with a lense for the glowing red eyes.

24659433391_ed1f13a5cc_z.jpg

We got the buckle and belt greebles done and printed, we got the gauntlet greeble in the works.  We will post up the greebles for sale if folks are interested in them.

Edited by PanzerKraken

Hi! I´m Klipsa from the Spanish Garrison!  :-)

I´m working on this new proyect,

I´ve ordered the helmet to ECHO and now I work on a resin armor.

What about the fabrics??? Anything about the boots?

Thanks a lot!!!!!

I put some notes on the boots in my tentative CRL workup. They're a low heel, about an inch, with a red line around the heel and over the top of the foot. There's a separate piece of shin armor, at least that's what it looks like in every picture I've seen. I have some reference photos of the boots pulled from the show in the photo folder - those are all screenshots from the show.

As for fabric, I'm using the Imperial officer CRL guides for type of fabric, a gabardine weave (it's a tight-woven twill), in a dark charcoal grey with a burgundy lining. I haven't found the right one yet, I've got some swatches to order still. I'd tend to suggest a light twill or sturdy cotton for the lining. I did find a good stretch microsuede for the gloves on Ebay - I can give the link, but I'm not sure that they ship to Spain. The cowl/wimple under the helmet and around the neck is going to be easiest as a stretch material, probably a heavy Ponte de Roma to keep the shape of the triangles best. The color match on this is going to be tricky unless we can find a matching stretch gabardine, it may need to be dyed to match. And it'll need a synthetic-specific dye if it is.

I'm still undecided know how to attach the white portions of the tunic. The red trim on the pants is a military trouser braid, you should be able to get that at most online surplus stores. Right now I'm leaning towards an applique of white gabardine, matching fabric, for the stripes and dots on the tunic, and possibly a patch for the Imperial insignia on the shoulders. I could make an applique work, but I'm not sure it would look right. - Kaylan

Thanks for all the information... It´s really useful.

Do you think the fabric should be made of lycra so that it fits better to the wearer or better in a gabardine weave fabric?

I´ve got an imperial boots (Juno Eclipse) and I´ve thought about adapting them to the Seventh Sister... How do you find it?

And another question... what about the approval in the 501st???

The fabric should be whatever works for you that looks right, don't need a crl to have a specific fabric listed for an animated character, as there is no way to properly translate 3d Rendered textures to a fabric.  As with Clone Wars crl costumes when they were being developed, the topic of fabric was left vague, typically fabrics were left up to maker preference with just vague elements such as deathwatch (tough fabric, or leather like material).  The nature and unrealistic nature of 3D rendered characters makes things difficult to pin point, so do whatever works closest to the visual reference.  But in no way should a CRL for an animated character require a specific fabric used.

The boots do have a wrap around shin like cover, it's very similar in concept to how Agent Kallus has his shin "armor/wraps".  The one approved Agent Kallus in the legion did similar leg shins using EVA foam simply and it worked fine.

501st approval is not on the table until someone can actually make the costume, get approved by a GML, and a CRL written up.  It will be a while before that happens most likely.

Edited by PanzerKraken

We now have the 7th Sister greebles available to purchase on shapeways.  Some are available in different sizes for you to play with what works best for the size of the costumer.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/keltaria?section=Props+%26amp%3B+Greeblies&s=0

First lot here on this forum!

I've been working on the Seventh Sister helmet and mask for a short while now.

Currently in the bondo stage, smoothing things out until I get the basic shape. Then I'll be sculpting in the details.

image.jpeg

Got the first coat of primer on it now to catch all of the spots that still need to be filled to reduce the air bubbles.

image_1.jpeg

Anybody see the photo of the Seventh Sister yesterday? Someone said it was approved but it is missing so much.

Red the sole of the boots, red on the palms, can't see the neck seal that should be ribbed or pleated, lightsaber is same shape but missing the etched detailing on the ring, and the second belt strap that should have the saber clip.

Anybody see the photo of the Seventh Sister yesterday? Someone said it was approved but it is missing so much. Red the sole of the boots, red on the palms, can't see the neck seal that should be ribbed or pleated, lightsaber is same shape but missing the etched detailing on the ring, and the second belt strap that should have the saber clip.

If you mean the one on the RPF FB page, yes - she mentioned that she's planning on submitting it, but has several things to finish before submission that she doesn't have time to do before the *con* she's wearing it to. So she knows she's missing things. (Yes, I'm still working on mine, life has been a little insane lately!) -Kaylan

Can only be so tight really, or it realistically wont be able to be worn by human beings.  The armor parts especially in the show are pretty much skin tight and flush to the body, but it's unrealistic to make actual armor like that, as its nearly impossible to take on and off as well as being able to move without it coming apart on you.  So some spacing is to be expected from real versions of the costume.

As for this supposed approval, it looks good, but yea it's strange that its approved missing some obvious aspects like the red on the glove palms.

Looking at a comparison between the animation style of the Imperial officer uniforms and the Seventh Sister's outfit, I don't think that it's skin tight at all. It's not baggy, no - it IS snug-fitting. But no more snug-fitting than an Imperial officer's uniform, I would say. I'd tend to recommend perhaps a bit tighter and using a stretch material if possible, but if not I'd suggest the Imperial officer fit standard - the animation style is the same, and the pants *clearly* blouse out a bit over the boots and shin armor. Something skin-tight will not do that, it's not possible. So it *can't* be skin-tight.

It should be noted that the person commenting that it was approved isn't even in Maya's *garrison* - she's on the other side of the country. (I'm in the Dune Sea Garrison area too.) Maya herself says that she hasn't even submitted it for approval - we chatted a bit about what fabrics she used because I wanted to pick her brain on where she got them. Sadly, it was a local store that isn't in my area. It can't possibly be approved if she hasn't submitted it yet. 

-Kaylan

Straight legs and some semi form fitting sleeves for the jacket is really want I think would be a realistic achievement. Because we are dealing with cartoon characters, we're never going to achieve 100% accuracy with fabric weave, color and fitting. But we can get pretty close!

And yeah, with that comment of approval, I was shocked. Just sitting there thinking "how?" with my arms raised.

Edited by Crusader
  • Like 1