• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Sion

JEFF4i

Hi all!

So I am starting Darth Sion. This will be The Force Unleashed Sion.   

I will post pictures this weekend, but I already have boots, somewhat gloves (need to make the long one, haha), my obi, and his skirt piece.  For the upper body I am having the abdomen done as part of a bodysuit with muscle over it, then "skin" and vein, then latex, then airbrush.  I also need to finish making his attachments for the belt, those pieces that hang down.

Anyway, pictures coming this weekend!

All the best,

Jeff

Now, with pictures!  (Pic Heavy Even)

First, reference images:

icm_fullxfull.68729246_knzc9prbsdwck00gk

tumblr_m8z34bGVz61qina4lo1_1280_zpsdretm

I will upload more, but you get the general idea.

Here's the body so far...

12079143_743153675789964_505187217249286

12074717_743153712456627_667783952252617

12039314_743153455789986_561567044096448

I'll have face pictures tomorrow, maybe Tuesday!

My Obi...

Obi_zpsvyvshn4q.jpg

I have a plain skirt that I am going to cut into 4 panels and "fray" "battle damage"

Skirt_zpsdfageqrm.jpg

I also have some funtasma Anakin boots.  I'm taking those panels out and the straps off, which will be replaced by 8 leather straps.  Pics to follow tomorrow (or Tuesday).

71pf8plfp2L._UY395_.jpg

Finally, he has those things hanging off of his belt, and along with his skirt.  I am waiting until last to design those, because they are the most "body dependent" on everything else.  But I already have some dark black pleather, and dark red leather for the base.  Those will be the last pics posted.

All feedback welcome!

Oh, also I've ordered a whiteout contact for my right eye, and the gloves are standard black gloves, one gauntlet wrist and one all the way past elbow, the longer with leather straps similar to the boots.

Good evening,

The Darth Sion you are referencing is a spare game skin from The Force Unleashed. The model itself is not used in any other meaningful way in that game’s story.

Perhaps it is too late to persuade you, but I would like introduce forum readers to the Darth Sion of the Knights of the Olde Republic, the Sith Lord who cut off Darth Traya’s left hand and haunted the Jedi Exile’s movements in that saga;
Sion_Korriban.jpg
1259204-dsionkorriban.jpg
215515.jpg

Sion1.jpg

My point is, Darth Sion was introduced in Knights of The Olde Republic as above. His character was given life, and SW fans came to know him through his words and actions in KOTOR. I would recommend this appearance over the player skin mod from KOTOR, but I that is only my preference.

The purpose of this Detachment is to encourage Expanded Universe costuming, and where applicable, guide interested individuals toward reference and review that might result in an approved 501st costume.

For The Force Unleashed Darth Sion player skin, let us consider full reference images.

One has to be careful when researching this model, there are fan-made mods of this skin for pc versions of KOTOR that do not precisely reflect the character as created for The Force Unleashed.

Also, there are The Olde Republic Darth Sion tribute armour offerings which are not currently considered for 501st membership.

This has been the best image I have found of the full model, built by our good friend Manny Lamas

sion_viewport_full_zpsfglb6lx4.jpg

Manny is very approachable. Periodically he responds to posting on The Force Unleashed costuming group on FB and may be able to provide you with additional details on his model.

From what I see, the boots used here continue to use the horizontal strapping of the KOTOR Darth Sion. 

Please share any further reference images (and their origin) here.

Be well and good costuming to you.

Thank you for the stellar input Clone Emperor! I've been pretty cautious to only use images from the official works, but the warning is definitely appreciated.

Also,I agree that I should focus on his KOTOR iteration first, and so I am. Will have more pictures this weekend!

Updated pictures, shooting for KoTOR to begin!  Glove on its way for right arm (to go all the way up). I will also take better light higher res pics, haha.

Also have makeup for around my eyes.

temporary_zpsr4enmoqe.jpg

temporary_zpso5oifmff.jpg

temporary_zpstbgdly0c.jpg

The boots with straps!  Spacing was a little weird, but i didn't feel like taking this picture again. haha

hairylegs_zpsddic40ig.jpg

The glove's little...tags.  In KoTOR there aren't full straps actually designed, so i went for as close as possible with tags.

Glove_zps0pnwps2n.jpg

And now...full me!  Better resolution too.

SionFront_zpsm8kyj58g.png

Good evening,

Your costume’s body seems to be based on Manny Llamas’s interpretation of Darth Sion from The Force Unleashed;

sion_viewport_full_zpsfglb6lx4.jpg

Here is the definitive render of KOTOR II Darth Sion.

darth%20sion%20all%20views_zpsguvgjjek.j

And here are the texture maps used to skin the model’s details;
N_SionH_zpsjm77ofxz.jpgN_SionA_zpslewshsz5.jpg
From here we can start to make out greater detail of what the KOTOR character involves.

KOTOR DS Clothes
1. Pants. Not straight legged but harem style flowing. Try looking up sarouel.
2. Boots. Black high calf Jack boots with seven straps and silver hardware. Straps should look substantial. I recommend getting a few lengths of belt material, possibly from Tandy Leather.
3. Tara. Kendo term. Similar to tasset in Western armour. In both models this is heavily embossed leather, with black islands on a blood red field. 
4. Sash. Not a Darth Maul belt, but a leather like sash, taking on the shape of a weight lifter’s belt.
5. Left gauntlet. Black leather, fitted to mid forearm
6. Right arm. Black leather, fitted to top of bicep not unlike an opera glove. Has eight straps with silver hardware. (Download full image for detail) Straps should look substantial. I recommend getting a few lengths of belt material, possibly from Tandy Leather.

KOTOR DS Muscle suit
1. Starting with an anatomically accurate base, a defined network of cracks in the flesh define this character. Darth Sion is literally held together by his mastery of hate. (Darth Sion Lord of Pain) Prominent spinal details suggest alternate solution to zipper down the back. Done right, this would likely first require a sculpture, then a mold and experimentation with material casting. One of the reasons not many have attempted this character. As an example of the kind of body suit built I suggest try this posting on the Replica Props Forum;

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=149289

chest302.jpg

2. Face. Again KOTOR DS has deep cracks in his face like broken chinaware. Start with anatomically correct bald head, then match the reference scarring.
CFX makes silicone masks. They even do custom orders. It is not cheap. (Silicone is why Darth Maul and The Emperor masks are approved for the 501st.) 
Check out their catalogue for inspiration here; 
http://compositeeffects.com/mystore/index.php?route=common/home
arnold_mask_01-500x600.jpg

These are my recommendations. Thankfully, I do not approve costumes for the 501st anymore. You may find different approaches. This represents my best pitch for bringing the character to Life.

Be well,
Thomas

Absolutely fantastic work. There is a mantra that holds true in the cosplay world. Build what makes you happy don't worry about membership to any club. I would love to see a Darth Sion first in the Legion. I think it would be awesome. Thomas brings up great points with your build. I've seen builds get done and torn apart only to restart and do it again. You have a great build. And it something to be proud of. If you want to submit for approval, do it. I will warn you Legion Firsts are hyper - criticized. So be prepared for that. I am on my phone so I can't see too many details. But the one that stands out is the bust/neck seam. Also, the chest does seem to be too big for the head.

Great job. Really great job!