• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Jersey Acolyte build (MyNock kit)

laptopluke8846

Hi everyone. Wanted to share my current MyNock kit build progress.

Still working on the cod/Ab section and belt. Just need to attach them together with the pouches and canister.

Expecting the foot armor soon. Using a pair of loafer style shoes that will be converted using the ABS foot parts.

The robe is currently being worked on by a friend of mine. She's making a first version out of muslin so we get the fit and overall design down. Then she'll take that one and use it to make the final version out of blizzard fleece. I liked the feel  of this material and the way it hangs.

Really enjoying working on this and looking forward to final approval hopefully within the next few months!

2015-08-26%2021.37.39_zpslvlofiis.jpg

2015-08-26%2021.37.51_zps96t09rvy.jpg

2015-08-26%2021.38.00_zpsk21bjcdn.jpg

2015-08-26%2021.38.08_zpso1at8zqs.jpg

Nice progress :)

Is it your paintjob with grey/silver or is the kit in this colours?

Feel lucky, he don't sell many kits unfortunately. My decide to buy it was too late  :doh:I hope he will make more in the near future. :D

Hey Chris, thanks man! This kit is the cold cast with Aluminum that Mynock explains in his thread. The aluminum layer can be buffed and shined to give it that metallic look. I used a very lite grit sand paper to begin with then used #000 steel wool and finally a #0000 finishing steel wool for buffing. Then added some black acrylic painting for weathering. I used the steel wool to clean some of that up. Doing that brought it all together for the look I was trying to achieve. 

Yeah I was one of the first to stick with him while going through the building/casting phase of his early armor casts. I actually have 2 original v1 parts to this build which he has since upgraded..the elbows and chest. The mask is a version 4 but will be looking to upgrade to a v5. For approval though I'm sticking with what I have for now. Yes he's very busy with catching up on existing orders and getting some new projects completed but that doesn't mean he's not going to stop making this kit. :)  Hopefully he'll quit his job and do this full time (ok maybe not Taras) ;)

Thanks Keith. Appreciate the encouragement.

Here's an update adding the Cod/AB section:

I painted the rubber using acrylic paints. I was having a tough time painting the rubber with different spray paints. Finally after cleaning it off and starting over, I lightly sanded the surface of the rubber with fine grit sand paper and then applied the acrylic paint (silver and a black wash over it after drying). Instead of a brush however, I used a cloth soaked with the paint and rubbed it into the rubber. It adhered immediately and dried very quickly. The result was a very robust coating and holds very well. 

IMG_1797_zpsmncfigxf.jpg

IMG_1798_zpsib0x5w7t.jpg

IMG_1799_zpsuaoss01t.jpg

Will it scrape off? Probably but not overly concerned because this area will not get a lot of exposure to bangs/bumps etc..like the hands, forearms, shins and feet will. I also applied a layer of foam to the inside of the chest plate to prevent any additional rubbing. I wore it around the house a bit with the chest plate and nothing happened to the paint so fingers crossed. 

I attached the buckle/pouches and canister by screwing right through the rubber into the piece from the back. I used two screws for each piece. These are not coming off thats for sure. To prevent stress on the pouches and canister I added a large rivet and washer to each side through the rubber and then another right after it with a nylon webbing strap from the back. This will keep all the stress off these external parts and keep the belt on there nice and solid. The belt was an old thick canvas belt from a consignment shop. Its canvas so acrylics also worked well with it. This was painted gray. 

IMG_1800_zps7fikzgcn.jpg

Edited by laptopluke8846
  • Like 1