• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

A New Apperentice appears

DasOgre

hello dark lords I beseech thee hoping to get some answers on doing a Darth Nihilus

1. How much material ( I have chosen to use raw silk for this) will I need to pull off the COTF version?

2. Whats the best route as to getting boots or what type of boots should I be looking for?

3. where or who knows where to get the studs for the belt?

The boots can be any plain black leather boots as long as laces or buckles don't show when you have the skirts on.  I use a pair of knee high pirate boots that double up as my Nihilus boots.

I bought all of the belt components, dye and tools at a Tandy Leather near me.  I used a 2" wide cowhide belt and a 1/2" black leather strip for the middle belt and dyed it with USMC black.  I went with a nickel plated two prong buckle for extra security.

https://www.tandyleather.com/en-usd/home/department/hardware/11311-17.aspxis what I used for my belt studs.  Just punch a hole where you want it and it has threads on the stud that screw into a plate that holds it on.

• Like 1

Hello! 

1. Amount of material you will need roughly depends on your size, but most COTF Nihilus costumes need about 20 yards. I am 5'8" and 180 pounds and I needed 18 yards for mine. If you are taller or bulkier, then you need more fabric. I hope that gives you a good idea for a starting point at least. 

2. Get boots that will be comfy first and foremost. After that, any black boot that does not have visible laces or buckles are acceptable. This will come down to your price range. You can get very expensive or fairly reasonable boots. I found some great black boots in a second hand store. 

Here are some boot ideas to look at: 

http://imperialboots.com/products/millenium-boots/

http://imperialboots.com/products/jack-boots/

http://imperialboots.com/products/dark-lord-boots/

http://imperialboots.com/products/id-boots/

3. You can get the black studs from Tandy Leather. 

http://www.tandyleather.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/11309-17.aspx

I hope that helps you start on your path to the dark side. ;) 

Cheers,

Nef

• Like 1

Dark Lords I once again seek your guidance

I want to make sure that this is suitable pattern to use to make my tunics or if there is another better pattern out there for them

its is simplicity #5840

That is the pattern I used to make my Nihilus. You will have to make some adjustments, but it is a good pattern to start with. 

Cheers,

Nef

I have officially begun my journey into the Dark arts

I just ordered my black out mask and gauntlets

Mwahaha! Excellent! 

I would recommend My Wicked Armor for the hard mask as that's who did mine, but I haven't gotten an email response back from him in several months as I was looking for a Revan mask for display so I'm not sure if he's taking orders anymore.

I have currently talked to a member from the Canada Garrison  who is currently in the process of building a stock of masks and hood/cowl apparatus and that they should be starting to take orders in early September and it is a very good looking mask 

• Like 1

I have currently talked to a member from the Canada Garrison  who is currently in the process of building a stock of masks and hood/cowl apparatus and that they should be starting to take orders in early September and it is a very good looking mask 

If it is someone who can keep a supply going I would be interested to see yours.  I've also been looking to get an extra Nihilus mask, both for display and just in case mine breaks.

Moonbase Creations on facebook also make a KOTOR Nihilus mask that is excellent. 

If you want to take your costume to the next level, you can always have the correct mask with the correct robes. At the moment, either the KOTOR or COTF mask are approvable with either set of robes. But if you wish to be super keen on the detail level, there are actually 2 different masks for each set of robes. The COTF mask is the one with the pronounced cheek bones, shorter length and more skull like (My Wicker Armor style mask). Where as the KOTOR mask is much more smooth, longer and less skull like (Moonbase Creations & Khro's Nest style). Moonbase Creations will be offering both style masks soon. They are working on a COTF one. 

Again, either mask will get you approved, but I would suggest going that extra step and matching the right mask with the right robes. ;) 

Cheers,

Deez

That is a shame to hear. I don't know what I would do if my sewing machine died on me. Probably cry in a corner rocking back and forth, haha! 

I hope you can get it back up and running eventually and we see another Nihilus amoung our ranks in the future. 

they have a facebook page that goes by Khro's nest and they make some pretty cool stuff other than the nihilus mask

Awh, thanks for the kind words! :D We will be opening for masks this weekend!

Nef is correct, our mask is the KOTOR style. My Nihilus build is KOTOR mask and COTF body, because I like the two aspects of each best - personally. We are fortunate to be able to do that with Nihilus. :)

Eek! I hope you can get your sewing machine up and running again soon - can't wait to see progress pics of your build! I've seen sewing machines at thrift stores for cheap, also maybe try your local kijiji/craigslist/etc sites. There are also some facebook groups for free items people don't want called 'Buy Nothing [your local city/town]' - might be able to get lucky there too.

ok so I heard from the people who I gave my machine to be serviced to and it is with heavy heart that I inform yall that the machine that has served my family for over half a century has finally been laid to rest come to find out that the service center cant get the parts to fix the model that made many a costume for me and my extended family everything from my cousins disny princess costumes to mighty morphing power rangers and beyond it served us well

You mean the cloth belt?  Mine is the same fabric that is 4 inches wide (CRL says 10 cm, so roughly 4") but it was 8" wide and folded over in half and sewn so it's two layers to give extra durability.  Mine is long enough that I tie it off in the back, though I do plan to sew some velcro to it at some point as the knot makes the leather belt slide up and down a bit too much.

• Like 1

I did something similar in that it is a double layer of the fabric I used for the robes. I added metal eyelets at the back seems and lace it up like a corset. That way it is a little bit adjustable if someone larger or smaller is trying out my costume. 

• Like 2