• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Nihilus WIP

kracker98

Working on putting the final touches on the costume now.  I've started working on the weathering of the fabric and I've started gluing fabric to the crown piece and a elastic strap to the mask.

I'm guessing I'll be all done within a few days.  Hopefully I'll have pictures of the final product up soon.

Thank you again to everyone for your help.

I've finally finished the crown piece.  I've put it together with the mask and I think it turned out alright.20151124_171549_zpsotdbk7dq.jpg

The knot isn't finished yet, but the rest is.  Please let me know what you guys think.

I've finally finished the crown piece.  I've put it together with the mask and I think it turned out alright.20151124_171549_zpsotdbk7dq.jpg

The knot isn't finished yet, but the rest is.  Please let me know what you guys think.

Picture is a little blurry, but it looks great so far. :) 

Cheers,

Nef

Your black mask seems a little short, make sure you have a shirt with a high enough collar to make up for that.  I mention it because I forgot my usual undershirt at my last troop and had to keep pulling down on the black mask to keep my neck from showing.

Costume looks great kracker98 and congrats on your approval. I am working on my Nihilus build as well. Just received my mask recently, and it came unpainted. Been looking around at pictures and other builds for reference but still really unsure what paint color and type to use for the mask and headpiece. Could you offer any advice? Also trying to track down options on robes. Don't really have a means to sew but if I could get ahold of the templates and what cloth to use I could get someone to sew it. Again, any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I purchased the mask already painted so I can't really help you there.

For fabric I used Black Raw Silk.  I know some people have used a type of linen but I'm not sure what kind.

For templates on the tunics I used Simplicity pattern 5840.  Just leave the sleeves off of the tunic.

A great reference site that I used for the costume is http://chucrew.com/Nihilus/nihilus.html

Good luck with you costume!

Kracker98 I found a simplicity 5840 pattern on etsy. Can you view the link and verify if this is the same thing you used? Also, does this patter only account for the inner or outer tunic? What was your method for the robe/hood/obi/sleeves? Thanks again.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/195274508/star-wars-jedi-robe-spock-star-trek?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_c-craft_supplies_and_tools-other&utm_custom1=8c28b511-5e38-4ead-b1e7-f7c82d462b39&gclid=CMrEjoio_MkCFdgVgQodSBIJgw

Yes that is the pattern I used.  For the sleeves we just tore the sleeves off of an old dress shirt and copied them.

For the hood, obi, and everything else I just followed the directions on the website I linked before.

DasOgre, what are you doing about your mask? Are you making it or buying it already made? What are your ideas on the pain color/type for the mask itself and the jewelry headpiece?

That doesn't bother me as I'll be airbrushing mine to be quite honestly I want two of them one to be the standard mask that we always seen and another to be more weathered and worn looking to give the actual look of bone