• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Nihilus WIP

kracker98

So after a few months of trying to get my Nihilus costume started and having to delay, the day is finally here!  I have all the fabric and, with the help of my wife, the sewing will commence :)  I'll start posting pictures of the project when I am able to.

We decided to start by making some parts of the costume in Muslin so that we don't waste the good fabric on attempts to get it right.  Initial attempt at making the tunic in Muslin has turned out great and we should be working with the real thing soon.  Stay tuned!

• Like 1

Glad to have another Nihilus being created! I look forward to seeing the progress on your costume. 

Cheers,

Nef

Progress has been made!!!!  Every time I think I'm about to get going something seems to delay me but things are finally going in the right direction.

Pretty much all of the patterns have been cut out and most have started to get sewn.  Hopefully I'll have pictures on that soon

Got a box in the mail today with these in it!20150824_222941_zpsisjep18a.jpg20150824_222920_zpsm8zed8uz.jpg

Big thank you to Pam for making these for me.  Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to put them together with the cape :)

One of the next steps in the process will be the belt.  I'm probably going to need some help with that as I've never really put a belt together before.  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes it is a Pam and Scott mask.  I love the look of it for the COTF version on Nihilus and it's way better than anything I could have ever made :)  I've been heavily using their guide along with the forums here.

Sorry for the delay in response and posting progress pictures.  My wife and I just got back from a 4 day vacation in Las Vegas yesterday.  Pictures will hopefully be up by the weekend and I look forward to all the feedback I can get. 

Thank God the month of September is over.  I've been so ridiculously busy this month that I haven't been able to get much progress done.  Thankfully that has all changed now and I'm finally getting close to having it finished.

20150930_194507%20450x800_zpsdgq7guhv.jp

20150930_194520%20450x800_zpsujnjqjsi.jp

20150930_194528%20450x800_zps0k6py3oa.jp

Hopefully everything is looking up to par.  I know the skirt is a little long but that will get adjusted when I do the weathering.  The other skirt is almost finished as well and I should have a picture of that up soon.  I also got the outer tunic finished but don't have a photo of it yet.

Next I need to start getting some of the accessory pieces.  I found these gloves and boots on ebay, please let me know what you guys think about them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171054688953?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=470259601568&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400575485687?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=670140425430&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Lastly I could really use some tips and pointers on how to make the belt.  Thanks everyone.

Robes are looking great! Nice even quilting lines on the sleeves. 

Those gloves and boots will work fine for Nihilus, good find. 

As for the belt, you can find everything you need at Tandy Leather. You'll need 2 belt blanks, the larger one should be about 3 inches wide, and the smaller one 1 inch wide. The smaller belt blank gets contact cemented (glued) down on top of the larger one in the centre. Next you will need to dye the belts black. Then you add in the black studs evenly spaced along the belt. I used 8 studs on my belt. Lastly you will need a way to close it at the back. The choice is up to you, some people use industrial velcro, some use lacing, I used a regular belt buckle I bought at Tandy. I hope this helps, if you have any more specific questions about the belt, just ask! 

Cheers,
Nef

Robes are looking great! Nice even quilting lines on the sleeves. 

Those gloves and boots will work fine for Nihilus, good find. 

As for the belt, you can find everything you need at Tandy Leather. You'll need 2 belt blanks, the larger one should be about 3 inches wide, and the smaller one 1 inch wide. The smaller belt blank gets contact cemented (glued) down on top of the larger one in the centre. Next you will need to dye the belts black. Then you add in the black studs evenly spaced along the belt. I used 8 studs on my belt. Lastly you will need a way to close it at the back. The choice is up to you, some people use industrial velcro, some use lacing, I used a regular belt buckle I bought at Tandy. I hope this helps, if you have any more specific questions about the belt, just ask! 

Cheers,

Nef

The CRL specifies that the main belt is 5 cm or 2 inches and the narrow strap be 1.2 cm or 1/2 inch.  I used USMC black dye from Tandy to color the rawhide base and used a buckle from them to close it.  The rawhide belt is tough enough to stand up to years of use.

Go with the measurements in the CRL. I have been making a lot of Jedi belts lately and keep getting my measurements mixed up.

Scout out your local thrift store too for belts - I was able to find black leather belts of perfect widths for both pieces. Came to $7 total for them both and they are pre-weathered!

Painted the buckle black on the wider one, glued the thinner one on (after cutting off the ends) and added the leather studs from Tandy (referenced here already) and done! It's adjustable and the buckle works well , I do it up in the front and then just spin it to my back so I can do it myself no problem.

• Like 1

Here are a couple pictures of the skirt.

20151007_184217_zpsxymegyg1.jpg

20151007_184239_zpsridrgd0r.jpg

Let me know what you think.  Also I got my boots in today and they fit great.  Gloves should be here tomorrow and I ordered everything to make the belt.

Ok, all but one thing is sewn now so I'm almost done.  I have everything to make the belt so I've started working on that.  I have a new question for everyone.  Did everyone attach the mask to the crown piece and if so how did you do that?

Thanks

To attach my mask to the crown, first I added an elastic band to the mask to go around my head and keep it on securely. Then at the top of the mask on the back I glued 2 snaps, the other half of the snaps I sewed onto the middle front of the crown fabric. So I put the mask on with the elastic, then snap it onto the fabric crown so it stays in place. 

Here is a picture of the snaps: http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn275/Neptheen/2013-11-18140207_zps49785bea.jpg

Cheers,

Nef

I have the elastic band and at first had velcro glued to the mask and sewn to the front of the hood.  Though it didn't take long for the velcro to start to fail so I put snaps into the two velcro pieces and us that to attach and the elastic band helps keep it stable.