• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

My Darth Revan

Darth_redbeard

http://rs12.pbsrc.com/albums/a225/austinhartwell88/Mobile%20Uploads/20150713_175139_zpsycismlhi.jpg~320x480

I threw this on really quick. So I know it's not perfect nor submission materal. The one big problem I'm having is with the hood and how the shoulders keep riding up. Anyone have a solution for this?

What I do is when I pin the cowel/shoulder section together behind the chest armour I also pull my shirt up under the armour and pin it to the shirt at the same time. I do this so when I go an pull my shirt back down after pinning it it pulls the cowel/shoulder section down and keeps it down. Mind you, in the future I am going to attach a velcro section on my shirt at the correct hight And have it velcro to the cowel.

• Like 1

What I do is when I pin the cowel/shoulder section together behind the chest armour I also pull my shirt up under the armour and pin it to the shirt at the same time. I do this so when I go an pull my shirt back down after pinning it it pulls the cowel/shoulder section down and keeps it down. Mind you, in the future I am going to attach a velcro section on my shirt at the correct hight And have it velcro to the cowel.

I was thinking velcro too. But I don't know how to sew. Do you think if I glue a snap to the armor and snap the bottom cloth of the cowl it would hold in the mean time?

I was thinking velcro too. But I don't know how to sew. Do you think if I glue a snap to the armor and snap the bottom cloth of the cowl it would hold in the mean time?

I do not put stock on anything that will have any weight on it bearing up if it is only attached by glue. Every time I've tried, it's fallen apart- usually when it was most inconvenient.

Sewing is not hard, at least not the kind of sewing you have to do to attach Velcro. Very simple stitches that go up/down through all layers will do it. But hand stitching Velcro is painful. Give a shout out to your friends/family. Almost certainly one of then can teach you enough to be able to do this.

I'm implementing a system with the hood so I don't have to sew anything.  I bought two of these fabric clips, one with black elastic instead of white.  They're designed to gather a shirt at the back.  The clasps are rubber and won't tear the fabric.  I'm going to use the black one to hold where I want the hood to gather at mid-chest under the armor.  I'm going to remove the elastic on the other one so I can just use the clips, one on each shoulder side where I want the outside edges of the hood to stay in place under the armor.  I can pre-clip them where I want them and reach under the armor to hook them where I want them clipped in place on the other part of the fabric.  Hope that makes sense. 

3ba52a27-b579-453f-871c-3da3780a49b0_zps

No sewing or gluing.  The hooks can easily be readjusted and additional elastic can be added for length, though I don't need this myself. 

Great suggestion L.    

Even a quick whip-stitch of a small piece of velcro can be a great addition to get something to stay where you want, but those 'fashion' clips are pretty innovative, and would be a good way to have something stay in place.  I may try some on my outfit.  Much less likely to cause me to bleed than using safety pins.

I tried out the fashion clips, but found they would need to be secured to the armor or one of the straps.  I'm pondering a system to secure them.  I do want to use them. 

In the meantime I'm stitching small pieces of Velcro instead to see if I like that better.  I'm stitching the small pieces of Velcro onto fabric that can then be tacked with a few stitches onto the hood.  That way, I can easily change out the fabric pieces that have the Velcro and not tear up my hood fabric.  I'm going to try a bit of Velcro attached to the inside of the armor in the center of the chest so that the bottom end of the pleated wrap fabric can be secured there, holding my pleats.  I am also going to try putting attach points to the underside of the hood hem where the hood and the wrap meet and front most, with another point to hold the upper part of the pleat wrap that will tuck.  If I like this, I'll share photos.