• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

My how to attach a baldcap guide.

Guest Sakara

Been looking into the need for a bald cape, so the type you used will help, and sealing the edges, would spirit gum work?

Other question is, how did ya get yer hair though, did you brain it first and then pull it through as you slid the cap on, or did ya place the cap then pull the hair though?

Thanks, everyone.

This one was just for practice and know-how. I get emails and PM's from folks asking about bald cap application every now and then, usually for Ventress or lifecasting, so it helps to know what I'm talking about when I answer them. This was my third bald cap application, and I think I'm finally starting to get better with experience. After I had my cap application practice and we experimented with the ponytail, Scott then used it for lifecasting practice. He's learning how to use alginate, so we made a partial head cast. Alginate takes some experience to figure out how it works, so it was a good chance for him to practice without being in a rush for a certain project.

This one was a woochie cap, which I had never used before. We found that the blending edges in the front were pretty good, but there were clumps of rough latex every here and there on the cap, and it was a bit too big in the back. We really had to fight the extra material back there. I applied the cap with spirit gum (which is okay for short term projects, but isn't very good for full-day stuff) and then sponge stipled three thin coats of liquid latex over the edges to blend them.

Pam :-)

Guest Sakara

You can use Maxim on the face apparently.Or

Try looking for a product from Mehron called "No Sweat Skin Prep".

Guest Anonymous

Thank you so much. I looked online for Sweat Stop and it was going to be something like $50 to have the smallest size mailed to me. I tried to find alternatives, but I kept finding fun websites about new clinical trials for medical extreme sweating cures. Not exactly what I was looking for... I'll be trooping in humid New Orleans so sweating off my makeup is definitely a concern.

Thanks,

Liz

ooh humidity....my nemesis!

LOL, too true, a large part of why I'm bald now.

A humid day

a cancer fundraiser

and a bald cap that wouldn't stay down. ;)

I have a question about removing pros-aide adhesive: I know that pros-aide makes an adhesive remover, but is there something else that can be used instead? The supplier I'm looking to purchase from doesn't sell the remover, only the adhesive.

Guest Sakara

Any good prosthetic glue remover will work on prosaide.

Telesis Super Solv or Solv Plus, Ben Nya Bond Off, or Pro Bond are good ones

STAGE 5 - prepare for painting

Now you get some PAX. pax is Prosaide mixed with a little red acrylic. You stipple this over the bald cap after you've applied it. stipple with a chunky sponge and itl create a nice uneven matt surface on the cap ( human skin isnt nice and shiny as a cap) Also the red shade mimics the blood under our own skin so that when the makeup drys itl look the same shade on the cap as it does on your skin. Only stipple pax on the cap, not on your skin. let the pax dry then you can apply makeup how ever you intend to do that.

I did some testing this past weekend and followed these instructions. You mention that the PAX is used partly for texture and partly so that when the makeup dries it'll blend better between skin and bald cap. Personally, I found that the PAX was quite translucent and didn't really mask my brown hair under the cap. To make the PAX I took some pros-aide and mixed it with a little red artist's acrylic. Did I do this wrong? I was expecting it would be more opaque. Or should I use something else to mask over my hair?

Guest Sakara

Interesting. What cap were you using? With a Kryolan glatzan cap i didnt have any issues with my black hair showing through.

I saw a latex cap having the pax added on top as well at a demonstration, but the model had blonde hair.

I think...the pax works with camera work. its acts as an undercoat that pretends to be the blood under skin.When a photo is taken the camera sees the paint and only the pax underneath, not whats under the cap. As pax sits on top of the cap whats underneath doesnt show once painted on top. It acts as a balance for the makeup going on the skin and on the cap.

does that make any sense.

Thank you, it does. Pretty sure I know what your getting at :wink:

The test was done with a gently used latex cap so hubby could practice his application skills before the big show. For the real thing, we'll be using a Kryolan glatzan cap - now that I know where to get them, I won't go back to latex! We did test stippling the cap with flesh-toned liquid latex as well, the affect was similar. I will trust your experience and stick with the pax.

Bald cap review!

I applied a bald cap again this weekend (for lifecasting), so I tried out the Valdez brand bald cap to see what it was like. I found that the latex was very thin and had a great stretch. It was quite a small cap, though, so it didn't like going over the top of my ears. If it had been a standard application with the ears uncovered, it would have been a perfect fit. I didn't like that the outer edges had a rolled/scrunched quality, especially across the forehead. That was great for giving me something to grip while pulling the cap tight before gluing it, but it made a distinct edge line that was more difficult to blend. If that rolled edge had been trimmed off before beginning the application, I'm sure it would have been easier to blend. I had a slight problem with the cap tearing a few millimeters in one place during application, but that was because I was pulling it too hard to get it glued over my ears. Again, for a standard application I don't think it would have been a problem.

One thing I really liked about this cap was that it didn't have fold lines when I took it out of the package. I hate it when caps have permanent fold lines that show even when it's on my head!

Any pics?

Nope, sorry. I've had to do so many ears-covered head casts for the lekku sculpts, it's kind of an old-news thing for me now. I didn't even think about getting out the camera! I've got another cap waiting for the next round of life casting... I'll be sure to take some pictures next time.

As a newbie here, this is quite possibly one of the most useful threads ever!! (sorry to resurrect an old thread) I have become SO attached to doing Ventress and the only thing that was stopping me was the bald cap. I have hair down to the middle of my back and my first thought was to stuff it down my shirt and hide it with the high neck... then I started to get discouraged after asking around to other costumers to see if it would work. Then I get on here and voila! You have redeemed me! I'll get a couple bald caps and try first before giving up...that'll teach me eh? Thanks for the great posts!!!