• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Becoming Darth Revan: Part VII, The Red and Black Sashes

L Kamino

I bought the Deluxe Darth Revan from My Wicked Armor.  The red vertical drape or sash is designed to fold over and pin in place at the proper length.  I store my black and red sashes hanging with my other soft cloths, so I wanted a method to attach the fold to the back of the sash that didn't need to be re-pinned and that was still adjustable, and not have to pin the edge of the black sash each time. 

RED SASH

I attached sew-on Velcro to two narrow strips of pre-shrunk cotton, a bit narrower than the width of the red sash.  I stitched a small square of cotton to the inside and outside of the foam, as I was able to reach my hand inside the opening.  This gave me a mid-point for support and I tacked one strip across the underside of the sash where the top of the fabric would fold over to meet the Velcro.  I tacked it at this midpoint and at the edges, stitching to the folded hem of the red fabric and not to the foam.  The foam would not be strong enough (as I learned from an earlier method of a button and loop elastic that failed.)  I tacked the other strip along the top of the red sash, tucking the open ends of the fabric over. 

Tacking the fabric pieces on instead of sewing the Velcro directly helps protect the fabric when it comes time to replace the Velcro.  I'm then removing the tack and not the entire stitch from my red fabric. 

red reduced 1

red reduced 2

BLACK SASH

After finding my measurement, I folded the end of the black sash inward towards the seam to achieve the tapering of the other end.  I stitched the point in place, and tacked the folds in place.  I then stitched sew-on Velcro in place to match the other end of the sash. 

black reduced 1

black reduced 2

black reduced 3

black reduced 4

No more pins.  I kept dropping them at troops anyway!

I use a garment bag and a multi-level hanger and just loop the sashes over one of the levels for transport and storage. 

garment bag

skirt hanger

http://mywickedarmor.com/

Edited by L Kamino
Adding photos of modification
  • Like 1