• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Becoming Darth Revan: Part VI, Connecting the Cape Straps

L Kamino

I purchased the Deluxe Revan from My Wicked Armor.  The cape has long straps attached that are designed to tie to loops that are attached to the inside of the front armor.  I made a modification to allow me to dress without help and connect the straps more easily.  I wanted to have straps connected to the inside of the armor that reach up to attach to the cape instead.  I wanted to utilize D rings, such as with this fabric belt, with the D rings attached to short straps on the top of the cape. 

1 belt example

I have another thread which covers putting the cape on here: 

I found I had this bag stashed in the closet with a strap the same width and similar look as the cape straps.  It also had swivel hooks attached to the ends, which saved me some sewing.  The strap had 43" of length, which was plenty for my two new straps.  I cut it in half, giving me two straps, each one having a swivel hook.  NOTE: webbed straps need to either be cut with a hot knife or sealed with a flame across the cut to protect the strap from fraying.  A moment near the flame is enough, and too much can pull the strap out of shape. 

2 Used for parts reduced

I connected the swivels to the loops inside the front armor piece.  If I didn't use swivels, the strap would have been attached to an O ring and stitched in place. 

3 New strap inserted reduced

4 New Straps reduced

I purchased Dritz 3/4" D rings to attach to the cape.  (I forgot to get a photo with the D rings still in the package.)

5 D rings

I attached the D rings to the cape straps and prepared to measure length and sew. 

6 D rings before stitch reduced

I measured 1" away from the edge of the cape and pinned the straps in place, then hand-stitched to secure them.  I did not trim them, in case I need to adjust the length. 

7 Orig strap at 1 inch reduced

After stitching, here's the inside view.  The length can be hidden inside the cape, trimmed or pinned to obscure. 

8 Stitched inside view reduced

Here's the outside view:

9 Stitched outside view reduced

I leave the long straps connecting to the loops inside the front armor draped over the front armor when I put it on.  That way, the straps are easy to lift up and feed through the D rings.  I can put my cape on without help now, and could connect it without looking.  I can easily adjust the length as needed if I get different boots. 

http://mywickedarmor.com/

Edited by L Kamino

I've since moved over to Flickr and my Photobucket has been deactivated.  I'm in the process of moving my images over to Flickr and this thread has been updated with those links.

Edited by L Kamino