• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Darth Revan Upgrade WIP

DarthValkyria

I have been slowly but surely upgrading my approved Revan to look more like the game files and screen shots from KOTOR, and so far, I'm about 75-80% done. Also note, the mannequin I used to take photographs of is about 4" taller than I am, so the sash and skirt sit much farther down than they do on me. I actually took the screenshot files and sized them to my 5'10" female body form so that I could get accurate dimensions and locations for key armor parts and fabric lines. I started with a MyWickedArmor set in 2013, and have been replacing parts as I am able to build them, though I will be keeping the mask, mid-armor ribbed fabric, sash and waist strapping as he did a fantastic job on these.

I've already:

-replaced all soft parts minus cloak with a sheen fabric matching lighting effects in game

-created single hood that encloses face and mask

-created shoulders that were bunched and layered, but NOT pleated

-created a new black draped sash/belt to match the rest of the soft parts

-added accurate ring attachments of hood/shoulders to chest armor

-built a new chest plate

-built a new back plate

-built solid, seamless gauntlets with stripping, ribbing, and false seam on exterior sides

-built handplates

-replaced rings with accurately sized and seamless rings

-added ring straps to hold rings

-added fabric strip matching sash at the bottom of the ab and kidney plates

-added the piping to the shirt

-added a collar

-added white polish to the black square toe boots to create the "faded grey" look of the screenshots

-added strap above arch on boots

I need to:

-get new cloak (seamstress has been out of town)

-make a smooth ring for sash with indent in middle of ring

-build ab and kidney plates

-get non-pleated skirt made that more closely resembles a padding and stitch method to create a "puffy" section look

-put electronics in lightsaber and weather hilt a bit more

Below are photos of where he is at now. The paint color seems a bit wonky in the photos as I took them in my very yellow kitchen/dining room, but I managed to get a color shift that allows the antique gold, antique bronze, and the slight copper look to all shine through depending on what angle you are at, similar to the game.

20150527_181255.jpg

20150527_180503.jpg

Then the back of the hood and shoulders showing the gathered/draped effect as well as the single piece hood that encloses the face/mask and the piping and collar of the shirt.

20150527_180323.jpg

20150527_180952.jpg

Then the ring strap system and red fabric strip found on the bottom of the ab plate.

20150527_180538.jpg

The ring attachment of the hood/shoulders to the chest armor.

20150527_180554.jpg

The single piece gauntlets with strip down the center and ribbing at the top by wrist and the hand plates.

20150527_181305.jpg

20150527_181319.jpg

The "faded grey" square toe boots with added arch strap.

20150527_181513.jpg

20150527_181526.jpg

The hilt based on the "Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia" entry for Darth Revan's hilt.

20150527_183307.jpg

Some screenshots to compare detail.

Darth_Revan_4783ac6f782dc.jpg

KotOR0002b_Med.jpg

I should have him completed by the end of the year if all goes to plan! My boyfriend will be thankful to finally have somewhere to put his stuff XD. The hilt was made by Sabersmith for me and I painted the basics, though I'm going to add the weathering here soon. All soft parts were made by a friend in the Mountain Rebel Legion.

Edited by evighetensmorke

Omg I never noticed the red parts just under the bottom of the armour, good eye! And what a fantastic cowl!

That's what I said! I've been staring at these stupid screenshots for years trying to break down the costume and I never noticed it until a few weeks ago.

Hardest part is trying to get flat, male-designed armor to cooperate with anatomy. Not much to do in the way of hips (very obvious from the side that I'm female, slightly obvious from the front), but the chest armor seems to generally sit perfectly so that it hides any sign of it. Still thinking about putting stiff lining in the next skirt we do so it stays puffed out a bit instead of following hip line so much with the weight of the sash over it.

Amazing job. You have inspired me to do the same! 

First a few questions. Is your skirt (from wicked armor) go around your entire waste? Mine falls short so i just pinch it close with some velcro (about 80-90% around my waste the cape hides the fold over. but on windy days i have to have the sash hold the cape to me (idk even know which side its supposed to be on have the time lol (inside i know but i have to hide that defect TT_TT)

This might be one of the parts i have to redo (once i find out how to make it TT_TT)

Just from my own personal experience i think i need to do the 

black drap/shash  remake (to small)

redo the leather looking part that holds the ring (as mine is to short! so the ring is normaly on the armor not under it TT_TT and the sash ends up hiding the smaller rings TT_TT my details!)

Maybe connect the rings to the cape (just looks cooler!)

Might even sew the folds into place on the shoulder part. 

New skirt! 

LOL thanks for the inspiration! 

The old MyWickedArmor skirt came about 5 inches short of coming together in the back, this custom skirt meets! All I have to do is attach the belt and it sits beautifully under the armor, it hasn't moved once yet.

Edited by DarthValkyria
  • Like 1

Long time since update, busy with school. The shoulders of the hood and the sleeves of my shirt slouched from a day worth of trooping, but here's a recent photo of the upgrades actually on me.

12507335_1559882154333646_702106051438022867_n.jpg

Still utilizing MWA's O-Ring, mask, and sash until I can find some time to make my own.

This is also after about 3 new paint jobs to the custom built armor. Trying to find a combination of metallics that changes metal effect with light variances as it does in the game. Some areas it looks like antique gold, antique copper, and an antique faded bronze. Very close to finding a good one.

Edited by DarthValkyria

Not armor related necessarily, but my buddy Juan made this amazing logo for me and I wanted to share it.

Granted, you can't tell in costume, but I have over 3' long dreads that I stuff in the hood and down under the back plate to troop, so he threw them in since they have coined many nicknames for my Revan.

received_10156668525090217.jpeg

Edited by DarthValkyria

These upgrades are really fantastic!  I may have to borrow a few of them for my build.  Thank you for posting!

I have some reference screenshots here but I'm not sure how great the quality is for zooming.

http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2105-additional-darth-revan-reference-photos/

Thanks, I have seen those reference photos before. I just can't make out the strapping for the loops. I very much like the look of the straps a lot better, but was just curious if this was common knowledge or if it's an interpretation,

Can you tell me some details about your undershirt?  I've never seen anything like that, with that wide, high collar.  Is that a custom piece, or something you found?

Hi, it's Rob from Wicked Armor. Nice upgrades!! It looks like you even added details to the plastic armor which is impressive. What did you use for that? I especially like the lip at the bottom of your hood. I might start making that standard on mine when I get around to releasing my v2 costume, which I am hoping will be in December.

I think the color at the bottom front of the torso is brown, matching the coloration on the back of the armor, which is something I am likely to add on the v2. I am working on new torso armor and an improved mask now and already shipped several v2 bracers and hand armor.

Clasps at the top of the chest piece have been required for a while. I used to use rings there, myself, but someone in the 501st changed it on me years ago so they all have clasps now. I agree that it looks more like a clasp on the game model.

I use silver cord (although I need to find a thicker one) to hold the large rings at the bottom of the armor because you can see a little silver detail coming down from the torso in the game model.

I always thought the boots were a bit metallic looking. I dry brushed mine with silver acrylic.

I have made a smooth large ring with middle depression, which I have started shipping, but what are the ab and kidney plates you mentioned needing to build?

If you guys are cool with the upgrades, I would be thrilled if we could update the CRL after the v2 is finished. I'd be happy to help as I did with the original.

revan back armor.png

revan rings.jpg

1 hour ago, WickedArmor said:

Hi, it's Rob from Wicked Armor. Nice upgrades!! It looks like you even added details to the plastic armor which is impressive. What did you use for that? I especially like the lip at the bottom of your hood. I might start making that standard on mine when I get around to releasing my v2 costume, which I am hoping will be in December.

I think the color at the bottom front of the torso is brown, matching the coloration on the back of the armor, which is something I am likely to add on the v2. I am working on new torso armor and an improved mask now and already shipped several v2 bracers and hand armor.

Clasps at the top of the chest piece have been required for a while. I used to use rings there, myself, but someone in the 501st changed it on me years ago so they all have clasps now. I agree that it looks more like a clasp on the game model.

I use silver cord (although I need to find a thicker one) to hold the large rings at the bottom of the armor because you can see a little silver detail coming down from the torso in the game model.

I always thought the boots were a bit metallic looking. I dry brushed mine with silver acrylic.

I have made a smooth large ring with middle depression, which I have started shipping, but what are the ab and kidney plates you mentioned needing to build?

If you guys are cool with the upgrades, I would be thrilled if we could update the CRL after the v2 is finished. I'd be happy to help as I did with the original.

revan back armor.png

revan rings.jpg

The armor, for now, is just Wonderflex that was draped over a mold I made of my torso, then backed with fiberglass and added worbla for the details. Makes it super light and mildly flexible, but I still want a more sturdy setup, so come the beginning of next year, it will all be redone in resin.

The lip of the hood was a pain in the ass to get exactly how I wanted it, but I think it adds a silhouette to the costume that makes it look like the game files. 

The torso color I think is just an effect of the variance in the multitude of metallics that are on it. If you look at the game screenshots in the gallery, that front part changes with angle and lighting a lot http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forums/index.php?/gallery/category/27-darth-revan-kotor/

Yeah, I'm not sure why the clasps were added as all of the references show them as round rings with a small strip attaching it to the collarbone area of the hood/shoulders. Though, in the next few weeks, the CRL is getting a HUGE makeover that includes that in the details, so base requirements will be back to the ring style. 

The ab and kidney plates that I had listed in my original post were the parts that I had not yet finished building, but have since built out of the same wonderflex/fiberglass set up to match my torso profile better. It meant having to repair everything for the 50 billionth time, but I think it was worth it for the better bit on my damn hips.

I will be looking forward to seeing your V2 stuff come out!

Aww, am I getting booted from the CRL? I was honored to submit photos for the CRL when it was created, but I understand things are always improving. Will the Nihilus CRL's be updated too, and can I get involved somehow?

Agreed. Rings are on the chest. If there are clasps, they are very tiny ones that attach the rings to the fabric. I grudgingly added clasps. 

I always avoided that lip on the hood because it looks difficult, but I think it adds a lot to the costume so I will figure it out.

I like all of your suggestions, but I think the little strip on the bottom of the torso is brown from every angle. Making this part of the armor, instead of a sliver of fabric, will make it easier for attaching the rings too, especially since the rings come from under this strip. I don't mean to be a pain, but I've been looking at this costume for 10 years and am passionate about it. It's still my favorite among every costume I've made, and it was my first. I think the addition of red fabric here will look out of place. I'm all for painting a brown strip there on the v2 armor that matches the brown on the back, but if I am forced, I will add this bit of fabric, haha. Or can the red fabric be optional even at the highest tier? It's always fun to interpret these old low-res game models.

I have heard that my armor does not fit well on a wide hip to waist ratio. Maybe I should make a female ab plate while I am upgrading this costume.

I will post my v2 on the forum when complete, thanks.

revanBrown.jpg

• Like 1

I would love to have your assistance on the CRLs given that you are so popular for member's purchases. It would help make the job of accuracy and approval that much easier! :-D

The folded over sides of the hood that your current one allows gets the job done, but I only ever see maybe 1 out of every 10 Revans wear it like that, and so it just goes to the upside down "V".

Oh! I was thinking of an entirely different spot from what you were talking about! I agree that there is definitely a different color there, but I am unsure still as to how to interpret that. The way I did the bottom part was to dirty up the red fabric used for the sash and include it as it matched the color of the sash in the reference images I got from the game. In regards to having to be fabric, that is up for optional, but I think that there should definitely be a strip there that differentiates it from the main plate.

A wider plate would be great as I am always being messaged by potential recruits who are female and have wider hips.