• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Lana Beniko (SWTOR) - character research

Lucy

There, I've been thinking about a costume from the game, preferably dark side and something that I could wear without a wig.

I haven't completed this scenario yet -- when I do, I'll post my own screenshots here, but so far it seems Lana is not a typical Sith (and of course I need to like a story to chose a character).

The costume seems doable, especially since this NPC armor is sold in the game as adaptable armor which a player can wear, therefore it is possible to see it in detail. I'm posting screens of someone's playable character trying this armor on.

I've already met the members and they seem very helpful. I guess when you have people who will tell you where to buy the fabrics, who does tailoring and so on, that's more than half the job done.

Well, we'll see. This is my first idea.

post-1180-0-93637500-1432397410_thumb.jpeg

post-1180-0-35932800-1432397429_thumb.jpg

post-1180-0-50450300-1432397445_thumb.jpg

post-1180-0-76801500-1432397583_thumb.jpg

Game art is going to be the key ingredient.  The side shots looking at the rear of her outfit are good, but if you can manage to get her cape lifted and see what is behind the cape, that would be a major plus.  I haven't played recently at all, so I don't know if that's even possible, perhaps you may even get a bug where her cape flies up magically.  if you can snap a screenshot and include that, you would have a major boon there in creating the back side of that outfit.

The undergarments are totally not required, if you wanna go that far, more power to you, but we're mostly interested in the outer appearance as a whole.

I LOVE this costume. That cape is going to be a lot of fun to do! As stated above yes it would be best to try and get under that cape. I was very fortunate when I did my SWTOR costume that he didn't have a cape, however with any costume your going to have a concern somewhere. Try and get some slight angles in the back. You should be able to get in there. This costume would look really neat in Sintra at the top. The four plates appear to be metallic so using a Sintra I think might yield the best results (then painted metalic). The Belt buckle would be another Key piece.  I would look into sculpting and resin casting that. Would look lovely! 

Also in the second image youve posted what it looks like piece by piece (which is cool for reference) However I reccomend making the piece as one whole outfit (like a long Jedi Tunic). I cant wait to see your progress! 

It would be a pretty nice costume to do as I have yet to see anyone actually pull it off. The whole piece looks like it would be soft pieces so it would just be a lot of sewing, but other then that good luck and I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Thanks for all the comments.

I'm going to hunt for screen shots while doing this scenario or even better - buy that tunic for my character and jump or ride, that makes capes (and lekku) fly nicely.

Also in the second image youve posted what it looks like piece by piece (which is cool for reference) However I reccomend making the piece as one whole outfit (like a long Jedi Tunic). I cant wait to see your progress! 

This is actually very good to hear. The costume is adapted for a player armor, that's why it needs to have separate (purchasable) pieces. But of course it makes more sense if it is made as a tunic, rather than a skirt and a top.

I hoped to make a costume with soft (natural) fabrics, but when I looked more closely it looked a bit "rubbery", so I'll have to consider other options. Learning how different types of material are actually called would be a good start :)

I'm back!

In summer I bought in-game replica of the first armor for my OC so it would be possible to take extra screens (including under the cape).

Then I was away from the game trying to figure out how to handle real life and online gaming, now that I'm on sick leave I had time to install the update.

I think I like the new armor even more and it seems easier to make because you see clearly which parts are fabric and which parts are plates. It wasn't that obvious with the first armor.

Another thing, now that Lana is a companion you can see she is equiped with red crystal. Not orange-red as the early concept art suggested. What's your take?

Guest i.Chimaera

Awesome :) Have you finished the expansion? It felt very weird as a bounty hunter so I'm curious what my inquisitor will do. I have a feeling if I get my trooper up I'll be even more confused as to what game I'm playing (femshep/femtrooper.)

Okay, that is a very weird thing for Lana's tunic to do! All my tunic type sets, or any set where any materials hang below the "waist" (actual waist on male models and upper hip for female) it's always a case of the tunic being part of the chest piece. This is a bit like the various dancer outfits which do this very definite skirt/legging mix vs a tunic and separate pants. Ditto for the tabbards, they are always continuous. I haven't bought the set myself so I wonder if this is going to be updated and we'll have "classic" Lana Beniko gear?

I'd consider the time gap to mean a change of gear ;) For Lana as there is a five year time span between Shadow of Revan and the major turn of Knights of the Fallen Empire I'd recommend sticking with one or the other. I mean in reality we all play mix and match to a degree but in game it's a different matter.

And yep, the game update has made all models far more readily readable! Really old sets of gear are still a bit blocky but the newer sets can be really appreciated with even just high settings :) Ultra makes my game unplayable but I get great screen grabs :) I think Lana's new gear will also be easier to wear. No weight of a cloak to pull things out of place :)

Yes, I think I'll stick to the KOTFE look. The design is just better and it would be more fun to wear.

Let's say the red-orange lightsaber goes with the first outfit and now she has generic red, which would be easier to organise.

She has two swords on the concept art, but in the game she's obviously a sorc (they all are). If I had two swords I would do a Scottish dance over them.

I wish I had more time to play the game. I'll take some screens and let the guys from the Garrison know, that I've made up my mind.

OK, so I contacted the Polish Garrison:

1) they said a new costume (with no standards to follow) is not a big deal, it just needs to look just the way it is shown in the game

2) they said armor plates are not a big deal, I should be able to cut the elements in pvc foam

People believe in my skills, this is exciting. Also, nobody has done this costume before and technically there has been no living person going as Lana so far, since the original character is computer generated. Very exciting.

My only problem is that I can't really start working on the costume at home because I don't have room to keep the materials and I don't want to ruin floor or furniture during my first encounter with warm plastics. Well, I'll sort it out some day.

What I need to do now is to make a full list of elements which have to be assembled. From the eyelashes to the lightsaber. And probably I need to learn the names of some elements and materials.

Speaking of eyelashes, I was wondering how to achieve this in-game look of eyelashes stuck together like one surface because it would add a nice touch for sure.

I ordered these, I will trim them and cover evenly with black mascara.

rzesy.jpg

wildfire.png

Also, I'll be getting these lenses, I browsed all shops and these are definitely the most similar in design.

So, I have the eyes covered so far, which is fine because the eyes surely reflect the character.

post-1180-0-70118600-1448820359_thumb.jpg

Hi) I just wanted to let you know - Now you're not the only one who wants to do Lana. :wink: Truth be told, I was thinkig about her costume from Shadow of Revan for a while as well as you, but I decided to start with a one from KOTFE because, in my opinion, it's a little bit easier and it will be logical to do it first.

I have some drafts of the full items list (based on official and my own screenshots, also guys from my outpost helped me find a 3d model), I think I will be able to post them here in a few days if you want.
Right now I have started sewing, but this stage will last for some time, because of the end of the year and upcoming exams.

So bad news is I might not be the first to register :P Good news is that we can share the research and compare ideas.

I hope you show me what you have! :)

I keep bragging that I've already got eyelashes and boots.
http://allegro.pl/mcl1-kozaki-za-kolano-ls82133-black-36-41-i5752015049.html
I'm supposed to cut them and use the rest of the fabric to cover the zipper.

Then I need to buy trousers and turtleneck sweater.

Then the sewing. What kind of fabric did you chose for the tunic?

I will have two weeks off by the end of January so I hope to be able to hang out with the garrison and discuss technicalities in person, maybe buy the clothes and fabric.

I don't think I'm going to do the Shadow of Revan costume because the quality of the graphics is not so good, it would be impossible to decide if it's fabric or metal, it all looks a bit rubbery. I'd rather be a Jawa Matriarch in my next costume.

Nice boots) 

1439899412_lana_beniko_zpsylfzyuvy.jpg
3d model - http://swtor.jedipedia.net/de/npc/lana-beniko-16

My attempt to do a full list of the required items:

1. Black/dark grey lower tunic or turtleneck sweater.
2. Grey upper tunic with short sleeve (there're also some pattern under the arms)
3. Tabards (same fabric at uppet tunic)
4. There's a plastin on the chest (under tabards). You can see that it's shining when you rotate 3d model.
CR2iXNIUcAA0V6d_zpsbxli9bhp.jpg
5.Draped shawl with binding on the left side, longer at the back.
6.Different gloves/bracers, 
tumblr_nx9nhuTb2r1tag7dso1_500_zpst3bi3x
7.Belt
CR2iXNIUcAA0V6d_zpsnddpsyjw.jpg
8.Shoulders
tumblr_nx9nhuTb2r1tag7dso1_500_zpsinmaft
9. Black/Dark grey pants (?) with gray ribbon around the legs (from the knee armor)
10.Legs
-Boots (black boots with brown strips + two small bags at the outer side)
-Armor pieces (knee and shin). 
swtor%2021-10-2015%2015-55-25-886_zpsfnk
11. There're also those 'rings' above the elbow
tumblr_nx9nhuTb2r1tag7dso1_500_zps64kwrp
12. lightsaber
tumblr_nx9nhuTb2r1tag7dso1_500_zpshsh8ke
13. Short blond hair
14.Yellow lenses and some make-up maybe.

My progress now:
So far I have lenses, started sewing (using suit fabric, can't remember wich one exactly)  and need to dye my hair (don't want to use a wig just because right now my hair style is very similar)
Need to fix the length of the tabard at the back and paint the plastine.
5bccd748-45c6-4175-94d5-5e9972a58f52_zps
Pl5joBUBel4_zpsfoihh19v.jpg

I've started some armor pieces recently, but still nothing to show yet)
I'm hoping to have more time at the end of the month or in the february. I want to have at least the main parts of the costume ready before march.

Edited by GoldenCat

It was a very long week for me, but I think I'm ready) And because I was working really fast, I didn't stop for any in-progress pics (well I have some photos but there're very few of them, I will upload them later)
At least it's the first version of the costume, need to test it in the field) So sorry that it's selfies - I didn't have anyone at home to help me take pictures. And because all of the pictures was taken by the mirror I had to flip horizontaly all of them. 
IMG_8616_zpss7pkk457.jpg
IMG_8621_zpstvpfvmjy.jpg
%20-5_zpsp3vyxy7x.jpg

IMG_8609_zpspib9l0cc.jpg
IMG_8632_zpsleopkdpu.jpg

and some screenshots of the 3D model for reference:
aCBVzuDLO0I_zpso3ve7yau.jpg
p5ywi1vp9IM_zpsv7bkfoho.jpg

I am looking forward for any feedback from you, guys) The fresh look always helps!

Greetings,

I started work on Lana Beniko SOR costume this November, here is my progress so far. I will be using wig, don't want cut my long hair :D

Experimenting with make up, my eye lenses came with defect so need buy new ones.

Also finding high brown boots is very problematic then you are a plus size...Maybe will need scratch build them myself in the end.

7FUckTq.jpg?1

Thanks to GoldenCat for sharing link to 3D model source will help a lot in research http://swtor.jedipedia.net/en/npc/lana-beniko-19

Wont need do jumping from the stronghold  in the game to see whats under the cape anymore :D

PnmGAh5.jpg?1

• Like 1

This is looking fantstic! Aye as what you said above which ever one of you complete the costume first you will be known as the Legion 1st. You'll be setting the standard for everyone after you. It's very exciting and something I myself am addicted to. I love making Legion 1st! Be prepared to have your reference ready when you submit though you guys seem to have that! :)

I started work on Lana Beniko SOR costume this November, here is my progress so far. I will be using wig, don't want cut my long hair :D

Experimenting with make up, my eye lenses came with defect so need buy new ones.

Amazing progress!!! Looks great) 

It's not a race, it's just fun. Well, I submited my costume about a week ago  :P I just wanted to know if everything looks as it should, I'm ready for some changes, at least I need to know what exactly needs more work)) This process might take a while now, because of the elections and it's a new costume. So right now I'm waiting for any comments from judges.

Either way, we have three different versions of Lana (there is also her Rishi outfit) and as fas as I know it counts as 3 different costumes) To submit your costume you should read this - http://databank.501st.com/databank/Membership:JoinUs

By "3 diferent referance sources for new character" they mean that you must have screenshots of her costume from front, back and at lest one of the sides. It will be better if you have more screenshots for more details. And I also did some searching recently, we are not the first Lana's ever) As far as I know they don't aim for the 501st and made their costumes only for fun:

6P5QBY0KVac.jpg 

mMDpGsGEyvk.jpg

Edited by GoldenCat

Thanks GoldenCat;] for link and explanaition.

I'm very slow crafter. With family and work taking all free time, would not want stress and hurry at all, its all for fun:D

For example my Dreadmaster Darth Bestia costume took me 2 years and still needs upgrades.

Oh good you reminded Rishi disguise outfit. Lana uses same tunic as Zayne Carrick just dyed in black/green.

Also she uses black boots not brown like SOR outfit.

Aye, I cant stress enough, please include reference (as much as you can) 

There is also a new Legion 1st rule and it involves building the CRL before the costume is approved this will slow the process further, so if this is your first costume I will have to apologize personally in advance as I myself have built 8 Legion 1sts and they can and will be time consuming sometimes. But that shouldn't stop you from doing a few things

1. Write a mock CRL. just for fun (post it here lets see it and talk! :) )

2. Line up your images of your costume with the real one

Both of these things help judges immensely when judging costumes. I've been doing judging for the Rebel legion for a few years now and let me tell you how much it helps when a Work in progress with proper reference is given :) it just speeds things up so much! 

I hope this helps!

Edited by Amidala