• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

MWA Nihilus

blitz1027

Hello all.  I've been contemplating doing a Darth Nihilus for a while now and wanted to ask opinions on the MWA costume.  I know a lot of people build their own but I have neither the time nor the equipment to do so.  I'm honestly not sure if I want to go with the COTF or KOTOR version.  Both are really cool in their own way.  Any insight or suggestions would be much appreciated.

MWA is a decent starting point, but is just a start. In order to make it 501st Legion approvable, there are some changes and tweaks that need to be done. I find that while the MWA pattern is technically correct for the robes, they don't use a decently weighted fabric to give the robes a good hang to them. If you look at a picture of Obi Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor version) robes, you will see what I mean by a good weighted fabric with good hang. You want the same idea, but in black for Nihilus. I also find that there isn't enough fabric in the robes to give the proper "billowing" look that you need with a Nihilus. So some people add in extra panels of fabric for a more proportioned look. 

There are other minor adjustments like a properly sized obi/belt ratio, under tunic neckline showing and cowl shape. It depends on the GML in your area, and how closely they will look at all the small details. Keep in mind that his mask is the COTF version as well. While it would technically be approvable for a KOTOR Nihilus, there are 2 distinct different masks between the two costumes. 

Just my two cents. Don't get me wrong in thinking that I don't like his work, his stuff is amazing! But for 501st approval, you will need to do a little bit of work to get the basic kit up to par with Legion standards. There are quiet a few MWA kits that are approved in the Legion, so it is possible.

Cheers,

Nef