• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Kylo Ren Dissection and WIP

Volund Starfire

KyloIsNotKyboRen-TFAT2-4KPub_zps72peshsu

It’s been about a year since I used my special talent at costume dissection, but let’s see if I can shake the

dust off of it. To do this, I plan to use the pictures of Kylo Ren from the new movie coming out this

December.

As always, if I miss a detail or something, please let me know. If you have a picture contradicting

something I’ve written, same thing. I’m always looking to do better and I look to you all to help me

make the details right for those who want to do the costume and/or write the CRL.

And fear not, this will not just be a WALL-O-TEXT™. I will be adding pictures as I fine tune it in the

coming days. As I get things purchased and get them built, I’ll be updating it. I like this character, even

though I know nothing about him other than he can breathe in his helmet (see below)!!!

HELMET

Helmet_zpsitwanrvl.jpg

There’s not much I can say about the helmet that hasn’t already been covered a million times. It looks

to be 3D printed or pepakura built. It is a full helmet, not just a mask, and that is one detail that most

people didn’t fully get until the Celebration display.

Of special interest is that the raised face details do more than just add flair to the helmet. If you look

closely at the cheeks of the helmet, you will see the holes in the face detail hide the same black-out

cloth that covers the eye hole. That’s right, this helmet is something you can breathe in.

I will be building the helmet using pepakura with the raised details being sintra. Some of the smaller

details I will also be using the 1mm sintra for (such as the vent looking things on the sides).

INNER TUNIC SLEEVES AND DOUBLET

Inner_zpseopwvmpo.jpg

Doublet_zps5brwaj01.png

After reviewing several pictures of the exhibit, I have come to the conclusion that I will be doing both

the inner tunic and doublet as one piece. I will also be doing it with a twist I learned costuming as

Vader.

The inner tunic sleeves will be made using the 38 flaps. Based on the measurements of my arm (31”), I

have determined that the visible length of the flaps is 7/8” long, since there are a couple that don’t look

the same size. I’ll double that underneath of them for 1-1/2” for the sew-down. Rather than line it, I’ll

just use my underarmor rather than add more layers (to keep it cooler). So, I’m looking at 5 yards of

material.

It will be sewn directly to the doublet under the sleeve much in the way as the faux inner sleeve of a

Darth Nihilus; sewn not at the point of the sleeve, but back at the top of the shoulder. It will also

feature a separated locking zipper that zips from the wrist to the armpit. I guess this means there are

zippers in Star Wars (besides Luke zipping up his orange coverall in TESB).

For the doublet, I’ll be using Simplicity 4095 as a base. I plan to modify it by adding a zipper up the front

rather than buttons. Other than that, I also plan to add a yolk with Imperial Officer-style collar and a

“yolk” around the arm holes. Except for the skirt, it will be made out of a nice moisture-wicking

material. The skirt and yolks will be made using the horizontal-tucked wool that is visible through the

arm and neck.

SURCOAT, HOOD, AND SHAWL

Outer_zpswguhey2d.png

For the surcoat, I’ll be using a modified version of the Simplicity 4795 pattern. Specifically, I’ll be using

piece number 1 with a flat shoulder and cut waist length. The 4-panel skirt will be made square and

pleated at the waist seam, since the pattern of the material is straight all the way down. I will also be

including a separated zipper up the left side of the body and a closed zipper just behind the neck to

make the opening smart around the collar.

The hood is part of the shawl, not the surcoat. The hood is identical to a Jedi robe hood and I’ll be

putting a piece of plastic canvas in the front edge so it sits right when it’s up. Additionally, I’ll add a

small magnet pocket inside so it sticks to the helmet regardless of how I turn my head (nothing’s worse

than having to continually pull your hood up).

The appearance of the shall looks quite like a Ranger cloak from Destiny. I’ll have to whip up some test

builds to make sure it hangs right, but there are patterns in the Destiny costuming community (once I

find them). Oh, and the edge of the shawl is frayed. There is also a fully visible seam where the hood

connects to it.

GLOVES

Gloves_zpsnsbrw9pt.jpg

I’m looking into giving a local glove-maker some pictures of these gloves and asking them to make me

up a set. I have yet to find anything that looks even close to these gloves (that weren’t hand-made by

Amidala). However, I’ll still keep my feelers out there in case they were a purchased item.

BELT

Belt_zpsdbov1r9c.png

The belt is 5” wide with a pair of 1/2” wide top-stitched straps. The belt closes in the front with Velcro

that I’ll just sew down to the straps and epoxy under the belt.

The buckle will be layered sintra that’s 5” high, 2-1/4” wide, and 3/8” thick. It will Velcro to the exposed

strap that closes the belt.

The lightsaber clip is the female connector for a stanchion queue barrier or tensabarrier. It is built into a

small setup with a pair of teardrop guides to put the lightsaber into the cradle. The base of the clip is 3”

high and I’ll Chicago screw it all down to the belt.

TROUSERS

The trousers will be a purchased item. They are denim trousers, but not jeans. I’m hoping to find

something at a local Goodwill, but will probably get them online.

BOOTS

Boot_zpswj1kwsld.jpg

The boots look to have a separation between the actual boot and the leg. For this reason, I believe they

are similar in design to the Imperial boots in Star Wars Rebels. My boots will be a pair of paddock boots

with a half-chap over them.

There are four 1” straps around the leg of the boot, two on the bottom and two on the top. I’ll most

likely connect them with snaps around the proper point until clearer shots can be seen.

LIGHTSABER

The base for the cross-guard lightsaber will be a purchased item from a saber maker. I’ll custom build

the detailed shroud over it using PVC pipes and wires. It will be interesting to build, especially because

of the number of details on the main body. I had considered 3D printing it, but I think building it will

give it a better feel. Additionally, it will feature the male end of the stanchion queue barrier or

tensabarrier, so I can wear it on my belt when at a “no weapons” troop.

Edited by Volund Starfire

leave this here ... Here you can see some images of Kylo Ren and his lightsaber ...

I hope you find them useful

regards

SL-874

• Like 1

they said at the force awakens exhibit that the mask was hand crafted and made out of i think a poly urethane plastic, and why do people keep calling the lightsaber clip a magnet, last time i checked 3d printer plastic is not magnetic nor was there any metal on the hilt.  the hilt as a thin bar on the bottom back and the clip has a track system where the hilt slides onto and locks in place.

and if your saber is going to have sound or lights, dont use a magnet or it will ruin it.

• Like 1

leave this here ... Here you can see some images of Kylo Ren and his lightsaber ...

I hope you find them useful

regards

SL-874

http://io9.com/star-wars-costumes-and-props-reveal-new-characters-for-1698341539?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Thank you! I’ll be using a couple of those, for sure.

they said at the force awakens exhibit that the mask was hand crafted and made out of i think a poly urethane plastic, and why do people keep calling the lightsaber clip a magnet, last time i checked 3d printer plastic is not magnetic nor was there any metal on the hilt. the hilt as a thin bar on the bottom back and the clip has a track system where the hilt slides onto and locks in place.

and if your saber is going to have sound or lights, dont use a magnet or it will ruin it.

I know the helmet was originally molded poly, but I don’t have the ability to mold or cast in poly.

However, I do have the skills and abilities to make pepakura and make it shine. It might not be a screen-

accurate material, but technically neither is Episode IV TK armor because it doesn’t just have painted-on

eyes.

I’m not really planning on using a magnet for the lightsaber, it just looks like it connects magnetically in-

universe. One of the shots of the saber in the link above (which isn’t in any of the other major pictures),

indeed shows the saber’s attachment is wider than its base. You might be right, but I haven’t seen a

high-detail shot of the belt clip.

As for the magnetics issue, I definitely plan on not using magnets anywhere near my saber. I might

upgrade to sound at some point, but not initially. I hate the battery set-up needed for most of the

sound systems.

This is VERY well written

Mask: I agree 1mm cintra is what I am using, I have found it to be 6 layers deep

Gloves: The thumb has nothing on it. The index finger has a circle, the other three fingers have a line vertically with two raised edges then a line horizontally covering the vertical line.

Acrosss the hand there are 2  one inch strops going horizontal across the hand

Pants: A note on the pants i scored an amazing pair of denim slacks. they lay soooo nicely on me the brand is Levi "Sinfully Soft" Brand 4631842 (jm2-13h-lsah09834)

Can I respectfully ask to borrow this when I write my WIP? Seriously fantastic job on this!

If you need certain photos I took 500 of just this costume

• Like 1

I would not go in assuming the lightsaber to be optional.  CRLs are split down the line on required vs. optional.  I suggest planning for needing it, rather than assuming it isn't needed.  And as it is clearly a focal point for the character, I'd err on the side of needing it.

• Like 1

I personally have mine coming in the next week but would love if the lightsaber were optional. As it seems to be split by how hard it is to get the saber. Of the 4 sithlords I have approved only one requires the lightsaber (which is my Anakin)

Ive heard that its how "hard it is" to get the lightsaber that dictates this requirement in the CRL?

• Like 1

My observation has always been regarding whether or not the character is or isn't commonly seen unarmed.  In the case of most video games, the unarmed character somehow magically makes the item vanish, until combat happens.   Without doing a lot more research at the moment(I'm out the door in a minute)  I'd say that if he is always seen armed, that the character should be armed.

Availability really shouldn't affect requirement, as we are crafters and costumers after all.  We make things work.

This is VERY well written

Can I respectfully ask to borrow this when I write my WIP? Seriously fantastic job on this!

If you need certain photos I took 500 of just this costume

Please feel free to use my dissection however you wish. As I do some work, I’ll post what I find (tricks

and such) for getting things done. The way I write WIPs are for others to follow in my footsteps for their

builds. My dissections (do a search on Flagship) are freely given.

For instance, one of the things I’m already planning to do is “Nihilus” the sleeve inside of the doublet. It will cut down on heat and still retain the layered look. Unless, of course, there are shots of the full inside tunic.

The pants are one of the things I’m looking for today. Thank you for the suggestion, but my girlish figure is a little more manly than yours ;) However, I will definitely search out Levi trousers at my current hunting grounds (8 Goodwill stores in a 30 minute radius of my house).

As for the pictures… do you have them posted to a google+ account or would you like my email address?

I would not go in assuming the lightsaber to be optional. CRLs are split down the line on required vs. optional. I suggest planning for needing it, rather than assuming it isn't needed. And as it is clearly a focal point for the character, I'd err on the side of needing it.

There are some garrisons that the local laws don’t allow lightsabers. Personally, I like having them. It’s

a cool part of the costume and one of the most iconic pieces of movie history. I mean a Jedi without a

lightsaber is just an oddly dressed Samurai.

Heres some photos of the materials i found and the gloves

Do you do commission work? If so, I might order a set of gloves from you or see if we can work out a

trade.

Also, I’m basing my doublet on the action figure tunic length. From the “poster” shot it looked like there

was a dropped part to the doublet. I was looking at using a sleeveless version of the ‘A’ jacket below.

I’d include an Imperial Officer style collar, remove the caps, and give it a riding split to the waist. Does

that sound right?

4059fb.gif

I suspect we can or still do require it for membership, whether or not it is allowed at a local event is separate.  I'd have to double check that though.

I suspect we can or still do require it for membership, whether or not it is allowed at a local event is separate.  I'd have to double check that though.

Yeah funny enough, I myself have two starkillers and a Palpatine (Darth Sid version) Neither of which require the saber *pokes CRL* and my location (California) definatly allows weapons :) I am more on the side of "this character needs his lightsaber" it seems to be leading the direction of it being a important aspect to this guy

• Like 1

The discussion will also get more serious once there is actually a costume and a case to present to the LMO.  We'll just have to see how things progress.  There is a valid concern when it comes to legal issues obviously, but we also have a precedent with a number of costumes still stating "Required"

I've dug it up here, as any good discussion does need some proper citations:

http://www.501st.com/databank/Weapons_policy

Volund you're very right, and I've definitely had the cops called on me for showing up to a troop thanks to the balaclavas we all wear.  On the flip side, we were able to carry our blasters on a military base at an Air Show, so... yeah.   We may have detained a few real-life officers for fun.  :)

Once the political situation settles down I'll be happy to bring up the Optional/Required discussion as it relates to our current costumes.  I suspect something needs to be done about it.

and here is a link to a kylo ren pepakura helmet all though the mouth piece is wrong and it cost $30

http://propzone.be/files.html

and i have some templates i found online of his mouth piece if you want them.

I have the mouth and eyebrow/cheek templates that someone in SLD posted (see attachments). I was

definitely looking at the propzone helmet pep, but there is a guy in a facebook group I’m part of who is

also making the pep with the cheek/brows as floating faces (a pepakura term for something you cut out

and add on after the item is put together). But, if your templates are different, please definitely link

them.

Volund you're very right, and I've definitely had the cops called on me for showing up to a troop thanks to the balaclavas we all wear. On the flip side, we were able to carry our blasters on a military base at an Air Show, so... yeah. We may have detained a few real-life officers for fun. :)

You should try being part of a group of Halo ODST costumers… holy cow. Though, the SWAT team that

responded to the troop got lots of pictures with us and there is a great picture of us sitting in the back of

their military troop transport!

But, let’s not get off topic.

post-31-0-20980900-1430178400_thumb.jpgpost-31-0-87100600-1430178413_thumb.jpgpost-31-0-91612800-1430178425_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

yep those are the ones i posted, and when your friend is done his pepakura file, can you share it on here?

Yes, unless I get bored with him fiddling, then I’ll just buy the $30 one and start building it.

The discussion will also get more serious once there is actually a costume and a case to present to the LMO.  We'll just have to see how things progress.  There is a valid concern when it comes to legal issues obviously, but we also have a precedent with a number of costumes still stating "Required"

*cough* Prepare for battle come next Monday my lord! Ill have my saber in hand on sunday ^.-

As noted above also Yes I agree

The images posted in the mask are Not 100% accurate. I tried using them they are kind of incorrect. They dont line up the same as on the mask.

Ill be posting my template with side by sides of my mask as soon as my costume is in queue

*cough* Prepare for battle come next Monday my lord! Ill have my saber in hand on sunday ^.-

And this is me being jealous. My saber is probably going to be the last thing I purchase and

make. But, before then, I still have my collection of 4 dueling-grade sabers, a MR Force FX Vader, and a

couple of the Hasbro toys. And, yes, I know how to use them. Muahahahahaha!!!

As noted above also Yes I agree

The images posted in the mask are Not 100% accurate. I tried using them they are kind of incorrect. They dont line up the same as on the mask.

Ill be posting my template with side by sides of my mask as soon as my costume is in queue

I can’t wait to see your progress! I’ll probably use those templates as a base, but sketch out

my own before I start cutting sintra. I might also mock it up with a foamy before I do it in the

sintra.

Edited by Volund Starfire

Yes I also dont know how close MINE will be, but I can guarantee you ill be putting them side by side to the original and checking that they match :D Its amazing how different the left from the right hand side is.

The templates posted are NOT bad. They are only slightly off btw. I don't know how this would translate to approval wise?? So I wanted to be dead on! XD

I’m shooting for “as close as possible” without having to buy one of the ANOVOS helmets. I like mine to

fit and not cost an arm and a leg. Though, I might buy one just for collecting and actually looking at to

get the details right (reference, not recasting).