• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Introductions and Pending Forum Member Approval

Hello, everyone!  My name is Nikki, and I am in Ohio, so I’m looking to join Ohio garrison. I’ve wanted to create Mara since the first book, but have never done so. I’ve been lurking on the WIP board for a while looking for suggestions but I’m just starting my build.   I’m sure I’ll be looking for feedback in the near future. 

Hi all,

I'm Laura and I come from Australia. New to all this (I may have accidentally posted somewhere else before finding this thread sorry), and am not a member yet but wanting to make the leap. I'm not sure what garrison I am aiming for as I may be moving interstate soonish. I am attempting to get a 501st quality Darth Revan costume done though it may take a while.

Part of the reason for my interest is if I am moving it will be into a rural area so I won't have anyone I know, so it would be a good way to meet new people and have some fun doing good things. I've also always wanted to do some volunteer work and what better way than to dress up whiles doing it.

Hey all
I’m Amanda from Roanoke, VA. Moved down here about 4 or 5 years ago from Fairfax, VA. I currently have stuff to be an imperial reserve pilot minus the comm pad. Looking to put together Mara Jade. I’m in the Serrano Squad of Garrison Tyranus. Hoping to get approval this weekend at a con

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Everyone! 

My name is Grace, I’m from Buffalo NY, and thanks to my friends from Nickel City Squad, I have decided to join the Detachment as Dr. Aphra (and possibly a Jawa in the future) 

A few things are in progress already to make one of the “Red Vest” CRLs, but any tips and advice are greatly appreciated. Looking forward to meeting and trooping with more people soon! 

Regards,

Grace (aphra716)

Well hello there! whoops, this isn’t a Jedi friendly room lol! Anyways I’m Alex TI-3647 (retired) of Makaze Squad. Retired the TI for financial reasons but I’m back with a newly acquired Sith Acolyte (it’s not built yet, idk how to build it) my love for Star Wars and the joy it brings to everyone is what brought me to the legion! I can’t wait to start trooping with all of you (I travel the country for work so chances are y’all might meet me at a convention!) see y’all out there!

Hi there all,

I’m Mat from Torquay in the UK, a member of the UK Garrison (SL/TK 11897), I currently have an ESB TK and an ESB Darth Vader. Am moving onto doing something a bit different now as am starting a Sith Acolyte. Have just purchased a mask, so will be looking to pick folks brains as to where the best places are to look for the rest of the hard armour. Also am off to SWGEFL in a few weeks and am planning on building a lightsaber (or 2 ;p) would these Sabers be clearable with this costume?

Anyway am looking forward to getting to know you good folk here and getting my build underway, cheers!

Mat

SL/TK 11887

17 minutes ago, DarthMatty said:

Hi there all,

I’m Mat from Torquay in the UK, a member of the UK Garrison (SL/TK 11897), I currently have an ESB TK and an ESB Darth Vader. Am moving onto doing something a bit different now as am starting a Sith Acolyte. Have just purchased a mask, so will be looking to pick folks brains as to where the best places are to look for the rest of the hard armour. Also am off to SWGEFL in a few weeks and am planning on building a lightsaber (or 2 ;p) would these Sabers be clearable with this costume?

Anyway am looking forward to getting to know you good folk here and getting my build underway, cheers!

Mat

SL/TK 11887

Welcome! 

Here is the hilt style that matches the Acolyte. 

20150404_024536-1_med.jpeg

'Lo there folks, I'm Mike Thompson from Missouri, brand new to the Legion and joining up as (would you believe it?) Darth Revan.  Looking forward to making some new friends and taking over the galaxy enjoying trooping from the costuming side after helping handle at several events previously.  I'm excited to be able to enjoy the full experience and in my spare time I am a professional geek of many fandoms (and master of none), casual gamer, and am currently learning the glory and wonders of 3D printing.  I also am hoping to eventually expand my costuming repertoire both inside and out of the Legion, and am eager to learn how to improve costumes to the best of my ability.

May the Force serve us well!

G’day all

Tarok (TKID-27777), Knightfall Garrison, checking in.

I’m approved for a OT TK (ANH Stunt) and OT Imperial Officer (Staff).

Well before I joined I’d been looking at putting a Revan costume together, and recently started researching it again. In doing so I’ve become distracted by the Sith Acolyte costume which seems a bit easier to do. Given I’ve also got a ShoreTrooper on the go, whichever costume I do (why not both?!? Lol) will be a slow burn.

Hi everyone. I'm a prospective member from Orange, CA and hope to become a member of the Southern California Garrison. Having already personally built a screen-accurate Savage Opress lightsaber, I hope to also create a screen-accurate version of his costume to participate in 501st activities & charity events. Honestly, I've been a lurker for a while because I'm uncertain the screen-accurate version of Savage's costume I plan to create will gain 501st approval. The Savage Opress CRL indicates his chest armor is black. However, I have only ever seen his chest armor as dark brown.  I will continue researching what to do next. In the era of LCD screens, I can see how his chest armor can be mistaken for black, but even the chest armor in Lucasfilm-authorized costumes is dark brown.

I see dark brown on Savage and black on Maul:

maul-oppress.png

The left image is Lucasfilm-approved "Deluxe" savage costume with brown chest armor. In the image on the right, the stress areas on the breastplate are a light brown on my screens, indicating the armor isn't black, but dark brown.

savage-opress-starwars-collage.jpg

This image is a screengrab from Clone Wars - his armor is clearly brown. In this shot, unlike so many others, he is recovering from surgery and lit by medical lighting. I hate to be the FNG that says the CRL has inaccuracies, but I'm willing to do the necessary work to get it corrected. I simply need to know the process. :-D

l4Jn0fW.jpg

21 minutes ago, VentressFella said:

…but even the chest armor in Lucasfilm-authorized costumes is dark brown. 

I would not use that "licensed" costume as reference for anything. Focus on images from The Clone Wars. Like many things in TCW it is multi-tonal. 

If there are inaccuracies, you can work with the detachment leader and her team to address those and once cleared by the LMOs things could be adjusted.

Edited by ionicdesign

4 minutes ago, ionicdesign said:

I would not use that "licensed" costume as reference for anything. Focus on images from The Clone Wars. Like many things in TCW is multi-tonal. 

Thank you for the tip.

I see dark brown on Savage in these screenshots as well. In addition, the CRL doesn't mention the three slits on the breast of the chest armor, either.

Star-Wars-The-Clone-Wars-Season-6.jpeg

cybernetic_arm_by_dynamo1212_dcckoyy-ful

Darth-Maul-agreeing-to-ally-with-Pre-Viz

Here's the thing: these are animated characters. There isn't just one right answer because these are like art; the reference can support a handful of interpretations. 

The armor color is mottled, and is not just one color. I'll give an example of my favorite boots. These are black underneath, and the wax polish on top marked them look anything from grey to dark brown, but I know for a fact that the leather is black because I'm the one who put the polish on. 

m_59beedb5f0137d6456096adf.jpg

It is the weathering that dictates how people interpret it, but these are what they looked like when I bought them: 

716X6WaDu+L._UY500_.jpg

This is a real world translation of what the armor looks like in the cartoon.

Now to the CRL. It is an animated cartoon, and just like 99% of the rest of our CRLs in TFE, the colors change as much as the number of times the character is seen. There is an accepted level of colors on a gradient that could be argued for the character's armor, but that does not make the CRL wrong. We only make CRLs for, "variants" that are approved, otherwise we'd have a 48 page long CRL for Aphra, alone, with all the Barbie dress up versions she has in the comics. 

So the correct statement isn't, "how can we make it not inaccurate?", but, "do I have the references to validate my interpretation for approval, which can then be ADDED to the existing CRL that already has done so?". The answer to that lies with the Detachment Leader, LMO, and your GML on how well you replicate the references to the real world. 

• Like 3

On 9/4/2019 at 5:27 AM, DarthValkyria said:

Here's the thing: these are animated characters. There isn't just one right answer because these are like art; the reference can support a handful of interpretations. 

The armor color is mottled, and is not just one color. I'll give an example of my favorite boots. These are black underneath, and the wax polish on top marked them look anything from grey to dark brown, but I know for a fact that the leather is black because I'm the one who put the polish on. 

m_59beedb5f0137d6456096adf.jpg

It is the weathering that dictates how people interpret it, but these are what they looked like when I bought them: 

716X6WaDu+L._UY500_.jpg

This is a real world translation of what the armor looks like in the cartoon.

Now to the CRL. It is an animated cartoon, and just like 99% of the rest of our CRLs in TFE, the colors change as much as the number of times the character is seen. There is an accepted level of colors on a gradient that could be argued for the character's armor, but that does not make the CRL wrong. We only make CRLs for, "variants" that are approved, otherwise we'd have a 48 page long CRL for Aphra, alone, with all the Barbie dress up versions she has in the comics. 

So the correct statement isn't, "how can we make it not inaccurate?", but, "do I have the references to validate my interpretation for approval, which can then be ADDED to the existing CRL that already has done so?". The answer to that lies with the Detachment Leader, LMO, and your GML on how well you replicate the references to the real world. 

Thank you for taking the time to help me understand. I now regret lurking. :)

Hello there from Germany. I am here to help out my best friend in building a Doctor Aphra: gray jacket costume. So i am requesting full access to the TFE forums.

ID: 20113

Garrison: German Garrison

Detachment: Spec Ops

http://www.501st.com/members/displaymemberdetails.php?userID=30612 

Hello everyone!  I'm a prospective member from Edmonton, and would be a member of The Badlands Garrison.

I'm interested in making a few different costumes actually, but the first one that I would like to make is the Second Sister from Jedi Fallen Order, and Maris Brood Force Unleashed. For the Second Sister I am having a hard time trying to find all the references photos you need to create a costume that is screen accurate. And trying to figure out what the best material to make most of the costume out of.

I would love to be able to  get some tips and tricks on how to build a Second Sister and  Maris Brood which would be worth to join the 501st

I started researching the 501st after A friend of mine told me about the Saber guild, and quickly realized that this would be an awesome way to combine my love of star wars costumes and community building/volunteering. Been doing a lot of research and already browsed the CRLs and created an account on the Flag Ship forum.

Hello there! 

Coincidentally, I'm also looking to make the Second Sister (@ the person above me lol)! I got the pin from celebration and saw her in the trailer, I fell in love with her look. Im so glad there are other people looking to cosplay/make her. Hopefully we can all connect and work together to bring her to the 501st! 

Welcome to everyone here looking to start costumes! I just wanted to point out that with the new video game, there is a specific section for unapproved video game Work In Progresses (WIPs) here!

https://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forums/index.php?/forum/234-miscellaneous-video-game-characters/

This is where you will want to start posting your build updates (especially for you Second Sisters!).

Hello.

I’m Diogo and I will be applying to the Portuguese garrison.

im currently starting to make a Sith robes starkiller. I already started with one of the most expensive pieces (the saber xp).

I’m already a member of the Rebel legion with a generic Jedi but I’m thinking after my Sith robes Sk, i might build a Sk too.

Hello everyone! I'm Alex from Georgia and have joined the Georgia Garrison already. I love Star Wars and have wanted to join the 501st for years but never had the opportunity until now. I love the Old Republic era and really want to build either a Darth Nihilus or Darth Revan but I can't decide on one! 

I look forward to chatting with you all and sharing my love of Star Wars!

• Like 1

Hi all, 

I'm new here. Current member of MMCC , Attempting to join 501st Singapore Garrison . Working on my Seventh Sister costume right now.

I hope to join this detachment if my application is approved.

Hello friends!  I'm a prospective member for the Bloodfin Garrison, and have been a handler for my father-in-law (Shadow Trooper, Imperial Officer, Imperial Gunner, Lord Vader), and wife (Snow Trooper, Imperial Royal Guard) for the last 4-5 years.  I'm interested in doing a Mandalore the Ultimate costume, and have started to figure out what I will need to get it together.  I don't have a TKID, or any other 501st memberships outside of this.

• Like 2

Greetings from Hoth!

Well, actually Northern Alberta Canada.

SoulArt/TK-41307/Geeky Pink Gaskets

I am currently a proud member of The Badlands Garrison of which I am PR Officer of for the past few years, as well as Squad Leader of newly formed Crimson Aurora in the North of Alberta Canada.

I have been trying to complete a Mara Jade-Black body suit for years. Ugh. Exasperating! Discouraging!

In the hope I could lose some weight for myself only, to feel comfortable in the costume and do it the Justice I wanted her to have. (It’s unforgiving and I feel super self conscious in it, but I promised some Garrison family come hell or high water I’d finish it and submit. Regardless if I ripped myself out of my comfort zone.)

Here I am...

ripping myself out of it, and posting some pics until I take better submission photos for 501st, Saber Guild and Rebel Legion and replace my current zipper with an invisible one.

I’d like to start a WIP and post help for all those trying to create this dang body suit. Offer sewing help. I’d like to redo my cape, and create both a brown and another tan. I have both a Black and Tan cowl as well.

I’m currently submitting with a Vader red bladed saber for 501st, and purple blade for Saber.

I’m awaiting my Emperors Hand saber from Ultra Sabers. (For Rebel approval)

To be honest, the upcoming shirt was also my big rush to get this completed. So I could actually have it!) eb654eadc937842380fc5f7351daebc1.jpgc9b64127f9d602e334ea01caae7a82eb.jpg06bd32060b431ddb173480ff6f30ce55.jpg47c2626c8ae8b9de25a9e13bf603b48d.jpg63403e8ad0a46528b7bce08d67041a91.jpg88b8e788cdbf94b484f2e86a33f9baec.jpga6f40c999f0f1b650d70be969ae215b2.jpg3a745bd96b70081fb4d4824a0bb4707a.jpgdc030e2b6707abc0d4443d8a54da1121.jpgbee5c7ba68cade9d9b7547f40c469459.jpgc16c384f99f12752345fd21c6914e25b.jpgc14dc354154eab9f019e150007b893b7.jpgc217cd4f63bf4c3d74edf435e9efff01.jpgcd471ec0bfbfcb14745fa757cbb2c964.jpgf6c5ee7c91598d2c9f551d8753188d34.jpg

When I have photos I feel are submission worthy, I’ll post my approval.

I’m very excited to FINALLY finally have her done, and excited to join Saber and Rebel!

Please do point me in the direction to begin a build thread. I hope I can be helpful to others.

Thank you all for your time.

(Nina... for allowing me to message you with pics to prove I was REALLY working on her!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk