• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Introductions and Pending Forum Member Approval

Hey.... Is there a way for us to post a new thread with our costume in progress to track it (in the forum page)?  It seems to be locked down.... at least on my end....  Thanks!  Started my Darth Traya and want to keep track of it....

Nevermind-- either one of you fixed it, or I am finally awake enough to figure it out.  :-) 

Problem solved!  :-)

Hello, I built a TK over in the FISD and have enjoyed trooping with Garrison Excelsior for a couple years now.

I've been planning to make a Savage Opress for a while and am finally getting down to really doing it.  It looks like there's no CRL, so I guess I'll be finding out how to navigate that.  From what I've read here, and I've only scanned through quickly so far, it seems like there might or might not be one person who has actually finished an Opress, and I've seen one or two in other cosplay forums.  But there have been at least a handful of people who have at least started one, so I'll be happy to get any feedback or tips from anyone farther down the road.  It especially seems like the big question everyone else was wrestling with, which is also my own big question, is how to deal with the shirt, which could be a variety of materials and/or forms of constructions.  I've got a couple ideas I may try on that.  Anyway that's probably a question for a build thread, so I guess I'll find out where to start that soon.

Looking forward to getting to know a new group of people, and trying out an all-new set of skills, since this costume will push me into very different materials from my normal experience.

So hello!

Actually, what IS the best place to put a build thread here?  It looks like there are threads both under the Costume & Prop gallery and also under the 501st Approved Costumes >then that specific costume.  Just want to get it in the right place.

I also forgot to mention that my wife is making a Ventress (Night Sisters).  She's just doing it on her and not for the 501st, but this will be a nice resource for her to check in on to see others' costumes.

Hello all,

I registered on this forum some time ago and decided it was time to introduce myself. My wife and I are planning on doing Sith costumes (Darth Nihilus for myself and Darth Traya for my wife) and are trying to gather as much information as we can.

As of 31 August, 2015, I am a member of  Mile High Squad, Mountain Garrison, 501st Legion as an Imperial Staff Officer (Commander) and would like my wife's entry costume to be Darth Traya. We look forward to getting to know you all.

Hello,

My name is James Hair TK46800 with the UK Garrison. I'm now entering my third year with the Legion. I currently troop as TK, ANH Tusken Raider & ROTJ Emperor, and now, as seems to be the standard, I'm looking to do my next build. This will be the first time I've deviated from the original trilogy, so going to be a bit of a departure for me. Looking at building a Starkiller - Raxus Prime Heavy Training Gear costume. Going to scratch build everything, so going to start on the hard parts & see how I go from there....

TD/TS 10602 here. Im a GWL for Star Garrison so I like to be a member of each detachment in case I have any questions on how costumes should be presented.

TD/TS 10602 here. Im a GWL for Star Garrison so I like to be a member of each detachment in case I have any questions on how costumes should be presented.

Hello! My name is Charity. I am TKID#12785 with the Florida Garrison (Tampa Bay Squad). I am currently a reserve pilot, and my TIE should be completed within the next couple of weeks. (I am also working on a Zam, but that has been a WIP for a year and a half, and who knows when that will be done... lol!) I joined this forum, because I am going to start on a bounty hunter Ventress. I look forward to getting to know everyone here. :)

Hey guys, so my name is Marco, I live in Tacoma, WA so I guess I'd be joining Garrison Titan. I'm looking to do a Darth Revan, Sith Acolyte, Starkiller, and Darth Sion. Have been a Star Wars fan for 20 years now and it's a major part of my life. I'll definitely be getting my daughter involved as she gets older!! So I'm really excited to further myself to becoming a 501st member and I would love any input on how to go about getting one of these costumes made (preferably Acolyte first) PLEASE let me know!! Lol

Hello I'm Stephanie and I live in Oceanside, Ca.

I am working towards joining 501st as Mara Jade. I have begun my Mara costuming journey and am making upgrades whenever possible (I attached a pic :D ). I am looking forward to the advice from the forums, and from knowledgeable members. I have loved Star Wars since I was young and love to do costuming. I am looking to join the SoCal Garrison, San Diego area :)

Looking forward to meeting as many of you as I can :)

post-706-0-24853300-1446520013_thumb.jpg

Hey guys my is name Hunter. im currently working on a sith acolyte and i really want to do Darth Revan. Im from Pittsburgh, Pa my local garrison is Garrison Carida. Hope to join soon i look forward to talking to you guys. 

Hello all, my name is Josh. I am currently looking at building a darth nihilus. If a should get accepted into th 501st I would be joining the Central Garrison. I look forward to interacting with you all and getting my costume started.

Big post incoming, I've been the only one doing Admin duties for the site so I'm a little behind, sadly this is one of the areas I didn't get to...  So let's welcome some people!

Hello, I built a TK over in the FISD and have enjoyed trooping with Garrison Excelsior for a couple years now.

I've been planning to make a Savage Opress for a while and am finally getting down to really doing it.  It looks like there's no CRL, so I guess I'll be finding out how to navigate that.  From what I've read here, and I've only scanned through quickly so far, it seems like there might or might not be one person who has actually finished an Opress, and I've seen one or two in other cosplay forums.  But there have been at least a handful of people who have at least started one, so I'll be happy to get any feedback or tips from anyone farther down the road.  It especially seems like the big question everyone else was wrestling with, which is also my own big question, is how to deal with the shirt, which could be a variety of materials and/or forms of constructions.  I've got a couple ideas I may try on that.  Anyway that's probably a question for a build thread, so I guess I'll find out where to start that soon.

Looking forward to getting to know a new group of people, and trying out an all-new set of skills, since this costume will push me into very different materials from my normal experience.

So hello!

Actually, what IS the best place to put a build thread here?  It looks like there are threads both under the Costume & Prop gallery and also under the 501st Approved Costumes >then that specific costume.  Just want to get it in the right place.

I also forgot to mention that my wife is making a Ventress (Night Sisters).  She's just doing it on her and not for the 501st, but this will be a nice resource for her to check in on to see others' costumes.

Definitely under the actualy costume that you're making.   If something needs to be moved, we can always do that too.   If you need further help getting information on the costume, please contact me directly and I'll do anything I can to put you in contact with experts on that costume.

Hello all,

I registered on this forum some time ago and decided it was time to introduce myself. My wife and I are planning on doing Sith costumes (Darth Nihilus for myself and Darth Traya for my wife) and are trying to gather as much information as we can.

As of 31 August, 2015, I am a member of  Mile High Squad, Mountain Garrison, 501st Legion as an Imperial Staff Officer (Commander) and would like my wife's entry costume to be Darth Traya. We look forward to getting to know you all.

Welcome Bulldog, I've gone ahead and updated your status to 501st Member, you should have better access now.  We have some great Trayas so there is plenty of information out ther for you.  if you ever need any help, don't hesitate to ask!

Hello,
My name is James Hair TK46800 with the UK Garrison. I'm now entering my third year with the Legion. I currently troop as TK, ANH Tusken Raider & ROTJ Emperor, and now, as seems to be the standard, I'm looking to do my next build. This will be the first time I've deviated from the original trilogy, so going to be a bit of a departure for me. Looking at building a Starkiller - Raxus Prime Heavy Training Gear costume. Going to scratch build everything, so going to start on the hard parts & see how I go from there....

That should be quite excellent to see James.   Please be sure to post plenty of pictures, not only so we can help answer any questions you have better, but so that future costumers can see what you did and what you learned as you went along.

Boom!  I approved you as a 501st Member on the forum, you should have better access now.  Glad to have you, if you ever need direct contact my e-mail/PM is always open and I tend to respond quite quickly.

CDVM85, on 27 Oct 2015 - 06:28 AM, said:

Hello! My name is Charity. I am TKID#12785 with the Florida Garrison (Tampa Bay Squad). I am currently a reserve pilot, and my TIE should be completed within the next couple of weeks. (I am also working on a Zam, but that has been a WIP for a year and a half, and who knows when that will be done... lol!) I joined this forum, because I am going to start on a bounty hunter Ventress. I look forward to getting to know everyone here. :)

Hi Charity, I'll be sure to get your forum status updated after I post this.  I have a current costume that is going on 3 years, no sweat, just don't ever quit.   Also, we, and your Garrison are here to help you every step of the way.   Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Delacruz253, on 29 Oct 2015 - 8:43 PM, said:

Hey guys, so my name is Marco, I live in Tacoma, WA so I guess I'd be joining Garrison Titan. I'm looking to do a Darth Revan, Sith Acolyte, Starkiller, and Darth Sion. Have been a Star Wars fan for 20 years now and it's a major part of my life. I'll definitely be getting my daughter involved as she gets older!! So I'm really excited to further myself to becoming a 501st member and I would love any input on how to go about getting one of these costumes made (preferably Acolyte first) PLEASE let me know!! Lol

Hey there Marco.  Welcome.   That is quite the list of costumes.  I see dollar signs and lots of hours of work in your future.   But there's nothing wrong with that.   I'd say for the Acolyte, start over on those boards, dig around for information.  Mynock's posts in particular are a good starting point.  Then ask questions as you go.

stephiejune4, on 02 Nov 2015 - 9:07 PM, said:

Hello I'm Stephanie and I live in Oceanside, Ca.

I am working towards joining 501st as Mara Jade. I have begun my Mara costuming journey and am making upgrades whenever possible (I attached a pic :D ). I am looking forward to the advice from the forums, and from knowledgeable members. I have loved Star Wars since I was young and love to do costuming. I am looking to join the SoCal Garrison, San Diego area :)

Looking forward to meeting as many of you as I can  :)

Hi Stephanie!   Start a build thread over on the Mara section and we've got some great folks who can really help you with any areas to improve, or commend you on a job well done.

Deathfett, on 03 Nov 2015 - 10:28 AM, said:

Hey guys my is name Hunter. im currently working on a sith acolyte and i really want to do Darth Revan. Im from Pittsburgh, Pa my local garrison is Garrison Carida. Hope to join soon i look forward to talking to you guys.

Welcome Hunter, be sure to check out the threads we already have, and then start one of your own to help us better help you along the way.

eliste, on 08 Nov 2015 - 10:33 AM, said:

Hey folks!

Just got my clearance for my Mara Jade so I am officially DS-87544. Very excited to finally get cleared with the Legion and would love to officially join the detachment.

Attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447000392.667809.jpg

Hi Eliste congrats on your approval.  Be sure to go over to the forums at 501st.com.   Then Click MembershipDB on the left side of the screen, Then [Your Profile Data], then down to [Your Unit Affiliation] and then hit [Edit]   You'll be able to add the Flagship Eclipse there.   Please contact me directly if you have any troubles with that.

jcam1228, on 09 Nov 2015 - 12:34 AM, said:
Hello all, my name is Josh. I am currently looking at building a darth nihilus. If a should get accepted into th 501st I would be joining the Central Garrison. I look forward to interacting with you all and getting my costume started.

Hi Josh, Central Garrison is my peoples.   I troop with you all as much as I do my own Garrison.  See you at the next Banquet for sure!    Start over on the Nihilus threads and read EVERYTHING you possibly can.   There's a ton of info out there and the more you read the better off you'll be.  Then as always feel free to ask questions.   If you ever need extra help, be sure to hit me up.

Cypher Lx, on 13 Nov 2015 - 12:25 AM, said:

Hello. My name is Sheri', also known as Cypher Lx. I'm currently a Cadet with Garrison Carida and I'm working on my Sinya build. I also plan on a Mother Talzin build in the near future.

Hi Sheri'!   You would be the second Sinya in the 501st then.  That is quite exciting.  We also only have 2 Mother Talzin, but each of those three costumes are quite great.  We'd love to help you as much as possible and transition you from Cadet to 501st Member as swiftly as possible.  Glad to have you!

Hi Sheri'!   You would be the second Sinya in the 501st then.  That is quite exciting.  We also only have 2 Mother Talzin, but each of those three costumes are quite great.  We'd love to help you as much as possible and transition you from Cadet to 501st Member as swiftly as possible.  Glad to have you!

Thanks. I did peruse the Mother Talzin threads. There's a lot of good information there. I saw there wasn't much for Sinya, but I think i'm doing well so far. I have a lot of great help within my Garrison. I guess I'll begin my own Sinya thread. Any suggestions or opinions would be welcome.

Thanks. I did peruse the Mother Talzin threads. There's a lot of good information there. I saw there wasn't much for Sinya, but I think i'm doing well so far. I have a lot of great help within my Garrison. I guess I'll begin my own Sinya thread. Any suggestions or opinions would be welcome.

If I recall, she created hers and BAM submitted a costume that still stands as one of my personal favorites in the unit.  I don't remember her posting a lot of things other than the finished product.  However, if you get to a point that you'd like to contact her, I can try and make that connection for you.  Best of luck and use all resources you can, local and online! :)

Hi all my name is Zak and i am from London England

Currently working on Boba fett (so far one year) and just started Kylo Ren, i have my own grey jedi too  

Welcome Zak, we have a lot of great folks, including the first Kylo Ren approval among our membership.  We're glad to have you.

Hi there!

I'm Shelby and I'm from Seattle WA (USA). I am just getting into this but am very excited!  I've read the Hand of Thrawn trilogy every summer since I was in 7th grade (~15 years) so I'm clearly an EU fan. I am a book person, not a comic person though so my knowledge of EU slightly limited by that.

I am mainly looking for help with the props/pieces. I am specifically working on my imperial rank bars for the Admiral Daala costume I did this year for Halloween (more pics below).

My mom loves making costumes, here I am as princess Leia and my brother as an X-wing pilot (ignore the miscellaneous neighbor between us) made entirely by her, so I have a great seamstress who wants to do this with me.

305184_295133977182525_332415779_n%201_z

This year I threw together an Admiral Daala costume for Halloween and I'm looking to make it "real". I talked to my mom about it on the 29th and she scored at the thrift store and we got this together:

ec8fd839-a303-4315-aad6-2d3fd8ba19b9_zps

I used a real gun belt that I had from a Walking Dead costume from my dad who is a county sheriff, which I know isn't accurate :D

By the 31st I had a much better rank bar put together (but don't have a full shot of the costume)

IMG_20151031_195737_zps1hufwwi2.jpg

And I've always considering cosplaying as Mara Jade but I don't really have the body/confidence to pull off the body suit. 

So, hi! I'm not sure if this is the best place to start but I'll be lurking and trying to learn what I can about rank bars and code cylinders.  

-Shelby

post-1468-0-14648900-1448092076_thumb.jpg

Hello, I'm Shelly from South Dakota. I have been working on an imperial officer for myself and have almost completed Royal Guard robes for my husband. When we are approved we will be joining the Central Garrison. I am hoping to begin making a Visas Marr after the Holidays any my husband is interested in possibly doing Kir Kanos. Looking forward to being a part of the 501st!

Hi everyone,

My name is Tyler Jordan from Charleston South Carolina. Hoping to eventually become a member of the Carolina Garrison. Planning to start a Nihilus costume soon, but not very sure where to start getting all of the pieces that I need. Been looking around a lot of the existing Nihilus forums, and have found a place to get my mask and saber, but still not sure where to get the robes, tunics, gloves, boots, ect. Very happy to start my journey to becoming a member of the 501st. I have been a Star Wars fan a very long time, and feel that it is my duty to the empire and to the force. Looking forward to talking to all of you!

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.

Hello,

My name is Anna.  I'm a member of Garrison Tyranus in Virginia.  I have an olive officer costume.  I also am a member of Rebel Legion.  I'm working on a Doctor Aphra from the new VAder comics and wasn't sure if she would maybe be part of this detachment in the future.  

Hi there!

I'm Shelby and I'm from Seattle WA (USA). I am just getting into this but am very excited!  I've read the Hand of Thrawn trilogy every summer since I was in 7th grade (~15 years) so I'm clearly an EU fan. I am a book person, not a comic person though so my knowledge of EU slightly limited by that.

I am mainly looking for help with the props/pieces. I am specifically working on my imperial rank bars for the Admiral Daala costume I did this year for Halloween (more pics below).

My mom loves making costumes, here I am as princess Leia and my brother as an X-wing pilot (ignore the miscellaneous neighbor between us) made entirely by her, so I have a great seamstress who wants to do this with me.

This year I threw together an Admiral Daala costume for Halloween and I'm looking to make it "real". I talked to my mom about it on the 29th and she scored at the thrift store and we got this together:

I used a real gun belt that I had from a Walking Dead costume from my dad who is a county sheriff, which I know isn't accurate :D

By the 31st I had a much better rank bar put together (but don't have a full shot of the costume)

And I've always considering cosplaying as Mara Jade but I don't really have the body/confidence to pull off the body suit. 

So, hi! I'm not sure if this is the best place to start but I'll be lurking and trying to learn what I can about rank bars and code cylinders.  

-Shelby

Nice work Shelby, you're really on your way already.   For any upgrades you may be looking for to get more accurate with your costume, be sure to dig in and see what information we have available.  As always, check the original sources as well, and then feel free to ask questions you may have.  Welcome!

Hello, I'm Shelly from South Dakota. I have been working on an imperial officer for myself and have almost completed Royal Guard robes for my husband. When we are approved we will be joining the Central Garrison. I am hoping to begin making a Visas Marr after the Holidays any my husband is interested in possibly doing Kir Kanos. Looking forward to being a part of the 501st!

Welcome Shelly, I'm just spitting distance south of Omaha, so I hope to see you two at a troop some time.   We've got all that information and more.   If you have questions don't hesitate to ask, that's what we're here for.

Hi everyone,

My name is Tyler Jordan from Charleston South Carolina. Hoping to eventually become a member of the Carolina Garrison. Planning to start a Nihilus costume soon, but not very sure where to start getting all of the pieces that I need. Been looking around a lot of the existing Nihilus forums, and have found a place to get my mask and saber, but still not sure where to get the robes, tunics, gloves, boots, ect. Very happy to start my journey to becoming a member of the 501st. I have been a Star Wars fan a very long time, and feel that it is my duty to the empire and to the force. Looking forward to talking to all of you!

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.

Welcome Tyler.  Nihilus is one of our most popular costumes and as a result there's a lot of crafters out there and a lot of information.  Be sure to check out the boards.  Nefthys in particular is one of our costume mentors who specializes in that costume.

Hello,

My name is Anna.  I'm a member of Garrison Tyranus in Virginia.  I have an olive officer costume.  I also am a member of Rebel Legion.  I'm working on a Doctor Aphra from the new VAder comics and wasn't sure if she would maybe be part of this detachment in the future.  

Hi Anna, welcome.   I'm sadly not caught up on the comics, but most of our costumes end up coming from comics and video games, if nothing else, we're familiar with staring at panels and trying to figure out what is going on.  I suggest starting a research thread in our research section and include what source material you have available.   Even if it doesn't end up with us in the long run, we're still happy to help develop a costume with you.

Hi everyone. 

I am Jérôme, a french guy, so my apologies for my bad english, and my  grammar mistakes. Currently, I am not yet a member of any Garrison, but my aim is to join the French one. One of my aim is to finish a costume of...*drums* Darth Nihilus, the Lord of Hunger. 

I have never play to KOTOR nor COTF, but his costume is the one I prefer, when I look for Sith Lord. 

For now, the only costume I have is a Mandalorian one, but a custom one, and I don't have alreadw all pieces. I come here in order to find helps, and after my short readings of different topics, I am prettw sure I will find help :)