• Announcement

Welcome to the forums!

If you are a newly-approved member, make sure you check out the New Member Checklist!

If you are a Detachment member and can't see the member-only area, post here for access.

-DV

Kylo Ren

Tags

Not sure where Kylo will belong, I've been told he is just an admirer of the Sith so he may

not be a true Sith Lord, so for now I'll stick to the EU boards.

So saw some pics of Kylo Ren... And I think he will have be one of my costumes... Heard

the rumors about the fabric but I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on what might

be possible to use...

Other thing is what is he wearing obviously he has an outer robe going on but what is

he wearing under it, seem some images that show what appear to be pants...

I'm eager to build this costume but I am inclined to follow someone else's footsteps.

hope you don't mind, but i too am interested in doing this, and i have begun research on him already, and i think i might know what fabric his coat is made out of.

i was looking at it and it came to me, when if the fabric his coat was made out of similar to that of fabric some weaved carpets are made out of?  Or better yet, upholstery fabric

closest i can find on the internet is this, but it is poly urethane coated

a-1040-basketweave-color-3-b_zpsgaaw1m7b

the funny thing is i am a cadet in the same garrison you are in so maybe we can work together on it!  in the mean time i shall try to get more pictures of kylo rens outfit at CVII.

and as far as where he belongs, he might be moved to the sith lords detachment.

(and sorry if i hijacked your thread a little)

I have some pics of his robe, wish we could get a view of his under cloths, but for now this will have to do... SL detachment seems to be keeping him at arms length because he isn't "Darth Ren". Any input is more then welcome... Figuring this fabric out will be the first step. Found this as well, maybe be a primising lead.

https://www.lesouk.co/envirotextiles#collection

10347501_10153336367970649_6544615244918

11150323_10153336373410649_2419146960149

i know the pants are a brownish denim i think (let me take a look at it tomorrow) and there is some artwork references to his boots, for the under shirt i would assume would be a brown cotton shirt with ribbed sleeves.

kylo%20ren%20psoter%202_zpswudpmcr0.jpg

and that his top robe has 3 splits, one in the center and 2 on the side

and i think the top coat which i assume is the hood/cape is monk cloth because that is the only material i can find, and the mid coat is wool and similar.

we'll need better images of his pants... ; / The coloring is hard to discern from this image, I've been told he is in all black but the pics I have the lighting washes it out so they appear to be brown... Guess it's possible. The boots appear to be simple enough, but there looks to be straps around them...

A few ideas for the outer coat... These look similar, they are a basket weave but they will be expensive.

https://www.lesouk.co/material/black-hemp-canvas-basket-weave-3415

http://www.fabricguru.com/p-fabricut/woven-upholstery-fabric-pewter-black

i think the pewter black fabric just wont get the correct flowing of material, and looking at the description of monk cloth it actually matches the one above a little, "basket weaved cotton"

see the resemblance?

black%20monk%20cloth_zpsmnoz5rqu.jpg

it also has the same frilled edges look

we'll need better images of his pants... ; / The coloring is hard to discern from this image, I've been told he is in all black but the pics I have the lighting washes it out so they appear to be brown... Guess it's possible. The boots appear to be simple enough, but there looks to be straps around them...

when i go to the force awakens room today i shall confirm the color, and i'll see if i can peek up his robe... hehe

and the closest i can find for now on the mid robe is some sort of basket weave wool

woven%20wool_zpsgjdilgm4.jpg

basket%20weeve%20wool_zpsh5yt8uwh.jpg

We need imgaes of that mid coat... And we need to figure the sleaves out I wonder how they achieved that look.

the sleeves is a very long sleeve folded and sewn in and it widens at the hand and there is a zipper going down the inner part.  turns out the mid coat is underneath the robes and it is basically a black cotton ribbed vest that goes over the under tunic (which holds the sleeves)  and i have gotten a pic of it somewhere.

Well I think we have figure a way to do the sleeves... it will be tedious but it shoudl work...

going to be a damn hot costume.

I have a few sabers being worked on at the moment, once those clear I will look into getting a Kylo Ren saber built... Least that will be one roblem tackled

i found the fabric we need!!!!

68540010_zpsfeg6eivy.jpg

link to website to buy called Monk's cloth 60", it would need to be died black though and need to be coated in liquid wax or clear coat to get the waxy look.

Monks cloth comesi n black I wonder if we could buy this in black... Do you have a link to a store selling it?

I've been working dilligently on trying to figure things out on this one so I can hopefully have one ready by the premiere. I'm about to post all of the research I've done so far so bear with me as all of these were short facebook posts :P

This page has the best quality pictures I've found so far:
http://collider.com/star-wars-7-costumes-props-klyo-rens-lightsaber/

materials placard:
http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/star-wars-7-kylo-ren-costume.jpg

At the moment, this is the closest material I've found. At first I too thought it was monks cloth, but it didn't sit well with me that most of what I was finding was 4x4 knit and the picture clearly shows a very thick pile 2x2 knit. Now that I found the placard, it says coated cotton basket weave, and I found chenille cotton basket weave that despite the lack of coating, resembles the tattering on the back shawl. I have a swatch ordered, and will update when it arrives. (As chenille it would also match some of the shiny speckling you see on the hood in the lava scene)

http://www.fabricempire.com/chenille-solid-basket-weave-black-fabric-59-wide-sold-by-the-yard.aspx
SolidBasketWeave6BLACK4.jpg

This is also the first pic I've seen that actually shows the existence of the mid robe listed on the placard (look under the arm gusset.) I could be mistaken, but it looks pleated if you zoom in enough. I think from the lack of skirting for it in any of the action shots so far, that either its connected to the outer robe or it only comes down to the waist.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/op9qruqq6dttih2ybzmh.jpg

After staring at it for the better part of the day, I can confirm that there is a seam on the inside of the sleeve, and it's not just one long continuous spiral.

post-27-0-28925000-1429605127_thumb.jpg

buckle - looks like 3 layers of plastic staggered in size with the top layer split down the center.
belt design is 1 piece of black leather with 2 smaller strips glued over the top and bottom edge.

post-27-0-15325000-1429605159_thumb.jpg

Unless there's a seam in the back under the shawl (unlikely given this pic and gif), the front buckle is also the closure.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20141129005402/starwars/images/4/4b/KyloRen.png
https://31.media.tumblr.com/58ab1a0d91618ca20210678b564ebb18/tumblr_nfrsq6lYYD1rlheeoo1_500.gif

Still unsure what the lightsaber clip is.

post-27-0-31296200-1429605217_thumb.jpg

I am also unsure of the brand of gloves they used. Given the reinforced knuckles, I would almost bet on some sort of riding glove..

post-27-0-20050100-1429605242_thumb.jpg

phew :P
And that's what I've figured out so far on my own.

I do agree after seeing your post over on SLD that they're keeping him at arms length, but I have no idea why. He would be the only other film version costume that they wouldn't cover, canon or not, sith or not.

My swatch has shipped as of this morning, so I'll be keeping a wary eye on my mail box. (it has been murder to keep myself from just going gung ho and buying 3+ yards of it)

I'm not entirely sure where you're getting brown from, everything I've seen looks pretty black, but I could always be mistaken.

Hello Friends! I am currently working my way through the entire Kylo Ren costume. I took over 500 photos of the costume and I have done a number of legion 1st through out my time here. I will be casting and selling masks and belt buckles. Just so I don't have to repete myself please see our conversation on the Sith Lord Forums under research and development.

I am approx 40% done with the entire costume and I will be posting a Full progress, tutorial and WIP on how to make and what to buy. I have no secrets and it's no secret I am trying to do the legion 1st on this costume.

Mtfbwy!!

Keep in mind I am just a seamstress who makes these costumes and have been for years. The following is based on research.

I'll try and address a couple questions

There are 35 pleates per arm and the costumer is zippered into it.

It also has a small trim around the zipper edge.

The belt buckle is under the design in the front and its velcrowed behind that design

Component wise there are 4 layers:

1.Cotton shirt with pleates

2. Doublet in wool

3. Surcoat in basket weave

4. Capelet with hood in weave material

Materials

Belt

Buckle

Lightsaber clip on right

Mask with attached helmet

Pants

Boots

Lightsaber

Material

I used 5 yards of material to achieve the sleeve pleates

11 yards of basket weave

20 boxes of dye

Boots

The shoes have 3 anakin style straps going around the boots. 2 at the top and one at the bottom

Pants

The black denim jeans are plain looking.

Helmet

The helmet is 6 layers deep. I am constructing my prototype in Sintra for the mask

Good luck my friends

Pm or post if you have any questions for me.

Also..

From my observations none of the costume is brown. Some of it is a dirty black or more weathered look is all.

That monks cloth you guys posted is way to small of a weave

The weave on kylos costume is 5-6 double weaves per sq inch.

This is 12 double weaves per square inch

It's a shame to because it's perfect in zoom. But in person I think this will be way to small

Gloves:

Nothing on the thumb

Index :large circle

Other three fingers : long strips with two trim edges and one horizontal wrapping line across each bend of the finger

pardon my shock but why in the world did you need 11 yards of basket weave? I can imagine using 4 of a 60" at most. Is there something I'm missing?

From what you saw, what did you think of the basket weave I posted?

I kinda figured as much on the boots and pants. Any ideas on the gloves so far?

The lightsaber clip on the belt and on the lightsaber look to be magnets.  They are both the same size

and shape.

As for the gloves, I've seem some almost identical to those.  I purchased them from an AAFES at Ft. Hood

back in 2004 before I took my first hop to Iraq.  They're a leather combat glove.